dcsimg

Benchtop Drill Press

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 219 total)
  • Author

I am with Scot I think… He convinced me of the value in the DJ2… I just don’t think there are many ‘awesome’ bench top models, but I could be way wrong

I can totally understand where you are coming from, but using a step bit, I have to have the press. If I was only drilling holes of one size that would have been different. A company I work with doesn’t use a press, and every time I try to mount their product, the screws go in at angles because their holes don’t line up. This in turn can throw off how the rails are positioned, making things a total pain in the, well.

Makes sense…not sure how long the shaft is, but the jig is designed to work with large bits like forstner bits too since the shaft goes through the bushing. Of course this might not work for your application or be possible but something I thought I would mention.

It would depend on the height of the bushing. I would think that it would have to be at least 3/4″ high for the drill bit to enter correctly I would think. Unless I drill the 1/4″ hole, and then switch bushings to 1/2″, and continue with a stop collar on the bit? Then I would have to repeat that process 6 or more times depending on how much rail I need to drill. The one’s I use are a lot like the Kreg bits for pocket holes.

The bushing is small and fits in the housing of the jig and is screwed in. You then position the jig where you want and can use the jaws to secure the material.

Orange County, CA

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight drill press. I know it sounds un-american of me to want to get Harbor Freight anything but for $55 its seems to me that it will make vertical holes?

I do not and some folks find good buys there, but my experience has been that you typically get what you pay for – sure something might not be that expensive, but is it worth it if you fight the machine every day?

Orange County, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve seen them in there and they look like the average cheapie drill press that anyone else sells. For light weight wood working they might be ok. But I would probably look for something heavier duty for my needs.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I don’t have one yet, but I’ve always wanted to get one with lower speeds as well so I could drill aluminum, etc. the occasional time I needed to. Do those of you with benchtop drill presses find you use them as much as you thought you would? I see so many on Kijiji I wonder if they’re maybe something I wouldn’t get as much use out of as I think I would.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’ve used a bench top drill press for over 30 years. Never a problem. It is all in the layout.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I used to use one a lot, but other tools work better for my application. Adding a larger table helps tremendously with more accurate drilling as the little tables that come standard are not as useful.

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

but other tools work better for my application.

Scot that Bridge City drill jig will replace the drill press for almost all tasks?

In my work, yes…as long as you can clamp the jaws or the jig to the surface you want to drill it should do the trick.

Orange County, CA

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Scot, I understand about the bushing sand the jig, the clamping jaws etc. What I was trying to say is that I was wondering how high the bushing is. Would it be enough to guide a 1/2″ to 1/4″ step bit into an off center aluminum rail? I’ll probably get one down the road, but will take some time.

Jason, I know someone that has a floor model Chicago Electric, and it works fine for making holes. I don’t know the accuracy or anything, but it’s been used for years without problems. Like others mentioned, sometimes you find deals. I didn’t like the way the Harbor Freight presses felt when playing with them, and that was why I picked up the Skill. I like it better. The skill has a couple of speeds, that have to be changed by moving the belt. So if you want something with some kind of dial/switch to change speeds, it’s probably not what you want.

woodman_412

I used to use one a lot, but other tools work better for my application. Adding a larger table helps tremendously with more accurate drilling as the little tables that come standard are not as useful.

You’re right about the table size Scot. A good drill press table with T track in it and some bells and whistles is on my list of shop projects. Right now I just have a piece of melamine that serves as a temporary table surface and it works much better than just the metal table alone. There are some great designs out there for drill press tables for sure.

Dan

danpattison.com

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Scot that Bridge City drill jig will replace the drill press for almost all tasks?

For $400 I could just get the most BA benchtop press out there.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I also don’t think that you want to wait until they start making them again either.

I also don’t think that you want to wait until they start making them again either.

Except this is more versatile for certain things — shelf pin holes for one or drilling the center of long stock that cannot fit the drill press. Also, not limited to the width of stick — I can drill anywhere I want to place the jig verses the throat depth of a drill press.

Orange County, CA

Anyone here have any experience with the HF drill presses? They get pretty decent review online and seem like they might be a good starter option for an affordable bench top drill press

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

John, for woodwork or metal work? I think that most budget drill presses are OK, I had a cheaper Clarke for years and it served me well.

A couple things:

Check the run out before you bring it home if you can. The less the better but some of them can be wild (1/16 of an inch)

Make sure the speeds match what you want to do. Check your bits, materials etc. If you are just going for the odd hobby/shop item it most likely won’t matter. If you want to drill 3/8″ holes in Stainless you better be able to go SLOOOOOW.

Table needs to be flat and square, but not big IMO. You can always make and add on table. Check that too with a machinist square in store if you can.

buying a cheaper piece of equipment and throwing a GOOD v drive belt on it can reduce the vibration in a lot of cases, if it’s an issue.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Good tips, Brad. I have used cheap and expensive presses and as long as they run true with no runout, they are good for most uses. An inaccurate press quickly becomes an exercise in frustration.

Orange County, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think for JohnS a HF bench top drill press would be fine

staker
    Pro

Look on craigs list for a old solid cast iron drill press, change the bearing $30 better than anything new

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Look on craigs list for a old solid cast iron drill press, change the bearing $30 better than anything new

There’s truth in this. As long as the spindle isn’t bent (lots are by applying to much pressure on the wheel) an old drill will often out perform a new one.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.624 seconds