dcsimg

Big Box Store Fails

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 330 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I saw this at Lowes the other day. they guy had a long box in the back so the tailgate was not going up. he had all the lumber wedged between the dash and windshield to hold it up like that. I think It would have been much easier to put it in the box and tie it down along with the box he had.

That is about 8′ floating out the back of the cab window.

Braking suddenly is certainly a perilous issue.

I’ve stuffed things precariously up against my windshield in the past. I drive home like grandpa out on a Sunday drive and avoid bumps and sharp driving actions. HD is just a couple of miles from me. Would never go long distances like that. Some windshields are super pricey to replace.

Sometimes I would look to run them diagonally and out the passenger window instead sometimes temporarily buying an appropriate Sonotube to shove them into going out the window and try to not have it lean down too much on the side view mirror if at all using the passenger seat backrest configured way back and the seat forward and/or passenger window itself as a rest instead trying to adjust it such that the bulk of it wasn’t dependent on the window turned down to fit. This works especially well for long thinnish things and such, but typically not necessary for lumber necessitating a sonotube.

Little tricks you learn when you don’t have a truck/van and just an SUV which is all I have now for the last few years.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think It would have been much easier to put it in the box and tie it down along with the box he had.

Yep one fast stop and it goes through the windshield. You gotta be careful with shifting loads.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I remember may be ten years ago I had about twenty EMT conduits all ten footers sizes 1/2″ and 3/4″ I need to move from the store to a job. I slid the conduits onto the passenger side, basically resting it on the dash – passenger side seat with the head rest removed – the rear seat. I tied a bungie cord around the bundle so it won’t come apart and drove slowly.

But out of no where even going at 20mph a bicycle came out of no where going the wrong way as I made a turn and I had to brake, I knew braking hard was a bad idea so instead I half braked and half steered in the opposing direction. I avoided the bicyclist but the EMT conduit bundle came sliding across the dash and hit my shoulder. It was sore for a week.

Doobie

I remember may be ten years ago I had about twenty EMT conduits all ten footers sizes 1/2″ and 3/4″ I need to move from the store to a job. I slid the conduits onto the passenger side, basically resting it on the dash – passenger side seat with the head rest removed – the rear seat. I tied a bungie cord around the bundle so it won’t come apart and drove slowly.

But out of no where even going at 20mph a bicycle came out of no where going the wrong way as I made a turn and I had to brake, I knew braking hard was a bad idea so instead I half braked and half steered in the opposing direction. I avoided the bicyclist but the EMT conduit bundle came sliding across the dash and hit my shoulder. It was sore for a week.

I bring a roll of this plastic Saran Wrap ‘twine’ with me sometimes to strap things nice and tight together, especially for stuff sticking out a window.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/storage/tape/32004-flat-twine?item=23K2003

It is quite handy for a lot of things where bungie, rope, or sticky tape just won’t do. The rolls are dimentionally the same as standard packing tape.

Yeah that could hurt , and be dangerous , I’ve slid smaller moldings and conduit trew the headrest posts , and taped them tight together plus tied down to the trunk of my SUV just in case , but it’s definitely harder with bigger materials.
    With my Ford SUV roof rack , I made four posts with quick release brackets , they were about 8 inches tall , I used them also for hauling around the 24 ft extension ladder on the roof rack.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I bring a roll of this plastic Saran Wrap ‘twine’ with me sometimes to strap things nice and tight together, especially for stuff sticking out a window.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/storage/tape/32004-flat-twine?item=23K2003

It is quite handy for a lot of things where bungie, rope, or sticky tape just won’t do. The rolls are dimentionally the same as standard packing tape.

That is a great idea taking. I sure that would be quite handy. I need to pick some of that stuff. I sure I could use when we move.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

That is a great idea taking. I sure that would be quite handy. I need to pick some of that stuff. I sure I could use when we move.

I just bought four more rolls not long ago. It’s not as cheap as reg tape, far from it actually. But it’s been that good for me since I bought into it quite a few years ago that I wanted it on as a staple in my arsenal of gizmos.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s a good idea, I like it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah those little wrapping things are pretty strong , we use them in the plant when we have to send out our platforms to different departments , really keeps things in place

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I just bought four more rolls not long ago. It’s not as cheap as reg tape, far from it actually. But it’s been that good for me since I bought into it quite a few years ago that I wanted it on as a staple in my arsenal of gizmos.

I used this stuff before when I worked for Furniture store a few years back. I never bought any before to have on hand. I usually just use tape. But after see your post I will getting some.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But after see your post I will getting some.

It really does look handy and I never knew it existed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

these are 2″ wide. Do they have some that’s like 10 FEET WIDE?

I want some really wide ones. That way I can run around a building and wrap the whole building covering all the windows in one shot when a hurricane is approaching LOL!!! Saran Wrap shuttering system in ten minutes.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

But after see your post I will getting some.

It really does look handy and I never knew it existed.

Oh really you never knew existed. I am sure you pick it up at big box store.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I want some really wide ones. That way I can run around a building and wrap the whole building covering all the windows in one shot when a hurricane is approaching LOL!!! Saran Wrap shuttering system in ten minutes.

Now that’s a good idea.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Sure! And don’t forget to wrap the vehicles too! 😉

Sure! And don’t forget to wrap the vehicles too! 😉

Might as well wrap them up with the house , alone and they might blow away 🤷‍♂️🙄

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Was at Home Depot this morning.

everyone inside (customers AND employees) had masks on their faces.

a significant number of them have them on wrong (customers AND employees). Mask over the mouth but not the nose.

One of the employees, one who has a badge on her shirt that says “SOCIAL DISTANCE CAPTAIN”, had the mask on her chin, exposing both her nose and mouth, because she was chewing gum.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

One of the employees, one who has a badge on her shirt that says “SOCIAL DISTANCE CAPTAIN”, had the mask on her chin, exposing both her nose and mouth, because she was chewing gum.

What can you do, just go with the flow I guess. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Was at Home Depot this morning.

everyone inside (customers AND employees) had masks on their faces.

a significant number of them have them on wrong (customers AND employees). Mask over the mouth but not the nose.

That’s weird , I can’t believe she would do something like that , especially being the social distancing captain
    Apparently they discovered that the nasal passage is linked with the lungs , who would have thought that 🙄🤭🤫

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

especially being the social distancing captain

Do as I say not as I do LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 330 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.614 seconds