dcsimg

Bosch 10" Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Stand (4100-09) Review

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

The Bosch 4100-09 is a medium-full size contractor style table saw with a 10” blade. The 4100-09 is powered by a robust 15 amp motor what puts out 4 HP at 3,650 RPM. The table surface is a rigid cast aluminum that is not only light but very strong. I have thrown some abuse at the saw over the last few months and the cutting table is not any worse for wear. To ensure you have the correct cut every time there is an excellent rip fence that securely locks to the back and front of the cutting table. The saw is extremely portable thanks to its gravity rise stand that allows for the table to be folded up to a manageable size and wheeled to and from the jobsite. All of these features are topped off with an excellent on-board storage system for all of the accessories and safety equipment.

The power of the saw is without question, I have used several cabinet saws over the years and the 15 amp motor on this saw is able to keep up with the best of them. I have ripped double stacked ¾” plywood on here with no issues at all. The saw also has some technology built in that modulates the blade speed to keep it consistent while it cuts. This consistency helps when you are cutting material so that the blade doesn’t bog down and then speed up real quick making the cut unsafe or uneven. The power / kill switch is located on the bottom left hand side of the front of the saw. The switch is a red cross that requires you to pinch the middle and pull up to activate the saw ensuring that you don’t accidentally turn it on.

The cutting table is made of a durable cast aluminum that has held up extremely well to all of the abuse I have thrown at it. The right hand side of the table extends out to 25” and has very easy to read markings. If you are using the fence there is a magnified view finder to get an exacting measurement. I do not have the additional out feed supports but if you wanted a left or rear extension to your table you can get the Bosch TS1003 or the TS1002. The rip fence is very easy to use and with the two point locking mechanism you are guaranteed to get a square cut every time.

One of the best features of the Bosch 4100-09 is the gravity rise jobsite stand. The gravity rise stand uses physics to easily convert the saw from the compacted vertical orientation to the saw ready position. To unlock the gravity rise stand all you need to do is twist one lever, push your foot into the axle and pull back on the main carry handle. If you find that you need to use the saw on uneven ground there are adjustable casters on one side of the legs. In my opinion the gravity rise stand is what really separates this saw from any of its competitors in the market. When the saw is folded up in storage mode it takes up about as much as a full size wheel barrow on end.

The last feature of the 4100-09 that I would like to cover is the built in safety measures. The first and most important feature is the riving knife. The riving knife is height adjustable and easy to set by removing the blade insert and loosening the wing nut. The next important safety feature is the blade guards. The blade guards are split down the bias so that if you are doing a slim cut you can keep the guard down on one side while you and temporarily lock up the other. There is on-board storage for a push stick as well as all of the guards and blades.

Overall I am very pleased with the Bosch 4100-09 table saw. The weight, size and functionality are perfect for a person that is not a cabinet maker. There are no major deficiencies with the saw that I would correct. As with any table saw make sure you read and understand the safety features and functionality of the saw before you hurt yourself.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Great review. I am extremely happy with this saw as well. The gravity rise is VERY nice. It influenced my purchase of the gravity rise mitre stand.

I would like to the add that the table extensions are “light duty” They are not going to take the weight of a 3/4″ sheet. They do help but they have their limits.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Great review Jason. I have the smaller GTS1031 and have to say I’ve been really impressed with it. If I used a TS more often I think I would step up to this one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Really great review Jason, Is that base the one you just ordered from here? Or was that for something else? I’m really sold on those bases for the storing feature

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I would like to the add that the table extensions are “light duty” They are not going to take the weight of a 3/4″ sheet. They do help but they have their limits.

Thanks for that info Brad, I have been tossing the idea around. For now I just setup saw horses and some ply as my outfeed which is not ideal but it can take the load of 3/4″ as I send it through. I may still pick them up for lighter work.

Really great review Jason, Is that base the one you just ordered from here? Or was that for something else? I’m really sold on those bases for the storing feature

That saw came with the gravity rise stand, I will be getting the miter saw version soon from BTP.

I forgot to mention in my review that the saw accepts a standard shop vac hose for simple dust extraction.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Just to clarify, I really like the extensions, and think they are a must have, they just won’t hold a full sheet of 3/4″ they do flex substantially.

I also have the “bag” on the dust collection and it works as expected.

The mitre stand is larger and doesn’t get as compact as the table saw stand but I still REALLY like it. I have it fitted with a makita and it has been great.

