dcsimg

Bosch 4100-09 router insert 2.0

This topic contains 136 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

those are the ones. I honestly am not sure 100% if they will work, but I am 99% sure (there, I just covered my ass)

I am going to do some measuring and take a picture so you know exactly what I am thinking.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous

Ok yeah, That sounds good. I’m not really understanding why we need them yet but if you say we do then I’m all ears LOL

Anonymous

AHH HAA, I think I’ve got it. I just watched another video on it and when ya slide out the extension ya don’t have rail left to move the fence to the other side of the blade….Right?? so by getting more rails we’d have to get both front and back then cut them in half for each of us. Then the rail would cover the entire table when extended………

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Wow this is going to be like an incredible well done Frankensaw by the time your all said and done Brad. I am not 100% following the rail idea. Would it be adding a side out like the right but on the left?

Anonymous

From what I’m gathering is it would be an extension of the rails to the left so when the table is slid all the way out the rails would still be long enough to cover the entire left side of the table

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Nice upgrade to version 1.0 ! πŸ™‚

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Exactly, kinda.

The problem with the router insert is that it moves the rail all the way to the right, and you can’t move it back unless you remove the router insert. I don’t want to remove the insert, as the saw works great with it extended and it folds up to my liking (even though it’s a bit of a reach to get to the gravity rise handle)

This would be solidly mounted to the left side of the existing rail when it is extended so that the fence could be put on the left side of the blade.

I can’t get out to the garage to get pictures because I have a newborn in my arms.. later today.

Brad T

Anonymous

Wow this is going to be like an incredible well done Frankensaw by the time your all said and done Brad. I am not 100% following the rail idea. Would it be adding a side out like the right but on the left?

It’s not really for an extension of the table on the left but just so you could use the fence on the left side of the blade when extended. I assume they would stick out past the table on the left side when retracted πŸ™‚ I’m thinking a left side material support would be mandatory with this to protect the rails when retracted too

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Gotcha, so its an extension of the fence rail not a support table. I think that would be a great addition. I am not sure how I feel about working with the table in reverse (left instead of right) but to have the convenience of the router table it just might be worth it.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s for supporting rabbits, dados etc in longer pieces on the right side of the table (now extra nice with the router insert”) and using the fence on the left side.

Or for using the miter with the fence on the left and the miter in the RH slot. That also give you more support for the piece on the right side.

You can kind of see the piece that needs to be added under the two router inserts in this picture. I don’t know if you could get the support by just adding it to the existing piece or if it has to be attached directly to the table top. With out having the pieces in hand, I am going to say both. To get alignment and for rigidity. I would extend it out as far as the 14″ or so of the half piece would go. My left side extension can be fully deployed and the table still folds up so that’s not gong to be an issue.

Brad T

Anonymous

If all else fails a guy could get crazy and drill holes through the new rail extensions and the side of the table and bolt&nut them directly to the table, Especially if you figure on leaving the router insert in and it still folds up. πŸ™‚

EDIT; I should add you’d need to use a flat head countersunk machine screw with a nut so it’s flush

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Well, here’s another thought. we could slide the OEM rail all the way down to the “closed” position. Then we could use the router table and the extension to bolt the extra rail pieces to.

Here’s some pictures.

Here’s the fence fully extended to the right with the insert installed. you need to use nuts and bolts for the insert the way I have it designed and you need to remove the Bosch table piece on the far right to get it out. Mine is staying permanently attached as you can see it stores nicely.

Here is the lack of rail I am trying to solve by adding an additional piece so that the fence can be used on the left side of the blade. I think you could drill the Bosch table and bolt the extra piece in place. More work, but I like it the best because your seem would be right at the blade, and you wouldn’t need it to be crazy accurate.

Or we could move the rail all the way to the “closed” position and leave the router insert and Bosch table in place. This would make it fairly easy as long as you could get it absolutely square. You could use the hardware for the insert and table to attach it. I don’t know if there would be enough support to do this.

Here’s the profile of the front rail with the end cap removed. There’s lots of potential to put a plate or two in there to get the extension piece to line up.

Brad T

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Another short video. Kinda hard to hold the phone and take the vid but you get the idea.

Brad T

Anonymous

Oh wow great pics and I see you’ve got the wheels turning now. at first I liked the idea of putting the new rails on the right side but I wonder if it’ll have the support like you say. Of course it’s hard to tell from here. That is a strange shape on the inside, Too bad they don’t make an insert to fit nice and tight in there for connecting them together. I wonder if we could come up with some square tubing that might fit it snug, Or even shape a piece of wood would be easier for a connector. How tight does the rail fit to it’s mounting rail on the table? Would it not be perfectly smooth at the seam when butting the two together?

Anonymous

Ohhh I didn’t see the video before, I’m 100% in on this idea. It looks great and folds up so nice. thanks for that

These videos are really amazing Brad – thanks for taking the time to post them, it really adds a whole β€˜nother dimension to understanding what you are talking about and showing.

Would you ever be concerned about the table saw tipping forward with the router stand in it since it stands so high now?

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Nope, not a concern on tipping at all.

Brad T

Anonymous

This question will show my ignorance and inexperience a bit on router stuff but how did you cut that opening for the black plate? I’m sure it was with a router but I’m trying to see just how it is done to get such a nice fit

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I free handed the first (boo) and made this for the second one. It’s a router template.

So the piece on the bottom is the insert.

the rectangle is the template for the black base. it uses a template guide bushing and is 1/2″ bigger the the base. the four pieces of wood are 1/2″ spacers to cut the center hole completely out. the wood block in the center is just used to keep the router level. all held in place with double sided tape.

Brad T

Anonymous

You know what? I completely understand and I’m so glad I asked now. I knew there would be handy way..Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.633 seconds