dcsimg

Bosch 12" Dual-Bevel Axial Glide Miter Saw with Upfront Controls (GCM12SD) Review

This topic contains 85 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  alizamartinjoe 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • Author

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Bosch GCM12SD 12″ Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw Review
    It’s rare that a tool will be introduced to the market and completely changes the game. Bosch has done just that with the introduction of the Axial-Glide sliding action found on the GCM12SD 12″ Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw. Not only does the saw have the axial glide action, but it also has upfront controls, slide out material supports and a split rear support.

The first and most important feature for the saw is the Axial-Glide sliding mechanism. The Axial-Glide relies on two heavy duty hinges to allow the saw to slide back and forth. Surprisingly you are able to get an incredibly reliable cut with the saw in glide mode. The friction of the slide mechanism is able to be controlled through a simple tensioning screw since the mechanism is so easy to move. If you prefer to cut in a non-sliding mode you simple lock out the Axial-glide with the flip of a lever. I have found that this style of slide cut is far superior to the old bar slides that can still be found on most sliders in the market today. There has been a lot said about how the hinges could get clogged or jammed but in my experience that just doesn’t happen. The hinges rely on a closed lubrication system so there is no threat of internal jamming and the design allow for easy and thorough cleaning.

A notable feature found on the GCM12SD is the upfront controls for bevel and miter adjustment. The controls are very easy to use and intuitive. The only reason to have to reach into the back of the saw would be to release the locking detent pin on the bevel gauge. The saw comes standard with standard detents at 0°, 15°, 31.6°, 22.5°, 45°, 60°. If you want to get an angle that is not a detent it is as simple as twisting the locking lever at your desired angle.

Material control is also a huge selling point for the saw. The fence on the saw is a two piece sliding fence that can accommodate up to a 6 ½” piece of crown at a 45 degree angle. Material support arms can side out from the right and left of the base to offer up added support. If that is not enough material support for you just pair the saw with the T4B gravity rise stand and then you get support for up to 18’ of material.

Dust collection has been a sticking point for many people out there, but let me tell you, it is superior to most miter saws that I have used. Bosch claims 90% dust collection when the saw is paired with a dust extraction system and cutting 2x material. I would say that claim is accurate only when in chop saw mode. Once I put the saw into sliding mode it reduces the effectiveness of the dust extraction. In the video that is attached you will see the comparison of the two modes and the dust collection effectiveness ~3min. in.

In conclusion, the saw is excellent for a home shop or in my case a mobile home garage shop. The weight and sheer size of the saw and T4B gravity rise stand make it very cumbersome to transport unless you have a large trailer. If your looking for ultimate precision and craftsmanship and don’t want to have to do any work to your saw when you buy it the Bosch is for you.

I will post some more pictures this evening when I get access to the drive I saved them on.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Great review. I can’t wait for the video! Man I want one of these saws.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Great review. I can’t wait for the video! Man I want one of these saws.

I would think either today or tomorrow Aaron should have the video uploaded so that I can link the review to it.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Added some pics for the review:

Nice review Jason. Looks pretty portable on that cart. Do you think the blade is as good as you would want or are you looking to put in another blade? I was disappointed on the 10″ Bosch saw blade that came with my miter saw.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Nice review Jason. Looks pretty portable on that cart. Do you think the blade is as good as you would want or are you looking to put in another blade? I was disappointed on the 10″ Bosch saw blade that came with my miter saw.

I am 90% sure I am going to go with the 12″x90T Forrest Signature Line Chopmaster For Flawless Cuts – 1″ HOLE Model:CM12905115

The desire for a new table saw blade and having to replace my kitchen faucet tonight are the only things holding me back.

I am 90% sure I am going to go with the 12″x90T Forrest Signature Line Chopmaster For Flawless Cuts – 1″ HOLE Model:CM12905115

That’s what I moved to on the recommendation of another woodworker. Nice blade and flawless cut is correct with zero clearance insert and fence.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Great review, I’ve been waiting on this one Jason. I really like the sound of this saw, I think it will eventually replace my small chop saw, hoping that the price comes down a touch in the next year.

If that is not enough material support for you just pair the saw with the T4B gravity rise stand and then you get support for up to 18’ of material.

I am not sure what you mean by this…? But I was curious to hear how material support worked and it sounds like it is a really solid setup!

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

If that is not enough material support for you just pair the saw with the T4B gravity rise stand and then you get support for up to 18’ of material.

I am not sure what you mean by this…? But I was curious to hear how material support worked and it sounds like it is a really solid setup!

The problem with my review is I wrote it to pair with the video so its not that well written. What I meant is the saw itself has two support arms that slide out on either side. If that isn’t long enough to hold the material then I recommend getting the T4B because that increases your material support up to 18′.

then I recommend getting the T4B because that increases your material support up to 18′.

ohhhhh gotcha. I didn’t realize the extensions on the saw went that wide – very nice! Have you had any issues with the support arms slopping down at all?

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I have built an outfeed table for my T4B. I wasn’t going to but I just couldn’t get the precision without the added support. They are a PITA but a nice addition. My support arms need to be adjusted depending on if they are close in or fully extended. Not a big issues as it is easily done.

The more I see this saw the more I want one!

Brad T

I have built an outfeed table for my T4B. I wasn’t going to but I just couldn’t get the precision without the added support. They are a PITA but a nice addition. My support arms need to be adjusted depending on if they are close in or fully extended. Not a big issues as it is easily done.

Interesting… I’d love to see what you did with it if you have pics/plans of sorts – another topic????

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s nothing special. 8’x8″ piece of mdf with a 4″ vertical to keep it straight. I should build a proper one some day…

Brad T

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I wonder if you had the arms from the saw if the T4B support arms would be sufficient. I haven’t encountered any material where there is too much deflection to get a poor cut.

Have you had any issues with the support arms slopping down at all?

Not yet but then again I have only had it for a few months. I am going to try some really long material to see what happens.

Anonymous

Great review Jason, I appreciate the nice and close up pics of this machine. Support arms coming off the stand for up to 18′ is amazing.

BTW, How did you come out on the incident with the fence breaking?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I forgot that my makita sits to far back and is the major reason for the extra support. The arms don’t bend under load, there is just enough play in them that when they are fully extended they are to low when fully retracted.

Brad T

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Brad it sounds like its time to move into the Axial Glide 🙂 I really hope the video gets posted soon because it shares a lot more about the saw and how great it really is.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@mke_voltage Jason, could you do me a favour and take some measurements of the axial glide on the gravity rise for me. I looking to see how far off the wall the front of the stand is.

With my makita I need to be 32″

I wouild like to know how much room I can gain with the bosch

Thanks

Brad T

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

@mke_voltage Jason, could you do me a favour and take some measurements of the axial glide on the gravity rise for me. I looking to see how far off the wall the front of the stand is.

With my makita I need to be 32″

I wouild like to know how much room I can gain with the bosch

Thanks

Hey Brad, I should be able to get to this soon when I get back home. I know it is a large saw but man do I love it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.116 seconds