dcsimg

Bosch 18v Reciprocating Saw

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

I haven’t seen much/anything posted on this saw. Does anyone have one? Opinions on it compared to other brands you’ve used? I’ve had a few DeWalts and while they get the job done, they just seem to have a lot of vibration. The Bosch looks ‘large’, like it has a big footprint or maybe it’s just differently shaped than others.

I currently have the DeWalt 20v compact saw which is fine, but the blade lock lever kind of flops around which is annoying.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts on the Bosch since that’s the other larger volt (18/20) platform I have.

Resident Sign Guy

Jummul
    Pro

I was thinking the same thing. It’s posted here

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/18v-reciprocating-saw/

If vibration is your worry, Bosch is, in my experience, always better at reducing vibration compared to other brands, especially Dewalt.

Jummul
    Pro

Also this is relevant:

I’ve got the 18V saw as well and it replaced a makita 18V. I like the bosch better, it doesn’t vibrate as bad and the battery lasts longer.

It isn’t a corded saw, but it’s a handy tool to have, I wouldn’t be without it.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

If vibration is your worry, Bosch is, in my experience, always better at reducing vibration compared to other brands, especially Dewalt.

Ah, didn’t see that. For future reference, there’s an entire area dedicated to saws and subsections for recip saws. Posting in the designated areas will help other members find those topics.

Thanks for the link.

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Moze I have the 36V Bosch recip and really like it. And like Brad says no vibration. My 24V DeWalt vibrates but my Bosch doesn’t.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks, Bill! I bet the 36v is a beast.

The only reservation I have with the 18v is the SPM are lower than most others (2700 vs 3000 (DeWalt), 3000 (Milwaukee), 2900 (Makita).

But if there’s less vibration, it might be worth the tradeoff and may even cut more efficiently.

Resident Sign Guy

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I agree about the dewalt vibrating like crazy. Also, the blade being offset makes it a lot harder to line up cuts. The bosch looks pretty nice, I’ll be saving up for that next.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

How is the blade offset on the DeWalt?

Resident Sign Guy

Jummul
    Pro

Ah, didn’t see that. For future reference, there’s an entire area dedicated to saws and subsections for recip saws. Posting in the designated areas will help other members find those topics.

Thanks for the link.

Yeah you’re right, sorry 🙂

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

How is the blade offset on the DeWalt?

It’s not perfectly centered on the tool it’s off to the left or right.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

After getting the bosch 18v sawzall I just wanted to share my thoughts on it here. First of all, it is a really big tool. It will take up a lot of space in your tool bag/box for sure. While I like that it has two speeds, the mechanism to change speeds and lock the tool feels pretty cheap and it’s in kind of an awkward position. The non adjustable shoe sucks because it is set really far out, which means you can’t really use the super short blades. You also have to get used to changing the blades because they kind of shoot out of the saw when released.

One thing that I did appreciate was the smoothness of operation. It has a decent amount of vibration control, way better than the dewalt I was using before. It’s hard for me to guage battery life right now because I’m just using the 2.0 batteries. Overall I like the saw it just feels a bit underpowered for the size. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I’m still thinking about doing a full review if there is much interest.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to hear that it’s not quite all you had hoped. Brushless is the only way to fly when it comes to cordless full-size reciprocating saws.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Sorry to hear that it’s not quite all you had hoped. Brushless is the only way to fly when it comes to cordless full-size reciprocating saws.

I’m not mad or anything. For $100 it was worth it either way. I fully intend on pushing this thing to its limits so we’ll see how durable it really is. I agree with the brushless comment though. I wish the people at bosch would realize the need for a brushless sawzall. Does anyone own the little mini 12v bosch sawzall?

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks for the feedback on the recip saw, much appreciated. I guess I thought the shoe was adjustable…kind of bummed to hear it’s not.

Resident Sign Guy

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with the brushless comment though. I wish the people at bosch would realize the need for a brushless sawzall.

I don’t understand what their strategy is there, with the lack of brushless tools. Pros can always use more power, and most are willing to pay for that.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks for the feedback on the recip saw, much appreciated. I guess I thought the shoe was adjustable…kind of bummed to hear it’s not.

I don’t understand why it’s not. Every other recip that I’ve used has an adjustable shoe. It also makes the saw quite a bit longer.

redwood
    Pro

I briefly had the 20V compact Dewalt recip. saw and I don’t think the shoe adjusted on that either. Don’t you have that one Moze?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

. It has a decent amount of vibration control, way better than the dewalt I was using before.

I have the 36V version and a 24V Dewalt. You are correct about the vibration control. The Bosch unit is definitely smoother than my DeWalt.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

The shoe on my M18 Fuel one is fully adjustable, no tool required.

@kswiss thanks for the time to give your thoughts. Bummer about the non adjustable shoe, it does not a variable speed trigger I’m hoping.

I’m very surprised about the shoe I have the older ni-cad and it has a full adjustable shoe and no tools needed.
    It’s close to the shoe it’s part of the hand grip near the blade don’t know if you can see it in the picture.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.549 seconds