dcsimg

Big Box Store Fails

This topic contains 241 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 3 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 242 total)
  • Author

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I don’t know if we have a thread on this, but sometimes I see things at Lowe’s that make me chuckle. This was one of those moments today.

Too funny! Put a small weight on the end of the lumber and the car will be tilted on its rear wheels. LOL I bet the folks who work at Lowe’s, HD and Menards would have a ton of stories like this.

CB
    Pro

The biggest Big Box Store fails I have noticed out this way are that the big box home improvement stores have become a mecca for thieves. Very well organized thieves, who appear to have look outs stationed amid and among the day laborers hanging around the periphery looking for work.

Unlike the parking lot at Bed Bath & Beyond, the thieves have figured out that the net value of goods obtainable per unlawful vehicle entry is an order of magnitude higher in a Big Box Home Improvement store… as opposed to say, a Target store.

I have three associates who have been hit at the Big Box stores. All with tools locked up in enclosed utility/service bodies. It isn’t like these guys had big bright screaming yellow DeWalt bags visible through the glass on the front seat of their pickups. No, the thieves broke into enclosed metal side boxes, or had master keys, or used some other technique to strip out as much as $2,500 of tools per pop.

And they wear costumes to fool parking lot security. I literally saw them breaking into my friend’s truck, while wearing white hard hats and yellow construction vests. At first I thought they were admiring my friend’s neat looking service body truck which he just had mounted to his Dodge diesel. But they were too close to the truck, and “admiring” it too long.

I left my friend behind and ran up to his truck to get a closer look at what they were doing, but they vanished as I approached. What I didn’t see was the car hidden on the other side of my friend’s truck, where yet another hard hat, safety vest wearing person was already at the wheel, engine running, facing outward… and the car suddenly took off, tires screeching.

I gave chase, past all of the day laborers, who seemed to just laugh, knowingly. My friend finally caught up, and we went back to his truck to find that every single cabinet had been entered, and every tool (except his Stiletto hammer, which he got when he last worked with me) was gone. Security got the whole thing on video. And parking lot security saw the whole thing with her own two eyes. Because of the costumes they were, she thought they were legitimately transferring tools from their work truck to one of their personal vehicles.

And this was the second time he had been hit while at a Home Depot, picking up a few things mid job.

My truck has a utility body also. Whenever and as often as physically possible, I try and get supplies delivered, or I go to places like White Cap, Graybar, Platt, Heick,.. commercial places that are not well known as to what they are and what they do in the public eye. I get building materials at true lumber yards, where everyone knows or remembers and recognizes each other.

The money lost in the parking lot of a Big Box store isn’t worth the “savings” of Big Box store prices. The Big Box stores are certainly convenient after close of normal business hours, and on the weekends, but between the low grade lumber and the high profile status among thieves… the Big Box Stores are a fail for me. It kills me whenever time or location forces me to go there anyway.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@cb good update, I have not seen or heard of that in our area, but I can see it happening in larger metro areas.

I do see lots of people overloading vehicles at our local lowes, I sometimes snap photos of them, but recently cleaned out my phone and deleted them. I will have to save them for this thread in the future.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Here’s one from a few years back.The man was in the store getting some twine to tie his load down when I took the pic.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I don’t know if we have a thread on this, but sometimes I see things at Lowe’s that make me chuckle. This was one of those moments today.

That will bring you a $500 fine in my area if the police gets you.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like this one with the cling wrap working over time LOL!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

Ratchet strap? Never heard of such a thing!
    I bet he winds it back on the tube to use again next time…

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

LOL that’s a good one. I wonder how long that took to wrap.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

WOW. This one I busted a gut on. LOL.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

That’s the spider web tie down method LOL

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That’s the spider web tie down method LOL

LMAO

Kamster
    Pro

OMG… he actually bent both bars on his roof rack

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

that’s quite funny. nice shot!
    I’ve seen a couple too, guess I have to start taking pictures from now on to share it in this thread

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

OMG… he actually bent both bars on his roof rack

Yea,, those are surfboard racks of light sporting equipment.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Saw this at the local Lowes, it was being pulled to go to the cull pile. (you think) I do not think I have ever seen such a twist, even on treated. I swear it was almost 90 degrees of twist.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That got my chuckle for the day. Thank you for posting Dirty.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

WOW. The 2nd picture amazes me why someone would get that. I hope they don’t think to put a few nails in and it will straighten out lol. That board is only good for a bon fire or the fireplace.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Saw this at the local Lowes, it was being pulled to go to the cull pile. (you think) I do not think I have ever seen such a twist, even on treated. I swear it was almost 90 degrees of twist.

Defies imagination, and people actually buy this stuff, take it home and try to work with it. Ahh, well, food for the hack thread.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Clev08
    Pro

That’s the kind of crap you get around here if you have your lumber delivered in quantities less than a full pallet, we always have to go and hand pick our lumber so we can provide the best quality end product

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.362 seconds