dcsimg

BLACK FRIDAY DEALS 2016!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

The RIDGID 16 gal. 6.5-Peak HP Wet Dry Vac at Homedepot for $99 (was $159) is in my opinion a pretty good deal.

My dad was thinking about getting this. If memory serves me correctly either this Vac or the step down from this one was 39 bucks last year on black Friday. I wish I would gotten it. If they have that same deal this year i will get it.

Doobie

Never seem to get anything on Black Friday sales. I have jumped on a few Lee Valley Cyber Monday deals, but even there the last few years have been duds for me.

Came across the better Bosch router table on sale at Menards for $159 plus you get an 11% rebate. I have never seen it for a better price.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

There was a one off here, No Frills had 42″ TV’s at $199 and Samsung 7″ Tablets for $99. Yes I said NO FRILLS.

So far the only thing I have seen that was a decent sale price was 3/4 pipe clamps at CTC for 60% off, selling at $10.39 Product #057-2583-6

Similar style to these Bessey Clamps

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

The RIDGID 16 gal. 6.5-Peak HP Wet Dry Vac at Homedepot for $99 (was $159) is in my opinion a pretty good deal.

My dad was thinking about getting this. If memory serves me correctly either this Vac or the step down from this one was 39 bucks last year on black Friday. I wish I would gotten it. If they have that same deal this year i will get it.

Im pretty sure it was a step down, 5hp, which they have had several times over the years, so i’d say this is a pretty good deal, the 5 hp just doesn’t have enough suck in my opinion.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I always look.at blackfirday deals but bosch tools are very rare to find at good price its usually there is little saving from msrp but you can sell a quality product for cheap and if you buy it cheap usually its not a quality product

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Im pretty sure it was a step down, 5hp, which they have had several times over the years, so i’d say this is a pretty good deal, the 5 hp just doesn’t have enough suck in my opinion.

I believe so too. I looked at that unit too when I was in the store but I was not interested because I own a 6.5 peak hp ridgid unit which I purchased 4 years ago. But the Black Friday shop vacs were gone in a heart beat

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Over on toolguyd.com there are a lot of the black Friday deals

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

One thing that really irks me about Rigid vacuums. They make a good one, but they put outlandish horsepower ratings on them. Totally false.

One horsepower is about 745 Watts of energy. Divide that by a nominal 115 volts and it will need just under 6.5 amps to get that 1HP. If you get 2 HP, that draws 13 amps.

Most normal circuits are on a 15 amp breaker, some are 20 amp circuits, so just getting over 2.15 HP is going to trip 15A breakers. 5 and 6 HP motors on 115 lines is just bullshit. 5 HP needs about 3725 watts so you would need at least a 33 amp breaker.

5hp x 745watts = 3725W

3725 / 115V (nominal) = 32.39 amps

There is no need to dole out this kind of misinformation when the product is decent and stands on it’s own.

How do they do this? Well, it is the same as those flea market stereo amplifiers that say you are getting 1000 watts of power.

First, our voltage is measured as rms (root mean square) voltage.

Voltage (AC) is a sine wave. You have a “0” point and the sine wave travels above the 0 and below the 0. This is “peak to peak” voltage. RMS voltage is about .7 of 1/2 peak to peak roughly.

V(p to p) /2 x 0.7 = 115V (rms)
    V(p to p) /2 = 115 / 0.7
    V(p to p) = (115 /0.7) x 2
    V(p to p) = 328.57V – the peak to peak voltage from your wall outlet, which means nothing except to advertisers who want to make things look good.

So, if you use 329 volts (peak to peak) for your calculations, you can really skew the calculations in your advertising.

Note: Figures and calculations are rough guidelines, but close enough for the layperson to figure out what is going on. Most things, when you turn them on, get a big voltage spike for the first few milliseconds (instantaneous voltage). Breakers are designed to trip slower than this spike, so it does not affect them, but if you measure peak to peak on the instantaneous voltage your numbers go up even higher, even though that only happens for a negligible period of time, the advertisers use it.

The math they use is theoretically correct, but for practical purposes, totally misleading.

Isn’t science fun? If we have any electricians here please jump in and correct things. It has been a long time since I played with these equations and math.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

One thing that really irks me about Rigid vacuums. They make a good one, but they put outlandish horsepower ratings on them. Totally false.

One horsepower is about 745 Watts of energy. Divide that by a nominal 115 volts and it will need just under 6.5 amps to get that 1HP. If you get 2 HP, that draws 13 amps.

