dcsimg

Bosch $50 off $200 sale

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Sven have the Brushless Bosch 18v OMT you could give a try?

His helper actually used my OMT when there were here running some outlets for me, lol. Don’t know if Tony got his hands on it or not though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

An OMT would be used mostly for cutting in device boxes.

Ordered a Colt and a $.82 bit. Can’t wait ’til I get it. Never owned a router. Will be a new experience. I need to read up on how to use one.

Ordered a Colt and a $.82 bit. Can’t wait ’til I get it. Never owned a router. Will be a new experience. I need to read up on how to use one.

Nice choice, routers are very useful, but you need lots of bits to use them. I would recommend getting a router bit set to start with. Those usually have some roundover, chamfer, flush cutting, v-groove, rabbeting, assortment of bits. It doesn’t even have to be the best quality. I got a starter set with 20 bits and still use bits from it, they are great for trying out different styles, and I don’t mind using them on MDF and jigs since they aren’t very expensive. Once I know which bits I needed for projects that needed really good quality cuts, I have bought a few here and there and only use them for finish pieces where the cut quality is really important.

<P>Ordered a Colt and a $.82 bit. Can’t wait ’til I get it. Never owned a router. Will be a new experience. I need to read up on how to use one.</P>

Congrats I have heard great things about the colt router.

Thanks guys! I think I’ll go set route just to get accustomed to how the tool works. I have a lot of scrap wood lying around.

One project I want to work on is my address numbering. My home came with the address numbering routed to a 2×4 attached to the mailbox post. The original one rotted out and I redid it using a Dremel and some sanding drums. The work I did got the job done but I’d like to do it right with a router.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice! Too good of a deal to pass up. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Doobie

Never owned a router. Will be a new experience. I need to read up on how to use one.

Even with a smallish router like the Colt, learn what climb cutting is and be careful to avoid doing it, or IF you must attempt by hand, know how to do it safely.

Also, I’ve read quite a few Colt owners over the years say that the Colt has one little possible design feature that can cause injury. There is a possibility that when using it you can accidentally have a finger slip into where the bit is spinning and risk serious injury.

I don’t have a Colt myself, and maybe since I read those comments years ago, Bosch now has a guard in place to prevent that rare but possible user error, I dunno. But my recollection is that it is prone to this when even an habitual user is just simply not thinking where their fingers are at all times and is especially apt to happen when you are finished routing what you are routing and powering down the unit and mishandling the body of the unit with your hands and a finger slips into the cavity where the bit is spinning.

Here’s a thread I quickly found googling this issue on the internet on a router forum.

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/22786-bosch-colt-palm-router-unsafe.html

EDIT: I should mention in fairness that I’ve always wanted a Bosch Colt, I’ve just never had an urgent need for one and also never tripped across the sweet deal in front of me that would compel me to pull the trigger.

I also would not hesitate to get one regardless of the aforementioned issue I mention. If it were on the prize list, after a boombox, I think it would be my next prize to aim for.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Doesn’t it always seem that an old tool refuses to break down until a sale like this is over?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I tried seeing if it was also available on Amazon.ca, unfortunately, I do not believe it is.

It is doobie, just search for the same Amazon stock number as the US site: B000EJX202

The router kit is available, it is the deal offering $50 off on $200 or more that I was referring to.

Right, we only get $20 off $100 in Canada. Occasionally we get better deals, but not often…

I don’t think i’ve seen a better deal, not in canada unless someone is going out of business and selling off stock. Otherwise it is all really expensive.

Doobie

I tried seeing if it was also available on Amazon.ca, unfortunately, I do not believe it is.

It is doobie, just search for the same Amazon stock number as the US site: B000EJX202

The router kit is available, it is the deal offering $50 off on $200 or more that I was referring to.

Right, we only get $20 off $100 in Canada. Occasionally we get better deals, but not often…

I don’t think i’ve seen a better deal, not in canada unless someone is going out of business and selling off stock. Otherwise it is all really expensive.

We don’t see a ton of good promos here in Canada as compared to the US unfortunately on power tools.

But you do get some, although they are not easy to find and typically not in the normal medias we use to find deals. But they’re out there! You just gotta really be lookin’.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Also, I’ve read quite a few Colt owners over the years say that the Colt has one little possible design feature that can cause injury. There is a possibility that when using it you can accidentally have a finger slip into where the bit is spinning and risk serious injury.

I bet you do that once or twice you’ll stop that crab.

Doobie

I bet you do that once or twice you’ll stop that crab.

Or one would just simply not have any finger left to get caught!

Never owned a router. Will be a new experience. I need to read up on how to use one.

Even with a smallish router like the Colt, learn what climb cutting is and be careful to avoid doing it, or IF you must attempt by hand, know how to do it safely.

I don’t have a Colt myself, and maybe since I read those comments years ago, Bosch now has a guard in place to prevent that rare but possible user error, I dunno. But my recollection is that it is prone to this when even an habitual user is just simply not thinking where their fingers are at all times and is especially apt to happen when you are finished routing what you are routing and powering down the unit and mishandling the body of the unit with your hands and a finger slips into the cavity where the bit is spinning.

Here’s a thread I quickly found googling this issue on the internet on a router forum.

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/22786-bosch-colt-palm-router-unsafe.html

EDIT: I should mention in fairness that I’ve always wanted a Bosch Colt, I’ve just never had an urgent need for one and also never tripped across the sweet deal in front of me that would compel me to pull the trigger.

I also would not hesitate to get one regardless of the aforementioned issue I mention. If it were on the prize list, after a boombox, I think it would be my next prize to aim for.

Thanks Kevin! I didn’t know there could be a problem with the router. I’ll be extremely careful when using the router when it arrives. Don’t want to have to post a story about how it drew blood.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

There appears to be a plastic guard that is now shipped with the router. As long as it’s installed, you should be okay. Either way, respect the power of the router…they can be dangerous if you get complacent.

Edit: I was wrong…I misread the linked article. There isn’t a guard available.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

A little common sense goes a long way, or at least it should.

Looking forward to pics, @MaukaRunner.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Almost bought a Colt, but Busy Bee had a great deal on the deWalt DWP611PK kit with plunge and fixed base and LED lighting, which is great to have (one of the rare better in Canada power tool deals, haven’t seen it anywhere near the same price since). Not sure if the Colt has LED lighting now, but it didn’t then – or at least not a model I could get. If I was doing lots of countertops though I would have picked the Colt for the offset base.
    Enjoy it, MaukaRunner!

Jummul
    Pro

I’ve been wanting a router for a long time now, I also have no idea how to use it 🙂 It a skill untaught, I just never needed one. When I need to grooves I usually use my circular saw for it, two grooves in the desired thickness and width and then use an omt or chisel to cut them out

I’ve been wanting a router for a long time now, I also have no idea how to use it :-) It a skill untaught, I just never needed one. When I need to grooves I usually use my circular saw for it, two grooves in the desired thickness and width and then use an omt or chisel to cut them out

Just got our local Woodcraft ad and they have a class on routing. I can’t make it but maybe if there is a retailer in your area who provides classes you could attend and learn how to use the router.

There is so much in video out on the internet for woodworking including routing. Also look at finewoodworking.com, wwgoa.com, popularwoodworking.com and others for free (and pay for) videos on routing.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.362 seconds