dcsimg

Bosch branded T Handle Tanos Systainer 2… not Sortimo L-Boxxes

This topic contains 48 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author

CB
    Pro

I hadn’t seen these before, and was wondering if any of you have them?

CB
    Pro

Here are more photos of them clicked together, using the same T handle, hinge pivot mounting principle as version 2 of the Festool Systainers, while still being compatible with the original version 1 of the same, with four snaps instead of the T handle.

In the photo immediately above, notice the indentations where the original Systainer system can index and attach, along with the Makita MakPak system and other Tanos built storage boxes, both new and old.

These are undoubtedly Bosch branded. The questions are:

Which countries or markets are these currently available in?

Will they be made available in North America?

Will the current (now updated) Sortimo built L-Boxxes be continued concurrently?

Will one system supplant the other, since both systems (Systainer and Sortimo) are incompatible with each other?

Doobie
    Pro

These are undoubtedly Bosch branded.

How do you know that? They could be Chinese fake products.

CB
    Pro

They could be Chinese fake products.

Would it make any difference?

Every Bosch product I’ve purchased over the last two years has been Made In China. I assume the tools I bought are not Chinese fakes?.

Doobie
    Pro

They could be Chinese fake products.

Would it make any difference?

Every Bosch product I’ve purchased over the last two years has been Made In China. I assume the tools I bought are not Chinese fakes?.

The diff would be quality and durability if they are fakes. I won’t touch what I think is black market fake knock offs. Worst than dollar store crap imo.

Makita makes Systainer style storage boxes that are fairly made made in China. I’d try those. In fact I’ve been thinking about getting some of them this past year, but I just don’t know for sure whether they are compatible with my current Classic and newer Systainers. Need to call Makita this week on something else, and I should ask them.

CB
    Pro

I have one of the Makita branded Systainers. They are click compatible with the Classic four clip style Systainer, as well as the new style T Handle Systainer. Obviously, if clicked to a new style T handle, the mid stack openable feature will not be available for the Makita box, but they do attach.

They are made in China. The Maktia branded systainers have an improved radius edge on the lids that the original Systainers lacked.

CB
    Pro

Getting back to Bosch…

Before Bosch adopted the Sortimo box platform, Bosch worked with Tanos to produce a Bosch branded Systainer. Here is a classic version of the same:

It doesn’t seem unreasonable for there to have also been a brief period where Bosch commissioned their branding on the new T handle Systainer , perhaps after abandoning the Systainer Classic, and prior to Bosch’s adoption of the Sortimo boxes.

I’m just learning about all these boxes. I’ve carried most of my tools in wooden carpenter boxes that I’ve cobbled together over the years, until a local dairy went out of business and I could justify using their milkcrates without running afoul of the law.

If it were not for BTP, I’d never know about L Boxxes or Systainers, because I’ve never seen ANYONE show up with this kind of floor to ceiling click and stack madness at any site I’ve worked on. Stanley FAT Max stuff on wheels I’ve seen. Big beer coolers on wheels I’ve seen. Never seen an L-Boxx in person until one was finally sent to me by Bosch.

I can’t tell one Chinese plastic box from another. It’s a cheap plastic bin, that is overpriced due to the design. I imagine it would cost more in manufacturing to retool the plastic to be cheaper, than it would to simply duplicate more of what they already have, since the injection tooling for the “real” boxes is already in China anyway.

And with all those big bold red Bosch labels on the tops and sides of the boxes, it would be kind of hard to hide from Bosch’s worldwide legal eagles if the boxes were fake. Bosch has a very large presence in the Chinese manufacturing province, and every company doing business there is reported to have an indigenous partner who is “well-connected” to someone in government. A phone call would likely put a stop to anything that would cross a big player like Bosch.

There are a bazzilion batteries out there that are fakes, that fit in name brand tools, but do not actually have the name brands themselves printed on the battery. Whatever Chinese law that holds back the Alibaba crowd from printing big brand names on their black market batteries, would likely apply to injection molding a brand name in 3 dimensions indelibly incorporated into the lid of the plastic.

I posted this thread hoping to learn more about Bosch’s direction with these fancy box systems, since I was surprised to learn that Bosch has branded both Sortimo and Systainer.

Doobie
    Pro

I have one of the Makita branded Systainers. They are click compatible with the Classic four clip style Systainer, as well as the new style T Handle Systainer. Obviously, if clicked to a new style T handle, the mid stack openable feature will not be available for the Makita box, but they do attach.

They are made in China. The Maktia branded systainers have an improved radius edge on the lids that the original Systainers lacked.

Thanks CB. That’s what I’ve been wondering about for a long time.

