dcsimg

Best bang for the buck SDS Drill?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 month ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

So any of you guys and gals who work around rocks, what is the best bang for the buck SDS drill, both corded and cordless? Any idea how many 3/8″ x 16″ holes a cordless one would do in rock like granite?

Also, as a bonus question…. anyone know of a cordless that works underwater? I know of the Nemo, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good ones.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

If you want to drill holes that deep with a cordless you’ll need a big drill with lots of batteries. Check out the Milwaukee fuel sds max.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2717-21hd

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Another big sds is the RH328VC-36K
    36V 1-1/8 In. SDS-plus® Bulldog™ Rotary Hammer
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-rotary-hammers-rh328vc-36k-121043-p/

Tools plus have them at a good price.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have always had good luck with all of the Bosch Hammer drills. Even with the newer batteries, you will be limited with a 3/8 x 16″ hole, especially in a material as hard as granite. I would look at the 36 volt at a minimum but I would bet your best bet would be corded for drilling speed and production.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Also, as a bonus question…. anyone know of a cordless that works underwater? I know of the Nemo, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other good ones.

You actually need to use it underwater? I never even knew such a tool existed but apparently so. Here’s a brand I quickly found…

http://www.spitznas.de/en/products/drills/hammer-drills/sds-plus.html

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

What battery line are you currently using? I would start there…

Otherwise, buy a Bosch. As far as the best bang for the buck goes, its Bosch IMO. Sure there may be better out there, but they cost a heck of a lot more!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Bosch has been known for their rotatory hammers for over 30 years but not for under water.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

Definitely the place to start, though cordless may not be the answer for that situation. Corded – Bosch or Hilti, but that’s pretty obvious.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Otherwise, buy a Bosch. As far as the best bang for the buck goes, its Bosch

Otherwise, buy a Bosch. As far as the best bang for the buck goes, its Bosch

This is no exageration either. I read somewhere some years ago that Bosch is the largest concrete tool and concrete accessory manufacturer in the world.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Definitely the place to start, though cordless may not be the answer for that situation. Corded – Bosch or Hilti, but that’s pretty obvious.

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with hilti, definitely a solid choice

Clev08
    Pro

For underwater drilling I’m guessing you won’t find an cordless underwater model. That’s a very specific tool that companies probably wouldn’t try to make a water proof battery specifically for one tool. You’ll probably have to go pneumatic or hydraulic like Doobie mentioned.

Actually there is a cordless underwater drill out called a NEMO. It’s a bit pricey, but since it is designed for underwater….. Thanks for all the advice. A few years ago, I bought a used Hilti cordless but the battery was bad, so (for a nominal fee) I bought another used battery that was supposed to be good and it was bad too. Waste of $200. I was thinking of trying to figure out a way to create a larger 36v battery pack that I could carry to the job (like the size of a 6 pack) and somehow run wires up to the drill, so I could somehow get hours, rather than minutes out of it. But I am not electrically inclined, and my friend who said he’d help me with that, never did, so I guess it is still sitting on his workbench. I was hoping someone had-now- come out with an SDS which could drill through granite for hours… guess not, eh?

Clev08
    Pro

As of now you’re not going to find a cordless that can run for hours on one battery. 20-30 miutes would be a best case scenario.

Hi gang…. back again… I reviewed all the drills mentioned, and I wanted to add another feature I need…. So, let me rephrase the question… I will be drilling rocks 14″ deep with a 3/8″ SDS bit, so what is the LIGHTEST and best cordless drill to accomplish this as I will be packing the drill in on my back. I would expect that I wouldn’t drill more than 15 holes a day. Milwaukee makes a 1/2″ drive 12v Fuel, which is really light, but I am afraid that it wouldn’t like drilling those deep holes. Chances are most likely that I would possibly drill 3 sets of holes at the max at one time, and then the drill would most likely sit for an hour or so.

When reviewing all the drills on youtube, the reviewers were only drilling 2″ holes in concrete. Not really an apples to apples comparison when dealing with granite.

I don’t need the chipping feature, but it would be nice.

I liked the idea that the Dewalt 20v Max XR came with a 90 day money back guarantee, along with the fact that it appeared to be one of the cheapest.

Any guidance would be appreciated for lightest/best tool for this job.

So an update….. After a lot of hmmming and hawing, I chose the Ridgid 18V SDS drill. I liked the fact that it came with a 90day money back guarantee and lifetime repairs. I took it out and was very impressed with it’s performance. So far, I have drilled up to 5 18″ x 3/8″ diameter holes in granite and still had 4 out of 5 bars on the battery charge left. Drills nicely, relatively quiet, light weight and apparently drills a bunch of holes in granite. So far, so good. I am a happy camper!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So an update….. After a lot of hmmming and hawing, I chose the Ridgid 18V SDS drill. I liked the fact that it came with a 90day money back guarantee and lifetime repairs. I took it out and was very impressed with it’s performance. So far, I have drilled up to 5 18″ x 3/8″ diameter holes in granite and still had 4 out of 5 bars on the battery charge left. Drills nicely, relatively quiet, light weight and apparently drills a bunch of holes in granite. So far, so good. I am a happy camper!

I have to say…i’m quite surprised that a cordless SDS can accomplish that task!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice to hear you found the Ridgid works good. Ridgid seems to have a firm grip on 4th place on the 18volt tool line for a good reason.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

After a lot of hmmming and hawing, I chose the Ridgid 18V SDS drill. I liked the fact that it came with a 90day money back guarantee and lifetime repairs.

That and the price is almost always less than the Blue, Red, or Yellow tools out there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.192 seconds