dcsimg

best bits for drilling through 1/2 inch steel beam?

This topic contains 75 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Author

slow and steady, with plenty of oil.

Thanks for the info. I’ve always been running the bits fast. Just got a set of cobalts and I’ll slow it down and use oil in the future.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Most guys use too high a speed when drilling and instead of drilling they burn the hole through even in wood. That smoke you see coming off your bit is not good, means the tip is overheated and losing its edge. In metal you need oil, WD-40 or something. It acts as much like a coolant as a lubricant.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Most guys use too high a speed when drilling and instead of drilling they burn the hole through even in wood. That smoke you see coming off your bit is not good, means the tip is overheated and losing its edge. In metal you need oil, WD-40 or something. It acts as much like a coolant as a lubricant.

I was trying to drill some stainless. Not a thick piece but I burnt a bit. Actual tip turned black. Now I use oil but didn’t expect that to happen.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Recently I on a project that I need to drill 7/32″ drill bit. Besides that, the drill bit has to be 12″ long as we need to drill it through floor sip.

Could anyone give me a suggestion which drill bit should I get ?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Recently I on a project that I need to drill 7/32″ drill bit. Besides that, the drill bit has to be 12″ long as we need to drill it through floor sip.

The aircraft industry uses bits like that. Here is an example:

http://drillsandcutters.com/7-32-x-12-hss-aircraft-extension-drill-bit-drill-america/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0LmoBRDHuo7UkaKXhn8SJADmDTG0-HBrFtGEuDDWGmdDE-MwiAKgpWL7cMFLz3zJqt7v_RoCpfbw_wcB

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

The aircraft industry uses bits like that. Here is an example:

http://drillsandcutters.com/7-32-x-12-hss-aircraft-extension-drill-bit-drill-america/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0LmoBRDHuo7UkaKXhn8SJADmDTG0-HBrFtGEuDDWGmdDE-MwiAKgpWL7cMFLz3zJqt7v_RoCpfbw_wcB

Thanks for the link. Actually I paid $10 for this drill bit and it only lasted me for 30 holes before it broke.

I am looking for a drill bit that better than this one

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I still love the norseman bits, very nice quality. I’m not sure if they make a 12 inch bit though

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

@kswiss.

I will give it a shot as they listed on catalog that 12 inches of drill bit is available

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

That’s an awesome chart thanks for sharing

sergey061478
    Blocked

cobalt drill bits, slow speed and cutting oil will do the trick

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

@sprokitz Thanks for the useful chart

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I try to always use cutting oil I have a little tub of it that I keep in one of my tool boxes. It makes your bits last.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Great chart! Printing one to go by the drill press and one to go in the toolbox.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks for the link. Actually I paid $10 for this drill bit and it only lasted me for 30 holes before it broke.

The key here is as has been said,,, Slow and oily so the bit is cutting and not spinning and getting too hot. It’s the heat the dulls the tip. Once the tip is dull the bit heats up and snaps. I’m really good at snapping bits.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I prefer HSS bits, when they dull you just sharpen them up again. Also cutting fluid will help or if you can and this is with a drill press, make a pump for coolant.

sergey061478
    Blocked

thanks for the chart! this is definitely a very helpful reference.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

The key here is as has been said,,, Slow and oily so the bit is cutting and not spinning and getting too hot. It’s the heat the dulls the tip. Once the tip is dull the bit heats up and snaps. I’m really good at snapping bits.

Any tips on sharpening the dull drill bit ?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use a Drill Doctor. I like it. I get a bunch of broken bits saved up, break out the Drill Doctor set it all up and go to town. It works. Not quite as easy as they make it seem but it gives you a nice accurate point.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I use a Drill Doctor. I like it. I get a bunch of broken bits saved up, break out the Drill Doctor set it all up and go to town. It works. Not quite as easy as they make it seem but it gives you a nice accurate point.

Do you sharpen to 135?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.126 seconds