dcsimg

best bits for drilling through 1/2 inch steel beam?

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Clev08
    Pro

I think as long as you use a pilot hole and cutting fluid you should be ok

I’m with this guy, Cutting fluid and a sharp bit make for easy cutting. Milwaukee just released some new Red Helix cobalt drill bits that are supposed to stay sharp longer. They are on my list of things to buy!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Milwaukee just released some new Red Helix cobalt drill bits that are supposed to stay sharp longer.

Interesting new bits from Milwaukee. Let us know how you like them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Milwaukee just released some new Red Helix cobalt drill bits that are supposed to stay sharp longer.

The only Milwaukee bits I ever liked are the wood bits. It will be interesting to see how these new ones perform.

Apart from this metal beam which is the best one to drill the metal steel.

Steel Fabrication Dubai

A rotabroach (mag drill) is the best option for drilling beams

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

@welder75 thanks for the advice, Looks like you are new here why dont you introduce yourself here

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourself-v3-0/

and the rules are here

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/the-rules-of-bethepro-please-read-before-posting/

welcome

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

A rotabroach (mag drill) is the best option for drilling beams

haha that would be a great tool to have, too bad I wouldn’t use it all that much.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had to drill some 1/2″ plates today, I was drilling 3/4″ holes. I bought a couple of Irwin bits because that was what was available at the store. the first bit drilled 12 holes but did not seem like it was very sharp out of the package. the second bit did well or at least much better. We were able to get all 24 holes drilled at least.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I had to drill some 1/2″ plates today, I was drilling 3/4″ holes. I bought a couple of Irwin bits because that was what was available at the store. the first bit drilled 12 holes but did not seem like it was very sharp out of the package. the second bit did well or at least much better. We were able to get all 24 holes drilled at least.

did you use any cutting oil? I am amazed at how much better you can drill a hole with cutting oil.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

did you use any cutting oil? I am amazed at how much better you can drill a hole with cutting oil.

Essential when drilling metal especially thick metal to use cutting oil both as a lubricant and cooling medium.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I use cutting oil when i drill through metal but i have been trying to find drill coolant that i can recirculate when i am using my lathe and my drill.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I don’t know the brand, but there are some amazing bits out there. I have three 3/16″ bits i bought at a garage sale with a bunch of other random bits. I had some hard steel to drill, every regualr bit i had wouldn’t touch it, just made a shiny spot. These old bits drilled through like it was mild steel, i wish i knew what they were so i could buy a set, they’re shorter than a normal bit, no special coating. I use an aerosol cutting oil that foams, hangs on better than anything else i’ve used. Use a slow speed and plenty of pressure so the bit cuts, a continuous curly ribbon coming off the bit is ideal. For any holes 1/2″ or bigger, i use a torch, can get pretty accurate with a bit of practuce, and can cut 10 holes in the the it takes to drill one. Wish i had a name for you for those old garage sale bits, never used anything like them!

teskopk
    Pro
    Calgary, AB

The most important aspect of a drill is the steel used, and it’s proper heat treatment, followed closely by the point geometry. It’s critical to be using the correct point angle for the type of material of your workpiece. For jobber drills I’ll use Cleveland or Morse brands. Guhring makes some very good products, but at a premium cost.

I use cutting oil when i drill through metal but i have been trying to find drill coolant that i can recirculate when i am using my lathe and my drill.

What kind of materials are you cutting? Got specs or pics of your lathe and drill?

I have fair knowledge of cutting fluids, gone through 4 different major brands in my shop over the years.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

these are the bits that I’ve been using.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Clev08
    Pro

I did get a Milwaukee cobalt bit for adding D-rings to a motorcycle trailer, and with the use of cutting fluid worked really well and didn’t walk when I started the hole.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ll use Cleveland or Morse brands.

Both excellent choices for the steel. I prefer the Morse though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.500 seconds