dcsimg

Best Trade Textbooks/Guides/Manuals

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Talking to @confusedguy14 in the intro section got me to thinking about this, and instead of clogging up that thread, I figured I’d start a new one for the topic. I know a lot of you guys here have favorites, and some have been through formal apprenticeship programs, so please chime in with your favorites.

Here’s some of mine:

General/Carpentry:
    Carpentry, Leonard Koel
    JLC Field Guide to Residential Construction
    Construction, Simmons and Olin
    Graphic Guide to Frame Construction, Rob Thallon
    Roof Framing, Marshall Gross
    JLC Guide to Decks and Porches

Masonry and Concrete:
    Masonry Skills, Richard Kreh
    Formwork, Leonard Koel
    Concrete Principles, Thomas Fahl

Electrical:
    Delmar’s Standard Textbook of Electricity
    Electrical Wiring, Residential, Ray Mullin
    Soares Book on Grounding and Bonding

Plumbing:
    Plumbing Design and Installation, L.V.Ripka
    Plunbing 101,201,301,and 401, Delmar Cengage Learning Center

Tile:
    Tiling for Contractors, Michael Byrne

History:
    World History of Architecture, Fazio, Moffett, Wodehouse
    Sir Banister Fletcher’s World History of Architecture
    The Great Builders
    Building: 3000 Years of Design Engineering and Construction, Bill Addis

I could go on and on. I have some interesting books on composting toilets, masonry heaters, greywater systems, timber framing, etc. etc.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have to add one of my favorites,,,,,,,,,,,
    A Roof Cutter’s Secrets to Framing the Custom Home.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Forgot about that one, Dirty.

I’ve wanted it, just forgot about it.

Delta

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I also like anything from Larry Haun, old school but that’s where it all started.
    He has a lot of videos on you-tube and books.
    The Very Efficient Carpenter: Basic Framing for Residential Construction (For Pros / By Pros) is the best one I know of.
    He really stress production systems.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have found the JLC Field guid and the current edition of the code book the most helpful.

I also like anything from Larry Haun, old school but that’s where it all started.
    He has a lot of videos on you-tube and books.
    The Very Efficient Carpenter: Basic Framing for Residential Construction (For Pros / By Pros) is the best one I know of.
    He really stress production systems.

Larry is (was..) THE MAN. I have learned so much from him.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

For woodworking, design, scale, and their relationships, Jim Tolpin’s By Hand and Eye and it’s companion workbook By Hound and Eye. They really bring an understanding of classical concepts to the fore.

The Essential Woodworker by Robert Wearing is a nice introduction to the craft.

The Joiner and the Cabinet Maker is taken from a short book published in 1839 and adapted by Chris Schwarz. A great read. Actually, just about anything by Schwarz and The Lost Art Press is pretty good.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

This thread is a great idea for beginner or seasoned pro. I have found a couple of books I need to get already.

I mentioned in the intro thread Jim Tolpin’s “Measure twice, cut once”. It’s a valuable reference for both tools and design information.I find I go back to it regularly when I am at the concept stage of a project. Worth mentioning again in this thread.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

Good thread idea. Bought my share of crappy how-to books over the years.

I came to learn that many how-to books are like cookbooks. Too many glossy ‘pictures’ versus actual illustrations usually means the book is crap. A rule I should also start adopting towards how-to books, if the ‘recipes’ don’t actually work and you followed the instructions, toss the book.

I do have some good ones. I should go thru my library and cite some later when I have time.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Another thing to remember is, there is a big difference in how-to books geared for a DIY’er to get a certain job done, and a textbook that is used to train the next generation of tradesmen.

I think the For Pro’s series from Taunton falls somewhere in between. There aren’t really bad books, but they are definitely not trade textbooks.

Almost all the books I’ve listed so far, aside from the history books, are used in formal apprenticeship programs.

Delta

Doobie

Another thing to remember is, there is a big difference in how-to books geared for a DIY’er to get a certain job done, and a textbook that is used to train the next generation of tradesmen.

Big time. And that’s why I will be following this thread and looking into some of the books listed. Most DIY books bought at BB stores or on Amazon are lousy. They cut too many corners and too often I have also found that they are not written for my climate/region.

I think the For Pro’s series from Taunton falls somewhere in between. There aren’t really bad books, but they are definitely not trade textbooks.

Definitely hit and miss on those imo.

Almost all the books I’ve listed so far, aside from the history books, are used in formal apprenticeship programs.

That’s what I’m interested in, but they are hard to find or know which ones are useful to me, even as a DIYer.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Here are a couple of resources that I have found very useful.

Usually you can find their books cheaper on Amazon and such, but it’s good to be able to search a Technical Publishers website first.

American Technical Publishers:

http://www.atplearning.com/Default.aspx

McGraw-Hill’s Construction and Engineering section:

https://www.mhprofessional.com/subject.php?subject=engineering

John Wiley and Sons Architectural section. Books are mainly on design and planning.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-350003.html

Cengage Learning Center. One of my favorites. Lots of electrical books here.

http://www.cengage.com/search/showresults.do?N=16+4294922323+4294966684

I hope this doesn’t violate the forums rules on posting outside links. I’m just trying to assist some folks. I have no commercial or personal interest in any of the above websites or companies.

Delta

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The CFR 1926 is a useful guide to the Code of Federal Reglations. I don’t study it enough but it’s all in there what can and can not be done on the jobsite as far as safety goes.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have to add one of my favorites,,,,,,,,,,,
    A Roof Cutter’s Secrets to Framing the Custom Home.

That looks like an interesting one. Not that I do much framing, and even less roofing, but figuring out compound angles just bends my mind sometimes. I like to concentrate on, and study things I have trouble with.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What about educational links? Can we post em up or just books??

@Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Doobie

@seven-delta-fortyone

Good point. I have to imagine that sponsor Construct-Ed is a good resource. I checked out a few things of theirs after registering and meant to go back, but I’m just too busy. I liked what I saw in the areas that interested me.

https://www.construct-ed.com

For us Canadians, CHMC is not just about mortgage insurance, they also offer excellent resources for free that help with house maintenance and construction.

Long before it was available online for free, I bought a hard copy of their housing construction guide, which I still reach for over other ‘expert’ books. It’s a great resource for solid info that doesn’t get too technical for the more advanced DIYer.

https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/catalog/productList.cfm?lang=en&cat=178&fr=1472761576669

I need to read the one on insulating a basement sometime between noa and winter myself. I recall looking it over a few years ago and saying to myself that I need to really read thru it when I’m ready to properly redo/insulate my basement.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Not a training or textbook…

Practical Electrical Wiring by Richter/Schwan

Pretty much the NEC explained in somewhat easier to understand writing.
    I have an older edition, but there have been new ones every few years

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

@seven-delta-fortyone

Fine by me, Dirty.

I won’t be as much help in that department, though! 😆

Delta

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@seven-delta-fortyone

Fine by me, Dirty.

I won’t be as much help in that department, though! 😆

Delta

This is HardCore building stuff by I guy I have the highest level of respect for Sim Ayers , he’s right there with Birch.
    http://www.sbebuilders.com/tools/
    http://www.raftertools.com/
    http://sbebuilders.blogspot.com/

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

If we could expand a little here, Fine Homebuilding magazine has been a valuable tool for both keeping up with trends and new developments as well as good advice on everyday issues by informed professionals.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.283 seconds