dcsimg

Bench Grinder Tool Rests

This topic contains 33 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  sergey061478 4 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Eventually I plan on giving the grinder a paintjob but I haven’t been able to pick a color so I haven’t done it yet.

@Dabbs will tell you to go red. I think he wound up painting a chunk of the garage red at the same time when he painted his. :) I see by the way you made the rest you will have plenty of table if some gets ground off being too close to the wheel. I like your work.

LOL, I thought the same thing with Dabbs and the red

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well the red looked good in the photo he posted.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Thanks for the ideas on the tool rests.
    A buddy that was moving gave me his little grinder, and all that needs work are the tool rests. Looks like this one is from 1965.
    The wheels appear new and other than being dusty the machine looks good except for the rests. It runs smoothly and it will be handy having both a small and a larger one.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice looking bench grinder.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

ya some of the tool rests that come with them are more in the way than helpful. Looks like this was a needed project

woodman_412

Great job on the tool rest. Looks like a huge improvement over what comes on grinders.

This is what I use on my grinder for sharpening and regrinding bevels. It works really well and has a blade holding jig that rides in the groove.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32973&cat=1,43072,45938

Dan

danpattison.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I want this one.

Attachments:

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Bench Grinder with variable speed ?

I am just curious what is the purpose of variable speed bench grinder ? For metal polishing ?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am just curious what is the purpose of variable speed bench grinder ? For metal polishing ?

That is what I am thinking, or maybe so you don’t overheat the metal when sharpening.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That is what I am thinking, or maybe so you don’t overheat the metal when sharpening.

I must of missed rylim’s post earlier. It helps with not overheating the metal when grinding so you don’t work harden it. It also helps with control, sometimes you don’t need to grind everything down to the nub. I have variable speed on both my grinders.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Got one made. I haven’t decided if I’m going to put another piece on top to extend the table out further.

@dustincoc
    I don’t know how I missed this..
    I like it, I just might have to make something up for my bench grinder.

ThanX for posting the pictures.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

Thanks for the information and I have never thought variable speed controller would be so useful

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Thanks for the information and I have never thought variable speed controller would be so useful

Oh they are so good, I love the ones I have. it also helps me use 3 phase motors in a single phase house.

sergey061478
    Blocked

Got one made. I haven’t decided if I’m going to put another piece on top to extend the table out further.

Thanks for posting pics. The rests look very nice. I mostly use bench grinder for sharpening tools like awls and chisels. Personally, a larger tool rest would work better for me. I am thinking about making one.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.527 seconds