I assume you don’t find them prone to breaking or anything detrimental versus genuine Systainer/Tanos stuff?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have one of the Makita branded Systainers. They are click compatible with the Classic four clip style Systainer, as well as the new style T Handle Systainer.

The newer rounded Makita boXXes are clickable to the older Festool boxxes.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

CB, I was looking at various mobile tool storage solutions about six months ago and came across the same questions. Which storage brand is Bosch moving forward? I didn’t get an answer on that – and I am not sure there is one. Ultimately I went with another brand after realizing a number of things I dislike about the L-boxxes but this uncertainty was a minor factor in my decision.

CB
    Pro

I assume you don’t find them prone to breaking or anything detrimental versus genuine Systainer/Tanos stuff?

Prone to breaking? Versus “genuine” Systainer/Tanos stuff?

I am unqualified to answer.

First, I don’t have any Festool period. Not even a brochure.

Second, I don’t have any Tanos Systainer products of any iteration.

Third, I only just received the Makita MakPak box a couple of days ago, on Christmas Eve. And I didn’t order it intentionally. The tool I ordered (a cordless trim router) happened to come packed inside this plastic box if one ordered the kit, and I wanted the kit in order to get the plunger base for the router at a better deal than a la carte.

I haven’t tested the MakPak Systainer in the field to determine durability, and probably won’t, since I have no plans to invest hundreds of dollars into plastic boxes that do not permit random and direct access to the contents inside without either unclicking and unstacking them all, or in the case of the T handle design, without carefully tilting X amount of weight and height backwards with one hand while trying to fetch tools with another.

I just can’t see how this entire system is that practical. But yet these systems wouldn’t still exist and persist if others didn’t find them practical, so these boxes remain an interesting curiosity to me.

What I’m looking for in a jobsite tool conveyance and storage system is not a neat stack of boxes that has to be exploded all over the floor of the work site in order to access the contents. To my mind, that defeats the purpose of the stacking… which is to have a small foot print. The Systainer and Sortimo and TStak systems have successfully solved the problem of what Milwaukee very smartly called the “Pack Out”… packing and loading out tools to and from the truck/van and the work area.

But to my mind, these systems disappoint in maintaining the same tidiness at the work area. We need the simplicity of opening and closing drawers, not unstacking and stacking boxes. With a chest of drawers, the small foot print is maintained, rather than metastasized into duplicate footprints of the same sized box for every box that needs accessing.

I’m not saying that my current haphazard box, crate, and open tray “system” (which does a horrible injustice to the very name system) is any better than these European inspired, Chinese made plastic bins.

What I am saying is that before I pay $40 to $120 per box for a Systainer like system, there needs to more practical deployment value in use. Better security, random accessibility of the contents without breaking down or tilting over the stack, weather proof, and whistle Dixie. Seen some photos online of Festool enthusiasts who have almost a grand per stack in just plastic bins, by the time they’ve outfitted it with all the bin accessories… before the first tool is stored inside…only to have to worry about the stack shattering.

I’ll see how I like this MakPak in the spring. Maybe I’ll get converted. Maybe I’ll finally see what these other folks saw. But I can see right now the downfall of the entire Tanos Systainer platform… the boxes aren’t big/wide enough nor sturdy enough to accommodate common construction tools like air nailers, and worm drive rear handle circular saws, and reciprocating saws. So I can’t visualize a neat and tidy stack I can roll in on a form fitting dolly and be done.

Doobie
    Pro

Thanks CB. That’s what I’ve been wondering about for a long time.

I am unqualified to answer.

First, I don’t have any Festool period. Not even a brochure.

Second, I don’t have any Tanos Systainer products of any iteration.

Third, I only just received the Makita MakPak box a couple of days ago, on Christmas Eve.

Sorry, I thought by your previous answer you were stating that as a user and not just based on what you had read about them on the internet.

No worries. I asked a retailer this morning who sells them and he said they are compatible.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

But to my mind, these systems disappoint in maintaining the same tidiness at the work area. We need the simplicity of opening and closing drawers, not unstacking and stacking boxes. With a chest of drawers, the small foot print is maintained, rather than metastasized into duplicate footprints of the same sized box for every box that needs accessing.

A lot of it has to do with how you organize your work and how you transport tools/parts to and from a job site.

For me, one of the key benefits I was looking for in a mobile storage system is whether I can minimize footprint in my truck. I need to be able to stack 3-4 interlocking boxes without the one on top sliding over and tilting over when I drive. I need them to stay put. The identical footprint and interlocking feature is a must.

Second, I need to be able to carry a box like a suitcase with a side handle, or with a handle on top, depending on what’s in it. For this reason alone I dismissed all boxes that do not have top handles.

