dcsimg

Best Thickness Planer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I couldn’t see any discussion on this in the recent past on here. I’m starting to do more and more woodworking and have been using my router table as a makeshift jointer, but I really and finding I need to get a thickness planer. I am not running anything huge through it, mostly small projects. I am also looking for something inexpensive. What would you guys recommend?

The new DeWalt looks nice, but it’s about $500, Ridgid and Makita are all the same. I see the General International is Helical head and only $650. I wonder though, what are your opinions on buying a used thickness planer? If I can find an old Delta for $200 would I be better off spending money there? I would kind of prefer to spend my money on the tools I use the most, here it seems like there is no substitute for this tool so I need it even though I wouldn’t use it every day.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the new Dewalt and have had good luck with it. It has a lot more features than you will find on the older Delta. It is more expensive but I think you will grow into it , instead of wishing you had not spent the 200 bucks on a cheap make do planer.
    As fer as the Delta’s go, my father has had one for probably 20 years and. It is still kicking. He has run several thousand board feet through it.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I have an older Delta too. Never had any problems with it and I also ran a lot of lumber thru it

redwood
    Pro

I have this DeWalt planer. I run ipe through it with no problem, as long as the blades are sharp.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Attachments:
    Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Is IPE inconsistent in thickness?

redwood
    Pro

Is IPE inconsistent in thickness?

Yes, as much as any other natural wood. I would use the planer for special dimensions.

Where I have used mine the most is for reclaiming old decking that we have removed.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

The only thickness planer I have used besides my Dad’s old Rockwell is the DeWalt. It is a nice planer and, unlike that old Rockwell, doesn’t take 5 guys to move it.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I think that the DeWalt, Ridgid and Makita all score good. With the new helical heads you can get a great finish and reduce your overall cost of ownership with fewer blade changes. I had a DeWalt similar to Mark’s and it worked great, but the blades did not last that long. These machines are load, which is the biggest drawback. If you do not do a lot of planing, then you could also build a sled for your router and use it to surface material. This would not be as fast as a planer, but certainly would work for smaller projects.

Orange County, CA

I have the new Dewalt and have had good luck with it. It has a lot more features than you will find on the older Delta. It is more expensive but I think you will grow into it , instead of wishing you had not spent the 200 bucks on a cheap make do planer.

I also have the newer Dewalt and it does a good job but can snipe the board at the end of the run depending on the length of the board so allow a few extra inches on the length. They even have a helical head retrofit for it. Maybe someday when the blades need changing I will consider that. What I like is the 2 cutter head settings, rough cuts and finish cuts.

I have no personal experience with it, but I have also heard pretty good things about the Steel City planer – http://www.amazon.com/Steel-City-Tool-Works-40100/dp/B0055NKCGO and it is somewhat less expensive than the other options. It might be your golden ticket…

John S

redwood
    Pro

Before the DeWalt, I had a smaller Ryobi planer, that actually worked fine for my uses.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

That Steel City planer I noticed you can get setup with Helical new for $499 US, that’s a pretty good deal. It sounds like for my time it’s probably better to get something new, rather than risk buying something used for only a little less that has the risk of having issues I can’t spot right away. That new DeWalt seems to have really good reviews too..

It sounds like for my time it’s probably better to get something new, rather than risk buying something used for only a little less that has the risk of having issues I can’t spot right away.

Chances are when you buy something used the blades will need to be replaced. Factoring that in, unless you get a super buy used, I think you will be better off new. That Steel City deal sounds great.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Lon, I made a table for the planer with about 4′ of outfeed support built into it. It helps a lot with reducing the snipe and makes things a lot easier for one person. I really loke the 2 speed option for finish planing.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Has anyone used a planer that they hate? It seems like the Dewalt is really solid for the price and size but I have not heard any real negative reviews on other planers.

Lon, I made a table for the planer with about 4′ of outfeed support built into it. It helps a lot with reducing the snipe and makes things a lot easier for one person.

I bought the infeed and outfeed tables that DeWalt has as an add-on. I figured further support was needed to avoid the snipe. Thanks for confirming it.

FB_Splinter
    Pro
    Racine, WI

Right on Mark. I too have a Dewalt but the other version with the 4 machined posts. I like the two speed cutting action for cutting hard wood and soft. The disposable blades are great because there is no re-sharpening and blade changing is easy. I too have the in-feed and out-feed tables.

Frank

I have this DeWalt planer. I run ipe through it with no problem, as long as the blades are sharp.

I have used the same one, and it is nice. You can still get it.

Depending on what your purpose for it is for, personally I would be checking craigslist. You can get a kick ass heavy duty planer for $500, and I’m not talking a portable planer. You will absolutely notice a huge difference with a cast iron planer. If you are looking for portable though, the dewalt is good enough.

Thatkid
    Pro

I had the ridged planer and it was nice but then I upgraded to a heavy duty cast iron parks 12 in planer and when I have it all set up I think I will like it. Or I may put the parks up for sale and buy a 15 in delta planer. I still have to add 220 to my shop

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I keep thinking of getting one but then ask myself “do I need one” so far it’s been a no but that might change soon enough lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.235 seconds