dcsimg

Best way to cut existing tile?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  marioo 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I also run into this once in a while. I too use a grinder with a diamond blade plus someone with a vac next to me. The additional dust collection shield may work in some cases but I do think it impedes visibility and it also add a little more to the overall width so your blade can’t get as close as if you had the blade guard totally removed. For the last two inches if it’s creamic tile an OMT with diamond blade might work, however if it’s 3/8″ rectified porcelain floor tiles I haven’t found a way to do it in place the OMT wouldn’t even make a dent. Would love to hear ideas on cutting porcelain tiles in place and in tight places.

marioo
    Pro

I’ve only cut existing tile one time, was widening the hole in the countertop for a stove insert.

I used a CHEAP skill saw with one of those super cheap abrasive masonry blades. I also did as another poster suggested and hooked up a shop vac and had a helper hold the nozzle right where the most dust was being created.

It was DUSTY.

I draped the work area with plastic tarps.

The above setup worked REALLY well in my particular case. I did not expect it to go so nicely, but it did… I did not crack even ONE tile.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.471 seconds