dcsimg

best bits for drilling through 1/2 inch steel beam?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I’ve heard good things about the Norseman bits. I was just wondering if I should be using cobalt or titanium or maybe something else? Bosch bits?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I have never been impressed with cobalt vs titanium vs black oxide.

I’ve bought the big value packs of titanium bits from Canadian tire when they go on sale and I am pretty happy with them. These go on sale for less then half price, and is a good value

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-230-piece-titanium-coated-drill-bit-set-0543692p.html

I have been really happy with the all the bosch bits I have as well.

The big thing is to use cutting fluid when you can.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

The best ‘should’ be cobalt, although a lot of the pros run a lot of high quality HSS… Slow speed and oil.. keep it cool

A drill doctor can work really well to re sharpen good bits

--Steve

staker
    Pro

I think as long as you use a pilot hole and cutting fluid you should be ok

Do you have a particular brand you recommend? Or does it not really matter as long as you use something?

John S

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

We use ridgid nu-clear cutting oil where I work. I should have mentioned holes will only be about 7/32

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve heard good things about the Norseman bits. I was just wondering if I should be using cobalt or titanium or maybe something else? Bosch bits?

There’s nothing wrong with Norseman bits. I’m not sure they are worth the extra expense over more readily available brands.

Depending upon How Many holes you are drilling, almost any bit would do the job…especially if you are just going to throw it out afterwards. I would use a 3 in 1 oil or something similar to keep the bit cool and drill a pilot hole wih a 3/16″ bit. HSS would be my choice. I’ve never had any luck with Cobalt/Titanium.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We use ridgid nu-clear cutting oil where I work. I should have mentioned holes will only be about 7/32

I misread your first post and title.. It thought you were drilling 1/2″ holes!

Either way, they process is the same. Slow speed, oil and pilot hole.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Do you have a particular brand you recommend? Or does it not really matter as long as you use something?

I always use Rapid Tap, but anything is better then nothing. I know lots of guys that use old transmission fluid.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the thread, a lot for me to learn here!I remember drilling holes in lintels and just switching bits when they burnt out lol.

A Working Pro since 2004

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

For a 7/32 hole you should not need a pilot. I tend not to drill pilot holes, as unless you have a continuous flow of cutting fluid, all of the fluid drains right out of your hole and the outer edge of the bits tend to burn. I regularly drill up to 9/16 holes with just the 9/16 bit. for cutting fluid I use waste motor oil. It is basically free and without a continuous flow or recirculation pump, I see no need for a dedicated cutting oil. The main thing you need is something to keep the bit cool, which that does just fine.

For Bits I typically use a Dewalt, Hitachi or Irwin for the sole reason that they are the easiest to find in town.

Anonymous
    Inactive

7/32″ hole through 1/2″ steel doesn’t sound too terribly tough, depending on how accurate the holes need to be I might still use a pilot hole like an 1/8″ or so. But be careful with such a tiny bit, Any oil will be fine. Just keep the bit AND material cool. If the bit is dull and ya get the material hot you’ll be in a world of hassle, It’ll heat treat it and make it super hard to drill through. I’ve even used water in a pinch

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

About 150 holes in total so I want the best bits I can get

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would try an industrial supply or Fastenall. Way back I worked in a factory over Christmas break and they had the best bits I have ever used that they got from their supply house. Better than anything you will get at a hardware store, HD, Lowes or Menards, even the name brand stuff.

I like to use a punch for starting holes in steel. It creates enough of a spot for the bit to stay put and not walk. Saves time vs. drilling two holes.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I like using a punch too. I ended up getting a few Milwaukee cobalt bits and they go through the steel very fast no problem.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

slow and steady, with plenty of oil.

Cobalt is one the best one for drilling 1/2 inch steel beam. On reading these I got very clear idea thanks for sharing.

Stainless steel tube

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I like the Norseman bit set that I got. They seem to go through anything.

Great advice on the cutting oil. Never would have thought of that with almost all my drilling in wood.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.466 seconds