dcsimg

Bosch Belt Sander (+Stand/Fence) – 1273DVS

This topic contains 39 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  roninohio 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I am in the market for a belt sander. Is this a decent model to find used or did you just like it because it’s a bosch. Or is it the table/fence stuff that you wanted?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Here’s my stand. Just a simple, form fit box really. The sander is held in place by a pair of bolts that squeeze the frame to the body of the sander.

Oh, great idea!

I am in the market for a belt sander. Is this a decent model to find used or did you just like it because it’s a bosch. Or is it the table/fence stuff that you wanted?

From my searching around online, the Bosch 1276dvs is a really solid model (I think one would want variable speed). I just happened to come across the 1273 and it was for a solid price so I thought why not. Can’t find much online about this model in terms of what people think of it. Since it is basically brand new, I at least have a new tool

The stand/fence is just a bonus if I can find it for a reasonable price. It wasnt super clear that my model (1273) worked with anything (whereas the 1276 definitely does), so it was nice to know that my 1273 model DOES have an option for a stand/fence.

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here’s my stand. Just a simple, form fit box really. The sander is held in place by a pair of bolts that squeeze the frame to the body of the sander.

That’s a nice idea.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

I did something really similar with mine.
    Something wiggled, it snatched the wood and pulled my hand into the gap. Smoked the belt after the drive roller froze up. With it not turning, it took a while to get my hand out.
    Replaced it with a 6×48 bench model.

The only belt sanders I use are porter-cable .

Always willing to learn .

That is a really great idea @jponto07 looks like it works slick too

So, I just picked up this bad boy for a great price.

A few notes:

1) it is HUGE and heavy (not a bad thing)
    2) it is in amazing shape.
    3) finding the stand and fence for it has been a bit of an adventure. More on that below.

I just saw this post John, that looks like a heck of a belt sander. I don’t have one, I could use one. That looks like a serious machine. Can you tell me where it was made?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yeah…that sh*t hurts. I caught a finger between the belt and the plastic body of the sander. Of course, I had a brand new 60 grit belt on the thing. Thankfully, my finger popped right out and didn’t get jammed in the thing, but it took off a ton of skin and bled for about an hour. If I recall correctly, it took around 2 months to completely heal.

Of course all of this happened a day or two after I bought the sander and built the stand…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous

Yeah…that sh*t hurts. I caught a finger between the belt and the plastic body of the sander. Of course, I had a brand new 60 grit belt on the thing. Thankfully, my finger popped right out and didn’t get jammed in the thing, but it took off a ton of skin and bled for about an hour. If I recall correctly, it took around 2 months to completely heal.

Of course all of this happened a day or two after I bought the sander and built the stand…

Oh man that’s horrible, I’ve been lucky and haven’t had such a thing happen. I’ve been just clamping mine in a vice, Might be a bit hard on the handle LOL. But so far no damage, I don’t squeeze it very tight though

Can you tell me where it was made?

Ah, sorry, will try to remember to look later when I get home.

Those injuries sound like no bueno at all. I wonder if the official Bosch stand will be secure enough that the sander won’t be able to wiggle?

John S

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I did something really similar with mine.
    Something wiggled, it snatched the wood and pulled my hand into the gap. Smoked the belt after the drive roller froze up. With it not turning, it took a while to get my hand out.
    Replaced it with a 6×48 bench model.

OUCH !!

chrisk1970 wrote:
    Can you tell me where it was made?
    Ah, sorry, will try to remember to look later when I get home.

It says made in the USA!

Attachments:

John S

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

That was a nice find supimeister. Good belt sanders are getting harder to come by anymore.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Ya ive got the PC 3×21 and i couldnt stop it if i tried, dont even want to know what the bigger one would do.

I also have the ryobi one, its not great and doesnt have a ton of power but works well on vertical work on a ladder or something where the weight is an issue

Two OK “reviews” I stumbled across today:
    http://www.rockler.com/how-to/boschs-3×21-1274dvs-belt-sander-useablity-hand-sander-stability-stationary-sander/
    http://www.rockler.com/how-to/find-3×21-portable-belt-sander-top-belt-sander-review/

Sounds like PC is a good option. From what little I have found, many people still say their different Bosch models are still running strong after 10 years of use.

John S

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Oh man that’s horrible, I’ve been lucky and haven’t had such a thing happen. I’ve been just clamping mine in a vice, Might be a bit hard on the handle LOL. But so far no damage, I don’t squeeze it very tight though

It should be okay as long as you aren’t hearing cracking sounds! The plastic used In most tools is fairly strong under compression. It’s a sudden impact that I’d be worried about.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Nice looking home made stand
    Great price on that sander

Found the stand and fence for not too terrible of a price, but I need to get a few more parts to see if everything goes together on my model. That stand looks like it should work no problems but the fence is Tbd as mentioned on the first page.

John S

kzcarp
    Pro

That is a nice looking stand for home made, @jponto07 I might just have to put one of those together for myself.

kevin

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Ya ive got the PC 3×21 and i couldnt stop it if i tried, dont even want to know what the bigger one would do.

I also have the ryobi one, its not great and doesnt have a ton of power but works well on vertical work on a ladder or something where the weight is an issue

I have the PC 4 X 24 . I love it. It is a beast , heavy and tons of power. I like the weight because I can just sit it on the wood and guide it. The weight holds it down.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.686 seconds