dcsimg

Blaklader Pants

This topic contains 1,005 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of r-ice r-ice 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,006 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i recieved my blakladder pants 3 1/2 weeks ago, i was very impressed with the manufacturing of them upon opening the box. they are very well made. they consist of 120z duck which is the same fabric carhartt uses on most of their dungarees and overalls.

the two key features that really sets these pants apart from the competition is the built in fastener pockets which can be tucked into the primarty pocket so their not visable hanging off you when your out running around. on the left side their are two fastener pockets and on the right side its a single fastenr pocket with two tool pockets. on the sides of the legs are a multitude of tool pockets along with a cell phone pocket and a hammer loop.

The other key feature on these pants is the built in knee pad pockets so you can tuck foam knee pads right into the pants which blakladder makes and was nice enough to include in the “be the pro prize pack ” . i personally really like this feature as i almost always wear kneepads which are nothing more than volleyball pads that i wear under my pants.. i do so do to a knee injury that required surgery.. i can barely kneel with out a pad.

The major advantage of these pants is the extra pockets on the front.. by including this i was able to not have to wear my toolbelt while installing trim in a house where teh first coat of paint was on the walls.. by eliminating the tool belt theres less chance of tools swinging aroiund damaging walls that te painters will have to fix. typically when i install trim i wear a toolbelt only during hanging doors, installing window built outs and casing them.. at the baseboard and door hardware stage ill just carry a hammer, tape and a knife.. along with my nailer and glue bottle.. this can be limiting.. .

the only thing that would be an issue with these pants is wearing them in the summer. the fabric is very heavy which will get very warm quick..

besides that. these pants are best suited to trim carpenters, electricians, cabinet builders and installers. trademsan doing service work and those installing hardware and fixtures

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Great review Jeff. When you have stuff in the front pockets how are the pants when you bend over forwards. I know if I put too much in my tool belt it is really hard to bend forward.

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Great review Jeff! I agree with everything you said and have found the same things to be true with the pair that I got. The built in knee pads and extra tool or fastener pockets on the front really set these pants apart from any of my other work pants. I wore mine when doing a kitchen install and they worked great. I didn’t find the need for a tool belt at all since the pants held everything that I needed. I also did some repair work on a fascia and the pants held everything that I needed when I was up the ladder including my hammer.

I found that I had great mobility when wearing the pants and really appreciated the small details like the bottoms of the leg pockets not actually being attached to the pants. I have found with other work pants that tools in the side pockets will dig into your leg when you crouch down, but that is not a problem with these pants. I haven’t been able to try the pants in warm weather yet but I don’t imagine they will be too much different than my other pants. The pants seem to be very well constructed and thought out, I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a tough and very practical pair of pants.

John, I didn’t have any problems bending forwards with things in the pockets. I didn’t have the pockets stuffed full either but the pockets have enough give in them that it’s not an issue.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

as long as the pockets arent fully loaded with things bending over isnt an issue

Profile photo of Kevin
    kzcarp
    Pro

The knee pads are great for working outside during the winter, when doing work that makes you have to kneel down in the dirt or wet slab/deck. Anything that keeps the water from getting to the inside layer of fabric, and keeps the knees off the cold concrete.
    Pockets are great I just wish there was a more “natural” place to put my phone.

kevin

Nice review there Jeff.

Profile photo of Brian
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I would love to get a pair soon, so many great prizes and so little points.

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

They are well worth getting Brian if you get the points saved up. I just ordered a pair of the shorts too for the summer. They look like they have all the same features except no knee pads obviously. I noticed the other day that the shorts are 8 oz cotton canvas rather than the 12 oz that the pants are made out of so they should be cooler.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

hmm really dan good to know. i also ordered a pair the other day

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i should add for those in Nova Scotia the only place to buy blak ladder gear is at http://www.murphygear.com

I need to write up a review on all of the great giveaways, but to be brief now – I am blown away by the durability of these blakladder pants… I suppose it is because I have never bought a nice pair of work pants, but I am convinced these pants are gonna last me a few years, assuming I don’t get a big ol’ belly 🙂

John S

Profile photo of Mark (Redwood)
    redwood
    Pro

How are these pants sized? How many sizes do they shrink after washed and dried? Cotton shrinks a lot, if I remember correctly. I’m not shrinking that much.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Profile photo of Jeff
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

they are the same type of material as carhartts so order one size larger, they will shrink after being washed. what doesnt make sense on the blakladder site though is the sizing.. they list them as s, m, L.. when infact they have true pant sizing available

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

I didn’t find that there was really much shrinkage after mine were washed, at least nothing super noticeable. All my other pants are 34W 32L and that is what I ordered from Blaklader and they fit perfectly even after washing.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

I haven’t been a 34W since 8th grade.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

I always tell people that I keep myself trim so that I can fit inside of cabinets easier 🙂 Sometimes when I’m doing installs it really comes in handy being thinner when I’m trying to get my body into tight spots to fasten down countertops etc.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I know the feeling when I have to climb inside birdhouses to put the insides in some of them . 🙂

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Not too many people can say that they climb inside a bird house John 🙂 Pretty much any bird house that I’ve seen other than yours wouldn’t be nearly big enough.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

Well, my weight comes in handy when I have to move something big and heavy. Or sit on a disgruntled employee.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

lol that’s true Mark…you certainly have me beat there 🙂

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Blaklader Pants’ is closed to new replies.

queries. 1.073 seconds