dcsimg

Bonus Room Split

This topic contains 58 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Got the sewer and water service installed Friday afternoon. We will dig the foundation on Monday and get this one rolling.

Attachments:

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

foundation

That’s nice you do your own foundation work, they always seem to come out better that way. Can’t wait to see it take shape.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Looking forward to following this one. Hopefully your better then I am at remembering to take pictures at the end of the day! Lol

foundation

That’s nice you do your own foundation work, they always seem to come out better that way. Can’t wait to see it take shape.

We do 99% of our own footings also. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sometimes the block layers end up a little off, but they are usually pretty good to us.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Got the sewer and water service installed Friday afternoon. We will dig the foundation on Monday and get this one rolling.

Surprised the grounds not too frozen yet. Good luck on a new one Kurt! Keep it coming.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

foundation

We sub our foundation and concrete work. We just can not do it for what we can sub it for in addition to our guys stay fairly busy just with the carpentry.

Suprisingly we only have about a foot to a foot and a half of frost. It pretty much stops at the separation between the topsoil and the clay which makes stripping the topsoil easy. What is thee is fairly soft so it is easy to rip through

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Suprisingly we only have about a foot to a foot and a half of frost. It pretty much stops at the separation between the topsoil and the clay which makes stripping the topsoil easy. What is thee is fairly soft so it is easy to rip through

Do you have your own back hoe?

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Do you have your own back hoe?

I have a 7000 lb mini excavator, a 25 series class. We use it on a lot of smaller jobs,(additional and the like) but for this one I have the excavation subbed. The excavator I have is not large enough to dig the sewer and water service so I typically sub the backhoe work on new homes. It would just take to long to dig a foundation with nine.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We sub our foundation and concrete work. We just can not do it for what we can sub it for in addition to our guys stay fairly busy just with the carpentry.

Subbing makes a lot of sense in that case. Sometimes you’d like to do it in house but cost wise it just make sense to sub it out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Will be following along on this build. Good thing that this winter has been mild or the frost might have been a bit deeper to get through.

How big will the home be?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Always nice to follow your builds,
    What size of lot is this on
    And what size of split will this home be.
    Is it a model home or is it already for a client.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The lot is about a quarter acre, The main footprint of the house is about 300 SF for a total of about 1400 SF above grade. It is a Spec, I have 2 lots in this sub division that I want to close out so I will be building specs on them to move the lots. We have built this home in other sub divisions previously and it has always been a quick sale. It is a plan fairly unique to us in the area.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

The lot is about a quarter acre, The main footprint of the house is about 300 SF for a total of about 1400 SF above grade. It is a Spec, I have 2 lots in this sub division that I want to close out so I will be building specs on them to move the lots. We have built this home in other sub divisions previously and it has always been a quick sale. It is a plan fairly unique to us in the area.

Nice, was that the walk out bungalow with a single garage, if it’s it, I remember that one a while ago, it had a very nice layout.
    That’s a typical lot size around here also.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think the last time we built this plan was before I knew about this forum. It has been quite a while. Probably prior to the downturn.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Starting excavation this morning. Stripped topsoil then a shallow excavation and formed footings. My concrete sub will pour them tomorrow.

Attachments:

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Starting excavation this morning. Stripped topsoil then a shallow excavation and formed footings. My concrete sub will pour them tomorrow.

That means you will have 2 houses going at once? Are they close to each other so it will be easier to supervise?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Foundation not going down very far. Do you do complete basements in MN or are they basically all walkouts?
    It seems there are quite a few areas in the US that have no basements.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Foundation not going down very far. Do you do complete basements in MN or are they basically all walkouts?

Looks like they have basements by the houses behind. More then likely just this model.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The lot is about a quarter acre,

Wow that’s about 1,100 square feet, lots here in this neighborhood are about 5,500 square feet.

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Looks like they have basements by the houses behind. More then likely just this model.

It is a split entry and the center of the lot sits a little low compared to the street so we will not have to dig much. we will actually have to haul in some fill to get the grades where we need them.

The area had some water problems in the past so I set the house up as high as I am allowed. An old builder once told me, when I was starting out, “it is better to be a foot to high with the foundation of the house than an inch to low” I have never forgotten that.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That sounds like good advice.
    One that always stuck with me is:
    “a bad word travels 10 times as fast as a good word”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.782 seconds