dcsimg

Belt Sander

This topic contains 91 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Make sure you remove the dust bag if you’re running metal on your belt sander. I quickly cleaned up a chisel one evening then came down the next morning to find a pile of ashes where my dust bag should be, had smoldered all night. Pretty scary

Gosh you are lucky that’s all that burned.

I had a $100 Ridgid one for a year and a half and even though I didn’t use it too hard one of the plastic gears self destructed.

Not good, I don’t know why they would use a plastic gear in a situation such a belt sander. Hassle on warranties only turn people off from tools. All tools have a manufacturing date code on them and could be used to help establish the tools age.

Ridgid has a lifetime warranty so it doesn’t matter how old it is, I think they bank on half of the people not doing the warranty exactly how they want it to be done so there is non warranty. Milwaukee is really good about their warranty. They know when it was made and sold so they always replace it as long as it’s in the 5 years.

I sent the sander in to them twice and it was returned broken both times. They clearly didn’t even test before sending it back. Their warranty isn’t worth a damn IMHO.

I have a s-b tool 3×21 that I paid $50. left it in the back of my truck by mistake over a rainy weekend. Still works, put it through some pretty tough abuses and my typical cabinet work. Now 6 years old this Skil with the dust filter still runs great

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Make sure you remove the dust bag if you’re running metal on your belt sander. I quickly cleaned up a chisel one evening then came down the next morning to find a pile of ashes where my dust bag should be, had smoldered all night. Pretty scary

Wow, I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the heads up. Pretty scary to think about what could have happened.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Wow, I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the heads up. Pretty scary to think about what could have happened.

yah thats why i put my belt grinder on casters and move it outside when I grind, to keep the hot mess to a minimum, once it cools down i can then vacumn it up.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have an old belt sander, but not this old …

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice sander in that video, Model 525. The identifying plate looks older than my Model 449.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Yes I would have never thought of that happening either. That is a good reminder forsure.

I have 3 x 21 Mastercraft Belt sander. I don’t use very much. I am not even sure where the dust bag is. I also have 6 x 4 Rockwell Beaver sander. I do use alittler more.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that is an interesting old tool. I like the rocket ship design as well. Some of those old tools really had some style.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/mj0wOTHImIc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Nice sander in that video, Model 525. The identifying plate looks older than my Model 449.

Those are real cool! Love the 1950s sci-fi look

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/mj0wOTHImIc?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

There isn’t much plastic in that sander. Like today’s sander pretty well all plastic. It does look cool.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Yours looks to be in really nice condition. Hardly shows any wear at all. Just can’t beat that old iron.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.351 seconds