dcsimg

Big box stores to stop selling conductors under #10 by length

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Went to Lowes yesterday to get 20′ of #12 THHN #12 stranded conductor in yellow and was told they no longer sell anything under #10 by the linear foot. Have to buy the 100′ ot 500′ reels. Said The Home Depot is doing this as well.

Not sure if it’s a regional thing or company wide thing.

At least Ace still sells it.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think they have a lot of waste due to miscuts and over length cuts, not to mention that odd ball piece at the end of the roll. It probably is not to profitable for them with all that, not to mention it takes up floor space, and my guess is that they do not sell a lot of it. Less and less people are able to do their own wiring all the time.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I think they have a lot of waste due to miscuts and over length cuts, not to mention that odd ball piece at the end of the roll. It probably is not to profitable for them with all that, not to mention it takes up floor space, and my guess is that they do not sell a lot of it. Less and less people are able to do their own wiring all the time.

I agree, the waste factor has to be a concern as well as the labour it takes to measure, cut and reroll small lengths. After all, they are in business to make money; unprofitable products and services have no place in their world.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Also dont forget someone has to cut it. So takes up employe power to get it done.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I never get wire cuts at BB stores myself. I go to electrical supply places for all that kind of stuff anyways.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Well most people are buying romex, not individual conductors so I imagine they don’t sell enough of it.

It makes sense when you think about it, but I’d be annoyed if I went to buy some it was no longer available …

Will

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It makes sense when you think about it, but I’d be annoyed if I went to buy some it was no longer available …

Very true…unless you live in an area that requires EMT. If so, you wouldn’t be using NM wire and may have the need for THHN by the foot.

In my case, I buy a whole roll (NM typically not the THHN stuff).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I come across more EMT for older wiring.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Went to Lowes yesterday to get 20′ of #12 THHN #12 stranded conductor in yellow and was told they no longer sell anything under #10 by the linear foot. Have to buy the 100′ ot 500′ reels. Said The Home Depot is doing this as well.

I’ll have to check my store to see what is happening. Hope they still sell by the foot.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.507 seconds