Brad T

redwood
    Pro

The gravity table saw stand is high on my list.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

The gravity table saw stand is high on my list.

I can’t blame you, its built like a tank. Its rare these days to get a tool or accessory and when you use it you think to yourself, “This thing is built to last a really long time!” This is a major “win” for Bosch.

Just to clarify, I really like the extensions, and think they are a must have, they just won’t hold a full sheet of 3/4″ they do flex substantially.

Thanks for the clarification Brad, From your previous post it kind of seemed like you were on the fence about them. Ok then I will surely pick them up.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks for the clarification Brad, From your previous post it kind of seemed like you were on the fence about them. Ok then I will surely pick them up.

No prob, I reread my post and I thought it did sound like I didn’t like them.

My wish list for this saw is an insert for a router when the extension is out… I might have to make something.

Brad T

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Great review, Jason. I am going to be looking for another portable table saw this spring and have been considering the 4100-09 or the GTS1031.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

My wish list for this saw is an insert for a router when the extension is out… I might have to make something.

Brad that is an incredible idea, that extension is just asking for an insert. Do you know of any other companies out there that offer a factory insert for this application?

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Jason, great review – thanks for writing that up for us all. One question, and i may have missed this but, how do you adjust the fence? is there a knob to turn or do you just push the fence to the desired position and lock it in on top and bottom?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

how do you adjust the fence

There is a lever on the front of the fence that you flip up and then you can slide the fence left and right. I have not waxed the table yet but I think that will really help it slide. Right now it works great but its a bit sticky.

This is a great review and definitely models what BTP is all about! I am definitely eying this saw, but I am a little torn since I now have a track saw… I forget – are you able to use dado blades with the bosch? That is one of the biggest reasons I would consider getting it….

John S

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

how do you adjust the fence

There is a lever on the front of the fence that you flip up and then you can slide the fence left and right. I have not waxed the table yet but I think that will really help it slide. Right now it works great but its a bit sticky.

Thats what i figured. Table looks very similar to my dewalt job site saw which has a rack and pinion fence which slides it smoothly to the left or right.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

This is a great review and definitely models what BTP is all about! I am definitely eying this saw, but I am a little torn since I now have a track saw… I forget – are you able to use dado blades with the bosch? That is one of the biggest reasons I would consider getting it….

There is the ability to use dado blades. I haven’t yet but I know you can. I can’t remember off the top of my head but I think it is limitec on thickness.

Brad that is an incredible idea, that extension is just asking for an insert. Do you know of any other companies out there that offer a factory insert for this application?

I don’t know of any drop in inserts for this application. I did order a rectangular router insert plate (happened to be a bosch, but just found one that was on sale) with the intention of making something fit. This is what got me thinking of the idea. This guy made one out of wood, I would like to mill a piece of AL and set the insert into it.

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/36595-router-table-insert-bosch-4100-table-saw.html

Brad T

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Here’s a picture. I think if I was going to do it I would have it attached all the time and change the rule on the fence adjust. I checked and you can fold up the saw with the table extended. My only concern would leaving the router hanging on the insert. I think a dedicated housing would be OK and just remove the motor.

Brad T

Here’s a picture. I think if I was going to do it I would have it attached all the time and change the rule on the fence adjust. I checked and you can fold up the saw with the table extended. My only concern would leaving the router hanging on the insert. I think a dedicated housing would be OK and just remove the motor.

Well Brad, I am sure glad you are here at BTP – I absolutely love this idea as I am a man who is always intrigued by the ability to combine different needs into one tool/location without compromising quality/function… This is great!

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Thanks for the welcome.

I thought since I was in the shop today I would take some pictures of both the gravity lift stands. It’s interesting to note that the mitre stand is quite a bit larger then the table saw stand. It can’t get as close to the wall (due to the saw) and has more parts (the large out feed stands). You can get it tighter by turning it sideways, but this becomes somewhat awkward to get it close to the wall with other object beside it. Unlike the table saw that just rolls in nice and tight.

Because of this I tend to leave the mitre stand set up

Folded up but perpendicular to the table saw

Pushed straight in:

Brad T

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

John, how did I miss this? What track saw do you have?

Yes, you can use a dado blade but when I proposed the question on another thread I was advised to use a 6″ blade set just to make sure it had enough juice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.771 seconds