dcsimg

Benchtop Drill Press

Viewing 19 posts - 201 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I bought a “cheap” drill press in the early 80s long before HF. It was from some surplus tool company. It has served me well for 35+ years. Works great.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Has anyone bought any of the really, really cheap benchtop drill press models with any sort of success? Ryobi, Wen, etc

I have the Skil benchtop model and I’m pleased with it. Does exactly what I need it to do.

It looks like this:

That looks like a real nice unit @svenshutters. I see pricing is very reasonable for that. As you say, it does what you need it to do. Beats spending a lot more for a full-sized one.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Has anyone bought any of the really, really cheap benchtop drill press models with any sort of success? Ryobi, Wen, etc

I have the Skil benchtop model and I’m pleased with it. Does exactly what I need it to do.

It looks like this:

The only thing you have to watch for is them yellow key switches .If they fall out they can easily get tossed in the garbage and then good luck trying to start the drill 🙂

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I didn’t know that about the little yellow key John. That’s good to know.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

staker
    Pro

If that happens you can always wire in a new switch.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

If that happens you can always wire in a new switch.

Screwdriver. I don’t know, I never have the need to remove the yellow safety thingy.

That looks like a real nice unit @svenshutters. I see pricing is very reasonable for that. As you say, it does what you need it to do. Beats spending a lot more for a full-sized one.

The laser on it is a nice little addition as well. It works well and I find it easy to see in my shop setting. I don’t even need to put my glasses on.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I bought a benchtop Ryobi a number of years ago.

Is it a older one that was built here in the USA or in Japan? Before TTI bought the export side of the tools.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks like this:

Some of the older tools like that were made by good companies like Delta.

rladyfr
    Pro

I definitely prefer Ryobi drill press. I have used other brands as well. But Ryobi seems to be better than other brands.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I definitely prefer Ryobi drill press. I have used other brands as well. But Ryobi seems to be better than other brands.

Hi there. Welcome to BTP.

Go over Introduce Yourself thread and tell us alittle about yourself.https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourself-v4-0/page/42/#post-754781

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have an old delta benchtop and a newer Porter cable. Both work well We use them when we do Basketball hoop installs on site. Over time we have discovered at times we need to refabricate parts or fabricate new parts. The first time we had to do it with cordless drills and it was very slow. Using a small drill press speeds things up a lot and saves on bits also. It seems that the unsteady hand and a bit wobbling a little dulls them faster. The rigid support of a drill press does not let that happen.

Many times we also take a Mag drill with us. It is a lot easier on the arm and Does a great job of getting in places where a drill press cannot go.

I have to fabricate some tubes for a job in the next week or two and the mag drill will get a work out with that.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have to fabricate some tubes

How do you clamp the tubes?
    Always a problem with round stock.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Actually I am using 2″ x 6″ tubes, not round ones for this project. The mag drill should sit well on them.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Actually I am using 2″ x 6″ tubes, not round ones for this project. The mag drill should sit well on them.

Got it!
    What brand the mag drill?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Got it!

What brand the mag drill?

I have a Milwaukee corded 2″ drill. It looked like one of the better ones I could find when I was looking for one. I have used it a fair bit on projects. It comes in handy when having to drill holes in steel up on a scissors lift to mount something. It is heavy however. you really need to be prepared when you turn the battery off and it releases from the steel, especially if you are working at arms length, because you cannot get right under something.

I have a cutter set for larger holes, but mostly use standard twist drill bits as most of the holes we need are a little smaller.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It looks like this:

Some of the older tools like that were made by good companies like Delta.

I have this same drill press. I bought close to 10 years ago on sale a Canadian Tire here in Canada. It works good and has done a good job for me.I have thought about buying a vintage bench top drill press. I have yet to find one for a reasonable price.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have the Skil model benchtop DP. It’s not a tool I use a lot, but it certainly does OK when I do use it.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have the Skil model benchtop DP. It’s not a tool I use a lot, but it certainly does OK when I do use it.

Yes I have the same model. I agree I don’t use mine alot either. It does agood job when I need it.

Greg

Viewing 19 posts - 201 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.733 seconds