dcsimg

Best/Easiest way to remove Silicone Caulk

This topic contains 120 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 121 total)
  • Author

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Having to redo the caulk in a corner shower stall.

The caulk has been on there for about 8 years. Starting to show signs of mold and mildew in some areas. (GE Silicone II)

Easily pealed off where it is in contact with plastic/acrylic but the caulk that is on the metal framing is coming off in small bits and pieces. Pealing off maybe millimeters at a time.

Found a local supplier of Lexel haven’t called yet to find out the cost.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

An abrasive pad (fine) soaked in mineral spirits has always worked well for me.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Lexel is about $8 a tube, FYI. Home Depot carries it.

Resident Sign Guy

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’m guessing the OMT/Fein with the duller CAULKING attachment would scratch?

A Working Pro since 2004

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m guessing the OMT/Fein with the duller CAULKING attachment would scratch?

Against the acrylic surround, it probably would.

I’d suggest a razor blade style scraper and a steady hand.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

Yes, a razor blade scraper to get the bulk and maybe what Chad mentions to get the residue.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

great idea, the razor scraper is great!

Richards has a nice razor scraper you can use. This is very helpfull!

A Working Pro since 2004

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

razor blade, or snap blade knife

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

An abrasive pad (fine) soaked in mineral spirits has always worked well for me.

ThanX,
    I will give the abrasive pad and spirits a shot.

Lexel is about $8 a tube, FYI. Home Depot carries it.

I checked the Sashco website and they show only a few re-sellers in my area (Toronto, GTA, Ontario) and none of the box stores were listed.

Against the acrylic surround, it probably would.

I’d suggest a razor blade style scraper and a steady hand.

Yes, a razor blade scraper to get the bulk and maybe what Chad mentions to get the residue.

I did forget to mention that I do not want to scrape the paint off the metal frame. I did initially try an Exacto blade but noticed I was starting to remove the white paint.

— Glenn Botting

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I did a bathroom recaulking last Winter that I posted here but I need to find the pics and where I posted it. Can’t recall if I just used a razor or the Bosch OMT. I could of swore that I did use the OMT with the caulking blade….

*Most likely in a “what you did today” thread

A Working Pro since 2004

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Sometimes a moderately sharpened putty knife is safer to scrape with than a razor blade as it’s sharp enough to scrape but not so sharp it will shave off the finish. It’s less likely to dig in. I also round the corners a bit.

After removing most of the material I use a white scotch brite pad with alcohol. Even a white pad can dull acrylic so remove as much as possible before you start. Sometimes a natural bristle scrub brush is safer.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

razor blade, or snap blade knife

Yup a small thin one like this one. Cut it out.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

What about the super remover?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/paint-varnish-and-glue-remover-378-litre/915717

Product only available in Quebec stores?? What;s up with that?

Sometimes a moderately sharpened putty knife is safer to scrape with than a razor blade as it’s sharp enough to scrape but not so sharp it will shave off the finish. It’s less likely to dig in. I also round the corners a bit.

After removing most of the material I use a white scotch brite pad with alcohol. Even a white pad can dull acrylic so remove as much as possible before you start. Sometimes a natural bristle scrub brush is safer.

I will give the putty knife a shot, I did find that a scotch bright pad was starting to dull the surface and the run off was white. Kinda like lightly sanding the finish. ARGH…

Yup a small thin one like this one. Cut it out.

@dirtywhiteboy,
    Tried that but it was scraping the paint finish off the metal frame.

— Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

maybe slow peelings all you got unless you take the paint off too, cant you just repaint it afterwards? can’t remember but its just white no?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Razor knife for me too. I will have to give the abrasive pad soaked in mineral spirits a try some time. Thanks Chad.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@58chev hey Frank, like on members have mentioned, I used a razor blade scraper type, slow and steady, can’t be rushed, after using a methanol to clean up properly. I will find the name of a product I also used in the past, it works great, I will post it up later today.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@58chev, sorry Frank here it is, I usually buy it from BMR but they should have just at C T and Home Depot

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@58chev, sorry Frank here it is, I usually buy it from BMR but they should have just at C T and Home Depot

@boschmanbrian
    ThanX Brian, I will have to look for that at my local CTC or hardware store.

— Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I find razor blade too flexible, so I used a sharp wood chisel instead. But you have to be careful with the angle so you don’t gouge the surface.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.886 seconds