Most normal circuits are on a 15 amp breaker, some are 20 amp circuits, so just getting over 2.15 HP is going to trip 15A breakers. 5 and 6 HP motors on 115 lines is just bullshit. 5 HP needs about 3725 watts so you would need at least a 33 amp breaker.

5hp x 745watts = 3725W

3725 / 115V (nominal) = 32.39 amps

There is no need to dole out this kind of misinformation when the product is decent and stands on it’s own.

How do they do this? Well, it is the same as those flea market stereo amplifiers that say you are getting 1000 watts of power.

First, our voltage is measured as rms (root mean square) voltage.

Voltage (AC) is a sine wave. You have a “0” point and the sine wave travels above the 0 and below the 0. This is “peak to peak” voltage. RMS voltage is about .7 of 1/2 peak to peak roughly.

V(p to p) /2 x 0.7 = 115V
    V(p to p) /2 = 115 / 0.7
    V(p to p) = (115 /0.7) x 2
    V(p to p) = 328.57V – the peak to peak voltage from your wall outlet, which means nothing except to advertisers who want to make things look good.

So, if you use 329 volts (peak to peak) for your calculations, you can really skew the calculations in your advertising.

Note: Figures and calculations are rough guidelines, but close enough for the layperson to figure out what is going on. Most things, when you turn them on, get a big voltage spike for the first few milliseconds (instantaneous voltage). Breakers are designed to trip slower than this spike, so it does not affect them, but if you measure peak to peak on the instantaneous voltage your numbers go up even higher, even though that only happens for a negligible period of time, the advertisers use it.

The math they use is theoretically correct, but for practical purposes, totally misleading.

Isn’t science fun? If we have any electricians here please jump in and correct things. It has been a long time since I played with these equations and math.

I will add to that – most reasonably efficient electric motors that deliver 1.75 horsepower draw about 14 amps in real world measurements. That means that a 2hp motor is going to take 20A to be safe. More than that (on vacs, routers, and a few other things) is marketing choosing to advertise by Peak HP, not the real HP

Peak HP is more about what the motor could handle then what it actually delivers. But, if everyone agrees to the same lie, at least a 6.5hp vac is probably more powerful than their 5hp vac…. and a 2.25hp router is probably better than a 1.75hp router, even though the 2.25 cannot actually run that on our circuits.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

https://www.workshopaddict.com/tools/acme-tools-black-friday-sales/

Only $279 for the top of the 360° Three-Plane Leveling and Alignment-Line Laser from Bosch. This is a great deal for anyone who needs to do layouts of any7 kind (and don’t we all?).

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/bosch-gll3-50-3-line-laser?cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-HomeRow4_CatEntries-_-HomeRow4_CatEntries-_-BOSCH-GLL3-50

Happy measuring.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

http://www.internationaltool.com/specials#ad27

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

While NOT a tool gift, it is a gift that keeps on giving.

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product-reviews/B008JELLCA/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe so too. I looked at that unit too when I was in the store but I was not interested because I own a 6.5 peak hp ridgid unit which I purchased 4 years ago. But the Black Friday shop vacs were gone in a heart beat

This is the one y’all are talking about, I know cuz I bought one. I’m happy with it and it’s well worth the money, It sucks just fine lol….The only drawback is the intake port is located in the upper housing rather than on the side of the tank, Therefor ya can’t use a bag in it. But I knew that going in and it ain’t no biggy, Especially if ya use it with a ‘dust deputy’

Yep, I learned that lesson a long time ago when buying amps. I was simply told there is no legal requirements on these things so the manufacturer can advertise whatever number they want, It’s best to hear it in person…..OK Sorry for the OT.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product-reviews/B008JELLCA/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Jim

I started reading the reviews on the page. I am still wiping tears from my eyes. Thanks for my daily laugh.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Well it fits the tool category – it is a gut wrench. LOL

Jim

I started reading the reviews on the page. I am still wiping tears from my eyes. Thanks for my daily laugh.

Thanks for that….

Anonymous
    Inactive

And I always heard gummy bears stay in your system for 7 years lol

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

And I always heard gummy bears stay in your system for 7 years lol

Buy reading some of those reviews, these gummy bears want the hell out as quick as they went in. LOL 😮

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • The topic ‘BLACK FRIDAY DEALS 2016!!’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.389 seconds