dcsimg

Bosch 18V Circular Saw Crosscut Jig

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Well I finally got a little bit of time to make the long awaited jig that I’ve been talking about for my Bosch cordless circ saw. I’m very pleased with how it works. It will cross cut stock up to 6″ wide and 1″ thick. The cuts are dead on square both in width and thickness after I calibrated it. I put a 40 tooth blade on the saw so it gives nice clean cuts as well. I put the good side of the stock down since that’s the cleanest side of the cut. I’m going to be using it for cutting things like scribe mouldings, corner mouldings, toe kicks, flooring transition strips etc…anything that requires a precise square cut but doesn’t warrant taking the mitre saw along.

I made the runners as well as the guide strip out of UHMW plastic. The saw slides easily back and forth and is very accurate. To make a cut I just line up my mark with the saw kerf in the fence and I know the cut will be right on the mark. The other huge advantage of this setup is the cordless freedom of it. When I’m just making a few quick cuts it saves me the time of having to run power. A lot of times when I’m doing service work in homes it’s a real pain to have to drag my sliding mitre saw along and run an extension cord just to make a few small cuts. This setup will save me a lot of time and avoid having to lug a heavier saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

YES. stoked about this post!!!

John S

I am definitely thinking about imitating it (a little thicker) for the sake of cutting a bunch of 2x4s quickly…

John S

Sorry – posting too fast before I think things through – can you post plans if you made any of sorts… or a cut list or anything…

John S

woodman_412

I designed the jig in SketchUp so I just have a SketchUp file that I built it from. I might be able to post the model if it will let me upload that format.

As far as making it for 2x material John there wouldn’t be enough blade depth for that with this design. With the 6-1/2″ blade you have to have the saw pretty much sitting on the stock to cut through it. I have another idea for making a jig that will work with 2x material though…the jig would be taken to the work rather than the work taken to the jig like this one.

Dan

danpattison.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Dan, that is an awesome jig! I want one.

woodman_412

Thanks Jason! I was really pleased with it after I made a bunch of test cuts tonight. It really brings a whole other level of precision to the circ saw with cuts that are on par with my sliding mitre saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Speed square is a cheap alternative for cutting 2x material.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

True Mark – but I like the idea of having some sort of pre-set jig that will (hopefully) give me more precision. Dan – let us know your brilliant 2x jig plans 😛 Regardless, I would still like to see your sketchup model if you are able to post it…. That is a really great jig!

John S

woodman_412

I still have to work the idea for the 2x cutting jig around in my head a bit but I’ll let you know when I have something concrete.

I’ll try attaching the SketchUp file. Let me know if it works for you.

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

I guess it won’t work, it says that the file type is not permitted for security reasons. I was skeptical about that file type working.

Dan

danpattison.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I agree with Mark. The speed square or the miter saw. They are enough options for me. I am not sure I have ever used my speed square for anything but 90 degree cuts or marks.

This is not to take away from Dan’s design. Most excellent work to solve his needs. I really like it Dan. Just not my cup of tea.

Fair enough Jerry… It all depends on how precise you need your cuts to be. Dan likes uber-precision, but you are probably right that for a lot of general tasks, a speed square will be sufficient in terms of precision

John S

woodman_412

Yeah I’ve used my speed square for making cuts when framing and it’s certainly accurate enough for framing purposes. The jig that I made is certainly tailored for precision work. The jig I have in mind for cutting framing lumber would be very similar to a speed square, the only difference would be a thin base that the saw sits on top of so that you know the edge of that base is where your cut is so it speeds up the cut since you can just set that edge to your mark similar to a track saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

Bring the jig to life Dr. Frankenstein!!

John S

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Yes Dan please do. That would be a jig I would use.

Maybe we can start a business venture together Dan and sell these 2x jigs… 😛

John S

woodman_412

I guess we’ll have to wait and see how good it actually is first John 🙂

I’ll just have to leave you guys in suspense until I bring it to life!

Dan

danpattison.com

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

John . You might have to pattern it first 🙂

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Time to eat crow. I dissed Fans invention and now I am sitting here looking at pile of cove casing that needs cutting. Miter saw is 20 miles away and I am wishing I had jig for my cordless saw.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.403 seconds