dcsimg

Bosch 18V Compact Tough 1/2" Drill/Driver

This topic contains 85 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • Author

woodman_412

I received my Bosch 18V drill/driver a couple of months ago and I was very impressed with the tool right from when I opened it. It comes with a hard case that has plenty of room for everything that comes with the drill as well as some extra storage space for bits and accessories. The only small downfall that I found with the case is the fact that the case won’t close if the included belt clip is mounted to the drill. I don’t typically use the belt clip so that wasn’t a big issue for me.

The drill comes complete with a fast charger, one 3.0 amp hour fatpack battery, one 1.5 amp hour slimpack battery, a belt clip and a double ended driver bit. The included battery packs are the newer high capacity batteries with the built-in fuel gauge on the back end. I have found the fuel gauge to be extremely useful in monitoring how much battery power I have left so I can time my charges well. It prevents leaving the shop with an almost drained battery since I can check them before hand and top up any batteries that aren’t full. The fast charger will charge up the battery in 30 minutes or less depending on how empty the battery is. With the two included batteries I can easily work with the drill on a constant basis without being left waiting for a battery to charge. The run time from the batteries has been excellent.

The drill itself is very well constructed. It has a solid feel in the hand and is very well balanced and ergonomic. It is also very light weight and compact in size. The built-in LED work light works great and seems to be well placed. I have been used to the light being just above the trigger on other drills but I find that the light being at the base of the handle works well. It tends to cast less of a shadow from the chuck and bit than lights that are mounted above the trigger. The drill has plenty of power and I have had no problem running my hole saw, auger bits and spade bits as an example of the more demanding applications. The ratcheting chuck works well and has no problem gripping bits tightly.

One of the features that has impressed me the most with this drill is the finesse of the trigger control. It is very easy to precisely control the speed of the drill and increase or decrease the speed in small, smooth increments. The power from the drill has a very smooth silky feel and it excels at either precise work or more rugged work. The compact size and light weight are also big advantages when I am working inside tight spaces. I have found the Bosch 18V drill/driver to be an excellent tool and it has quickly become my favorite all-around drill in my shop. Thanks again to Bosch and BTP for another great prize!

Below are a few photos for size comparison between my older Porter Cable 14.4V, my Bosch 12V and the Bosch 18V.

Dan

danpattison.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Dan I got the drill yesterday, I agree, It’s well balanced and I like the led light, Here’s a pic to show size as compared to 2 of my Dewalts

Attachments:

woodman_412

There is quite a difference in the battery size Charles. I’ve noticed that seeing DeWalt 18V drills lately but it’s interesting seeing them side by side.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

I think that you both cheated showing your new drill with the compact battery compared to the full size battery on your old drills. Maybe not, I know that the LI-ion batteries are smaller then the old NiCad’s.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Yes Dan, those dewalts have the short packs in them… pre lith-ion. The shorties had less weight and seemed to last just as long. Those are still my go to cordless drills,,,, can’t wait to give the Bosch a try out

Attachments:

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@ Mark…. we cheated ??? lol

woodman_412

I guess it would have made it a little more fair to put the fatpack battery in for the pics eh.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

My Dewalt hammer drill is about 16 years old .

woodman_412

That’s pretty good John if it’s 16 years old and still ticking. That’s a good life span for a cordless tool especially.

Dan

danpattison.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

John, I also have the same hammer drill !

Attachments:

woodman_412

Have you guys replaced the batteries on your DeWalt’s or are they original?

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

When the batteries starting dying I bought the smaller Dewalt and now them batteries are dying .I always wait until they have a sale on the drill and batteries before I buy new ones .

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I replaced batts a few times. Last time I was down to one batt I caught a deal.. got another drill, 2 batts, charger, case.. for less than a twin pack of batts

woodman_412

It’s funny how you can get the drill, charger and batteries for cheaper than just the batteries sometimes. Shows you how much the replacement batteries are over priced.

Dan

danpattison.com

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Yup, I got the kit, with free shipping for $89

woodman_412

That’s a pretty good deal Charles. I think if I was ever going to get some extra or replacement 18V Bosch batteries I would get the new 4.0 amp hour. I would think they would have super great run time since the 1.5 and 3.0 have great run time as it is.

Dan

danpattison.com

Wow John…. 16 years… Keep that drill around as long as you can! I really appreciate it when companies make their new batteries backwards compatible…. Although the price sometimes slows me down/changes my mind, it is really upsetting to know you HAVE to buy the new set rather than just a battery…

John S

gaum01
    Pro

HUGE Bosch fan… they do it right. I used to be a Makita guy… now Bosch. Why can’t all gun manufacturers have the dry-fire lock-out feature? No extra holes!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

it seems that its only the production grade guns that dont have it.. most guys doing production work get a feel for when to reload. some with framing guns. some with finish guns.. you use them enough you can tell when to reload based on how many shots you`ve fired

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am really pleased with my new by shooting old girl I think it has great power good battery life and equality to all around

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.502 seconds