As far as transporting tools to and from the job site, I don’t like wheeled carts 24″ deep loaded with tons of tools. It’s impractical to haul that super heavy box down to the ground and back up to the truck every day. I went with a L-dolly system instead.

After looking at various options I basically came to the same conclusions that slide out drawers in a stack is much more practical then a stack of boxes that one has to keep moving here and there to retrieve stuff you need. I kept wishing they would come up with a tilt out drawer for deeper boxes, may be one day.

I also realize that I need to minimize the number of boxes. That means trying to put more stuff per box. Some users do those foam inserts, to me they are not practical.

On small jobs, I need to be able to look at a project, visualize the tools and parts I need, go back to the truck, grab a tote or bag, and I need to be able to open various drawers and boxes, pick out only what I need and toss them into the tote. In that case, again, the more drawers the better.

At the end I went with TSTAK because of the ball bearing drawer guides.

Many of the plastic boxes, doesn’t matter whether it’s Bosch, TSTAK, Ridgid Pro etc…when you have them loaded with heavy tools, the bottom “flexes”.

Load up an L-Boxx with those drawer inserts, sit them on the ground with a carpenter pencil, the bottom of the drawer will appear “concave” up.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The new Makita boXXes are the same as the older Festool BoXXes. But the edges are rounded. I have that router Boxx. I don’t seem to have a pic og the router BoXx but it’s the same as the TrackSaw BoXX.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Which countries or markets are these currently available in?

Will they be made available in North America?

Will the current (now updated) Sortimo built L-Boxxes be continued concurrently?

Will one system supplant the other, since both systems (Systainer and Sortimo) are incompatible with each other?

1. you can still find some on ebay Germany
    2. nope, they are discontinued in all countries, Bosch started years ago with sortimo
    3. bosch will stay with sortimo
    4. nope

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think if something were going to be knocked off, it would be the Dewalt or Milwaukee boxes, they seem to be a lot more popular than the Bosch. Bosch did not seem to get penetration with their boxes.

I have a couple dozen and love them, they get a lot of use when we are working on small jobs and moving things in and out a lot. I think it is a great system

CB
    Pro

Sorry, I thought by your previous answer you were stating that as a user and not just based on what you had read about them on the internet.

No worries. I asked a retailer this morning who sells them and he said they are compatible.

“not based on what you had read about them on the internet” sounds like a slam.

Not quite credible enough to be believed. A salesperson at a retailer is more credible.

It takes less time “to know for sure whether (the Makita boxes) are compatible with my current Classic and newer Systainers” with one click on the manufacturer’s website:

•Corresponding channels along lid and base of case for stable, non-shift stacking
    •Low-profile, rounded carrying handle for user comfort
    •Recessed side handles for convenient lifting
    •Reinforced lid provides additional strength and durability
    Compatible with SP6000J/J1 system, Festool® Systainer® cases and other similar modular storage systems
    •Festool® and Systainer® are registered trademarks of TTS Tooltechnicsystems AG & Co. KG.

Using simple logic… if new Festool Systainers are compatible with old Festool Systainers, and if Makita shows the Makita box clicking into the new Festool Systainers, while yet having clip cleats in the same locations as the old Festool Systainers, then it is safe to say that the Makita box will work with both types of Festool Systainers, just like Makita says.

The internet is actually good for learning things like this.

CB
    Pro

If adopting the Makita brand of Tanos Systainers, these containers would make a handsome addition to an all teal stack…

Notice the cleating conforms to both the T-Loc and the Classic Systainer connection modalities.

No information found yet as to what country these teal trays and flat dolly were made available in, or whether or not they are still available. No trace of them on Makita USA.

Doobie
    Pro

not based on what you had read about them on the internet” sounds like a slam.

Wasn’t meant as a slam at all. Re-read it and imagine nice things when you do. It was just a way of saying what I was now thinking was your source based on how it was initially replied to from my original query. Let’s move on.

If adopting the Makita brand of Tanos Systainers, these containers would make a handsome addition to an all teal stack…

Notice the cleating conforms to both the T-Loc and the Classic Systainer connection modalities.

No information found yet as to what country these teal trays and flat dolly were made available in, or whether or not they are still available. No trace of them on Makita USA.

I have both those totes. One is a Festool branded one, the other is a slightly cheaper but the same physically except its badging, made by Tanos.

Have had them both for 7-8 years. Use them constantly and they survive very well. Highly recommend.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have both those totes. One is a Festool branded one, the other is a slightly cheaper but the same physically except its badging, made by Tanos.

Kevin, does the handle on top pivot flat? Also, what’s inside these totes? Do they have any attachment or something to drop in a dozen or so vertical tools like hammers, chisels, pliers, pry bars etc…?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.817 seconds