dcsimg

Best way to cut existing tile?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I also run into this once in a while. I too use a grinder with a diamond blade plus someone with a vac next to me. The additional dust collection shield may work in some cases but I do think it impedes visibility and it also add a little more to the overall width so your blade can’t get as close as if you had the blade guard totally removed. For the last two inches if it’s creamic tile an OMT with diamond blade might work, however if it’s 3/8″ rectified porcelain floor tiles I haven’t found a way to do it in place the OMT wouldn’t even make a dent. Would love to hear ideas on cutting porcelain tiles in place and in tight places.

marioo
    Pro

I’ve only cut existing tile one time, was widening the hole in the countertop for a stove insert.

I used a CHEAP skill saw with one of those super cheap abrasive masonry blades. I also did as another poster suggested and hooked up a shop vac and had a helper hold the nozzle right where the most dust was being created.

It was DUSTY.

I draped the work area with plastic tarps.

The above setup worked REALLY well in my particular case. I did not expect it to go so nicely, but it did… I did not crack even ONE tile.

Greetings!

Here some useful links which may help you with understanding the process and pick the proper gear:

Guide about tile cutting
    Ultimate guide cutting tile
    Best tile cutting saws

If you need any assistance or support with cutting tiles, feel free to ask in this thread or wisp me a PM!

Warm regards,
    Max

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Greetings!

Here some useful links which may help you with understanding the process and pick the proper gear:

Guide about tile cutting
    Ultimate guide cutting tile
    Best tile cutting saws

If you need any assistance or support with cutting tiles, feel free to ask in this thread or wisp me a PM!

Warm regards,
    Max

Welcome to BTP Max , go over to the introduce yourself thread and say hello
    Do you own any of those tile cutters

Ye I own DeWalt D24000S, Purchased this saw specifically for a home project that involved cutting 18×18 inch porcellain tiles – price was a major factor in the decision to purchase this particular. Initial setup and alignment are a breeze- just watch your fingers when folding the stand. While working with the saw, a few shortcomings became obvious – the table could be longer or use a back extension to fully support 18×18 in tiles placed diagoanally . The angle/rip guide is too short and has too much play when used in the 45-degree position; for large tiles, a longer and locking guide would be welcome. The water delivery system has it’s quirks – a valve instead of the pinch clamp would be nice to control volume better and the dual system often diverts water to mostly one spout or away from the blade. All in all, well worth the money I spent on it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Ye I own DeWalt D24000S, Purchased this saw specifically for a home project that involved cutting 18×18 inch porcellain tiles – price was a major factor in the decision to purchase this particular. Initial setup and alignment are a breeze- just watch your fingers when folding the stand. While working with the saw, a few shortcomings became obvious – the table could be longer or use a back extension to fully support 18×18 in tiles placed diagoanally . The angle/rip guide is too short and has too much play when used in the 45-degree position; for large tiles, a longer and locking guide would be welcome. The water delivery system has it’s quirks – a valve instead of the pinch clamp would be nice to control volume better and the dual system often diverts water to mostly one spout or away from the blade. All in all, well worth the money I spent on it.

You got any pics?? Pic or it never happened.. lol…

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow that’s a decent amount of money , is this just for the home projects ,or is it for your business ,
    Not sure what you do for work
    Looks like a decent saw.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.398 seconds