dcsimg

Bosch 18V Cordless Jig Saw (JSH180BL) Review

This topic contains 79 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  rylim 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 80 total)
  • Author

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I just ordered the Bosch 18V Jig saw from the rewards list. It comes with an l-boxx and insert (NOTE: this is no longer available on the list with the L-BOXX and insert – only as a bare tool now – JSH180B). I’m expecting this to perform well based off of reviews I have read, and since I hadn’t seen any threads on one, thought I’d be the first. As soon as it gets here, I’ll put it to work with the slim packs that I have. It doesn’t come with any batteries, which is kind of a downer, but that’ll be solved soon enough and my collection expands.

I am really glad somebody is grabbing this cordless jigsaw! It seems like it is made up of very similar parts as the 470, the awesome but-not-quite-as-awesome as the 572 model… So it will be interesting to see what you think!

John S

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I am curious to hear how well this saw works. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a cordless jigsaw for a while now…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Housewright Construction

I am interested in this too…one of the things I like about the 572 is the double roller bearing guide. It helps keep the blade stable. I will be interested in hearing about the weight and balance too.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Sven, If I wouldn’t have just redeemed for the corded barrel grip I was definitely eyeing up the cordless. From what I have read it has plenty of power and gets that pesky cord out of the way. This is one tool that I have finally come around on to think that cordless is king.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Can’t wait to hear the review on this. I had my eye on the 572 but this one might be my new wish. Cords suck – especially for jigsaw work.

Cordless would be good for outdoor work but I was using my saw without DC and it made a mess. The DC is not perfect on a jigsaw by any means, but I have gotten used to it with all my saws and it helps keep the fine dust from blowing around. Outdoors it would not be as big of a deal, but in the shop I really have come to like it.

Orange County, CA

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

From the Bosch Product video, it looks like it also has some form of bearings to help the blade stay on tack and not deflect. Unlike Jason, I chose not to wait on the barrel grip, so now we will see, but I am sure it will exceed my expectations. One thing that I noticed from UK video’s was that it doesn’t come with some of the accessories that it’s big brothers have. You have to purchase the steel overshoe separately, and I’m not sure if you can get a splinter guard with it at all. There is also the matter of dust extraction, which I don’t think is even an options for the saw. We’ll see when it gets here.

I forgot to ask Sven – do you happen to own any other jigsaws (in particular, the 470 or 572, but other brands are cool too) – I know the cordless doesn’t have the double roller bearing guide, but I also think the spec quality is generally reduced compared to the 572 in such a way that it is basically the 470 cordless, but I am not positive on that.

John S

redwood
    Pro

I can’t speak to this Bosch cordless jigsaw, but I really like the freedom of cordless jigsaws. They may not be the equal of the better corded models, but for most of my uses, that isn’t a problem.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I willprobably look at this saw a some time, I would like to transition all of the tools that I don’t use a whole lot to cordless.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I too like cordless jigsaws. You will enjoy cord freedom. Cordless is the way to go.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

No John I don’t. I was on order for the barrel grip, but got impatient and canceled because of the back order. For what I need, that is ok though. I actually like the fact that it’s cordless better, and it will be great for my intentions (at least for the time being).

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Agreed on the cordless jigsaws. I have the DeWalt 20v and man I love that thing. The blade change is a breeze and no cord to get in the way. Jig saws have come a long way from where they used to be.

Resident Sign Guy

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

No John I don’t. I was on order for the barrel grip, but got impatient and canceled because of the back order. For what I need, that is ok though. I actually like the fact that it’s cordless better, and it will be great for my intentions (at least for the time being).

I am waiting on the barrel grip but I could see using that in my Lboxx setup and then getting the cordless for everyday use. I am eager to hear if it has enough power not to get bogged down. I would assume, based on the videos and reviews I have seen that the 18V is going to be one heck of a machine.

woodman_412

I’m really curious to see what you think of this saw too Sven. I’ve always wondered what the performance is like of the cordless. I have 2 corded jigsaws now but it would be nice if one of them was cordless. Although I don’t know if I would want to trade some of the features of the 572 for the cordless freedom. It would be great to see someone do a head to head comparison of the 572 to the 18V.

Dan

danpattison.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

. It would be great to see someone do a head to head comparison of the 572 to the 18V.

If I could get my hands on one, I will. If there is someone here in the area, we could get together, but we’ll just have to see how that works out.

Anonymous

I’ll bet is has plenty of power since the cordless circ saw does, I kind of wish I would have waited now but I got mine way before any news came out of a new list. I’m curious to what you think of it also.

I’ll bet is has plenty of power since the cordless circ saw does, I kind of wish I would have waited now but I got mine way before any news came out of a new list. I’m curious to what you think of it also.

You got the 572, right? I suppose you could always sell it and use the money for the cordless?

I am antsy to hear what you think Sven – any idea on the ETA of your new tool and when we should expect an “initial thoughts” review?

John S

Anonymous

It would be hard to sell it since it does have a few more options than the cordless, And I don’t think I’ll ever use it outside of the shop. At least I’ve never used one before like that…..Oh wait, Duh. I couldn’t anyway cuz it wasn’t cordless LOL. Although I’m very much into anything that’s cordless I think I’ll keep it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.780 seconds