dcsimg

Best/Easiest way to remove Silicone Caulk

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

@58Chev, sorry Frank here it is, I usually buy it from BMR but they should have just at C T and Home Depot

I bought some of that at HD two years ago. Likely they still carry it.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I find razor blade too flexible, so I used a sharp wood chisel instead. But you have to be careful with the angle so you don’t gouge the surface.

We used that around the windows at PCL. We have a stone to sharpen every day.. Thing was super sharp though, you could cut into the frame very easy if not careful.
    First cut with knife/fein, then done with the chisel and followed by the wire wheel.

A Working Pro since 2004

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What about the plastic caulk remover that comes with the caulk tooling kits??

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Do they work Dirty? I have not used them.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie

I have one I just came accross in my tiling box of stuff, but I don’t think I’ve ever used it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t know?? I have one but never used it.

Doobie
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@58Chev, sorry Frank here it is, I usually buy it from BMR but they should have just at C T and Home Depot

Picked up a bottle at lunch time today from my local Home Hardware.

I have several different plastic tools but the problem is only minute bits come off at a time. I even made a wooden tool on my bandsaw hoping to make it easier, did not.

What about one of these things?

http://www.arichard.com/en/catalog/scraper/grout-remover-with-carbide-triangular-blade/

I’ve got something similar but the tolling edges are metal, geared more towards stripping paint off trim work.

I will give the remover a try tonight when I get home.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I always thought that silicone remover stuff was more for removing uncured silicone. Does it work on cured?

Resident Sign Guy

@58Chev, glad to hear that Frank. Hoping it works good for you, it did work for me, and the reviews on CT were pretty positive.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

http://www.arichard.com/en/catalog/scraper/grout-remover-with-carbide-triangular-blade/

Seems to be geared toward hard brittle stuff like tile grout, can’t imagine it works on silicone since it doesn’t really have an edge to get under the caulk.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I always thought that silicone remover stuff was more for removing uncured silicone. Does it work on cured?

The liquid in a bottle type? Yeah they work on cured, takes a while but they will turn silicone into goo that’s a bit easier to scrape off.

Doobie

Seems to be geared toward hard brittle stuff like tile grout, can’t imagine it works on silicone since it doesn’t really have an edge to get under the caulk.

I actually just bought one a few weeks back from HD for a non-tile purpose and it does have a sharp edge on all sides. You can even flip the cutting edge so the bevel of the edge is opposite depending on how effectively you want to use it.

The blade affixes via a cam lock that you engage/disengage using a lever built into the handle, so the blades are not only replaceable, but can be changed orientation as I mentioned. This might be the tool of choice for this task now that I think of it.

The blade is about 3/16th’s thick and it is quite sharp as you want to be careful handling it. It’ll slice you open real fast.

One pic of each blade orientation below.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I actually just bought one a few weeks back from HD for a non-tile purpose and it does have a sharp edge on all sides. You can even flip the cutting edge so the bevel of the edge is opposite depending on how effectively you want to use it.

The blade affixes via a cam lock that you engage/disengage using a lever built into the handle, so the blades are not only replaceable, but can be changed orientation as I mentioned. This might be the tool of choice for this task now that I think of it.

The blade is about 3/16th’s thick and it is quite sharp as you want to be careful handling it. It’ll slice you open real fast.

One pic of each blade orientation below.

Interesting, the one I saw has square edges. The edges are facing the wrong direction to cut under silicone caulking like you would a razor blade, but I dunno, could work.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

According to the bottle, brush it on and let sit for 2hrs, then rub off with a rag.
    Have to thin down the thicker silicone first, though.
    I will take pic’s of before and after and post up my findings.

— Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

If my experience with that stuff is typical, it won’t be as easy as wipe off with a rag lol.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Okay, First off a BIG THANK YOU to @Boschmanbrian Brian for the recomendation of the DAP Product.
    Worked like a charm, I know how I’m spending this rainy Saturday 🙂 .

As soon as I came home from work, I dabbed the stuff on one side and let sit for 2hrs.

Sample of what I am dealing with…

Some of the tools I have tried….

Silicone-Be-Gone gooped on…

Used my homemade scraper and the old silicone pealed right off.

I didn’t have a rag handy but toilet paper was right at hand… Wiped up fairly easily, I’ll make sure to do a final wipe with acetone or alcohol.

What the remover looks like.

— Glenn Botting

@58Chev hey Frank , your welcome , glad to see you are happy with it.

I have that kit and it works great! I have used it several times, love it!

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I never knew that Dap product existed. Thanks for sharing and I will look for some. I usually can just get a loose spot and peel it right off.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.411 seconds