dcsimg

Benchtop Drill Press

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Space can always be an issue in a shop or in the van. It would be interesting to see what benchtop drill presses are being used?

I have my eye on the Grizzly G7943

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’m interested in this too – I don’t feel like I can fit a floor model in my shop and every benchtop model I look at seems very low-end. I have been looking at this General though – just havent’ gotten my hands on it to see it in person.

General #75-030

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have he skill 10″ with lasers. I really like a lot and it has laser line guide. It is the 3320 Model BTW.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow I’ve never seen a drill with laser before. I have two drill presses, A floor model and a benchtop, I use the floor model. I haven’t used the bench top one since I converted it into a bowling ball spinner. Yeah I flipped the whole head assembly upsidedown on the mast and made a cup type thing for a ball to sit in. And it sits on the floor so it’s the right height. I was heavy into bowling and used it for cleaning and sanding the balls

I just have a Delta 12 inch and it works well. If space is at a premium, get on the list for the Bridge City Toolworks DJ2 drilling jig. Super accurate drilling with hand drills.

Orange County, CA

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Here is a picture of the lasers.

I tried to find some more accurate reviews, on youtube so that there would be a video with the tool in action, but couldn’t find any. You can research and reviews are good, saying the drill is a good value for the price. Some people complain about chuck wobble, but in my opinion, I just think they don’t know how to put the chuck on right. I drill 1/4″ stepped to 1/2″ holes in aluminum rails with it and it works fine. I’ll have to get a video so that everyone can see. I’ll take a look to see if I have some scrap around.

I always thought lasers would be a great feature to have on a drill press. I also like that this one has a replaceable insert — that is important in a drill press to prevent chip out.

Orange County, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the pic Sven and that laser is so cool

redwood
    Pro

I have the same drill press as Sven. It’s not exactly a high cost drill press either.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

No, it is very reasonably priced, and since Skil is owned by Bosch, it’s a win, win.

I am with Scot I think… He convinced me of the value in the DJ2… I just don’t think there are many ‘awesome’ bench top models, but I could be way wrong

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I am with Scot I think… He convinced me of the value in the DJ2… I just don’t think there are many ‘awesome’ bench top models, but I could be way wrong

I can totally understand where you are coming from, but using a step bit, I have to have the press. If I was only drilling holes of one size that would have been different. A company I work with doesn’t use a press, and every time I try to mount their product, the screws go in at angles because their holes don’t line up. This in turn can throw off how the rails are positioned, making things a total pain in the, well.

I can totally understand where you are coming from, but using a step bit, I have to have the press. If I was only drilling holes of one size that would have been different. A company I work with doesn’t use a press, and every time I try to mount their product, the screws go in at angles because their holes don’t line up. This in turn can throw off how the rails are positioned, making things a total pain in the, well.

Makes sense…not sure how long the shaft is, but the jig is designed to work with large bits like forstner bits too since the shaft goes through the bushing. Of course this might not work for your application or be possible but something I thought I would mention.

Orange County, CA

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Makes sense…not sure how long the shaft is, but the jig is designed to work with large bits like forstner bits too since the shaft goes through the bushing. Of course this might not work for your application or be possible but something I thought I would mention.

It would depend on the height of the bushing. I would think that it would have to be at least 3/4″ high for the drill bit to enter correctly I would think. Unless I drill the 1/4″ hole, and then switch bushings to 1/2″, and continue with a stop collar on the bit? Then I would have to repeat that process 6 or more times depending on how much rail I need to drill. The one’s I use are a lot like the Kreg bits for pocket holes.

woodman_412

I have a Delta 8″ drill press that I used for years and still have. I upgraded a few years ago to a Ridgid floor model but I still use the Delta to sand inside curves on with sanding drums. The 8″ served most of my needs for quite a few years but the quill was starting to get a bit worn so it wasn’t as accurate anymore so that prompted me to upgrade. Space wise the small benchtop models are great though.

Dan

danpattison.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I bought one about 15 years ago from Canadian Tire , Mastercraft and it has worked great all these years no problem . When it dies I will go bigger next time .Floor model

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I bet your 15 year old mastercraft would beat the new ones hands down. I’ve heard only poor reviews on the new ones.

I purchased a Ryobi bench top drill press about 15 years ago. It has worked well for what I put it through and I continue to use it on occasion.

Regarding a laser guide, my floor size drill press has a laser crosshairs but it is not dead on until the bit is closest to the material being drilled. It is something I need to remember.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I purchased a Ryobi bench top drill press about 15 years ago.

I don’t think that you can get that kind of Ryobi quality now.

it is not dead on until the bit is closest to the material being drilled

I haven’t noticed that problem with my press, I’ll have to take a look at it again over the holidays to see. It is mounted solid to the underside of the press, and doesn’t move. Does yours move with the chuck?

Come to think of it, it does not. I find I may need to adjust the piece though as the chuck is lowered.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.702 seconds