dcsimg

Bosch 18V Compact Tough 1/2″ Drill Driver

This topic contains 367 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  supimeister 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 368 total)
  • Author

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I got a chance to test this out today. I didn’t have any real heavy duty tasks to really push it to the limit so this isn’t a complete review. I did drive some screws and do some drilling with it. I personally like to use the low range to drive and the high range to drill. First impressions were that this drill driver was way lighter and better balance than my previous 18v drill and far superior to my 12v tools in power and speed. This is a very well balanced tool. It came with two batteries and the 30min charger. I don’t think I will ever be without a charged battery. This came with a tool case which was a little big for what was in it. The belt clip can be attached to either side and worked well for holding it on my belt. The light is on the lower end of hte grip and seems to be on target without shadows. Only thing that I missed was a magnetic bit holder. My 12v tools have that option and I didn’t realize how much I missed it until it wasn’t there.
    This set will become the basis for my new set of Bosch 18v tools. I am going to add them as needed and possible.

Great review Jerry. I would add that my experience thus far in using it is that I honestly prefer having the LED around the tip of the drill rather than lower. Sure, it sometimes created shadows whereas this lower position as on the Bosch eliminates some of that…. BUT it has not been uncommon for my hand or something else to block the light from reaching its destination – lighting up the drilling area… But that is only a minor complaint

John S

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

John, I only use the LED to make sure the bit and screw are aligned. Other than that I have my flashlight. My older 18v has no light at all (I was sad because I had no LED til I saw a worker who had no driver) and my 12v drill driver always has a shadow on it. On that one the LED actually hits the chuck. Very poor design and not much help at all. That is why I think this Bosch LED is the Bees Knees.

I see what you mean… Having a shadow in some ways is worse than the light actually working… but I just have found myself blocking the light a lot of late. I think I just need to get used to the design and adjust accordingly

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Great review Jerry, I have been pondering grabbing one of these from BTP but cannot seem to pull the trigger. Do your 12V systems have an integral magnet in the chuck?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 1/2″ drill from BTP. I will report back as soon as I am able to put it through the paces.

You will be happy with it Jason – I am definitely impressed with mine so far. I need to pay a little more attention to battery life but it seems to last a decent amount of time so far

John S

woodman_412

I’ve been finding that having the fuel gauge on the batteries is huge. If I’m using a different drill without it now it bugs me having no idea how much charge is left. Definitely a great feature to have.

Dan

danpattison.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Dan, that is right. I hate grabbing a battery off the truck and not be sure if it is charged enough to get the job done. Nothing worse than climbing a ladder to find out you have only enough charge to undo 2 of the 5 fsteners.

Jason,
    My 12v system has a magnet on the top rear of the housing. It gives you a place to put a spare bit. It comes in handy when drilling pilot holes then driving fastners, using two different nut drivers on the same install or heaven forbid dealing with two different head types on a project (common for me when dealing with old houses and multiple patches over the years).

Sounds like a great drill. I will have to check it out in the store. Thanks for the review Jerry.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I’ve been finding that having the fuel gauge on the batteries is huge. If I’m using a different drill without it now it bugs me having no idea how much charge is left. Definitely a great feature to have.

That was my biggest concern with the Hitachi set I had. I would always bring a few spare batteries because I would never know how much was left in the tank.

Anonymous

The fuel gauge on the batteries is awesome, I don’t know how I ever lived without that feature, I do wish it had a place for extra driver bits though. Over all, This is absolutely by far the best cordless drill I’ve ever had.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Boyd, I couldn’t agree more about the bits. Why did tool manufactures stop putting bit holders on drills? I love bit holders.

Boyd, I couldn’t agree more about the bits. Why did tool manufactures stop putting bit holders on drills? I love bit holders.

So that you would feel like you really needed that l-boxx 1a 😛

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

They are always working an angle John. Marketing at work I guess.

Anonymous

I use my pocket or my mouth LOL. Ain’t swallowed one yet 🙂

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

You could always go after market:

http://www.bit-grip.com/

I think it looks pretty silly but it probably works.

I hadn’t heard of the bit-grip Jason… but it looks like it might affect the ability for the motor to keep cool???

John S

Anonymous

At one time I was going to do something like that but I don’t think I will now. It would need to be on the top anyway for what John is saying

I like the reviews of this drill…might very well try and save up for it, although I need another cordless drill like I need a hole in my head…but I suppose one can never have too many. The weight of this tool is really nice for an 18v drill. I wish it came in an L-Boxx, even for more points.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 368 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.839 seconds