dcsimg

Belt Sander

This topic contains 91 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 92 total)
  • Author

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not sure why the made the move to make PC homeowner grade…they used to be “the” tool or one of them back in the day. Sad.

I’d blame it on the acquisition of Dewalt. Both brands were trying to sell to the same set of customers, so it makes business sense to aim one brand toward a slightly different market.

I believe Dewalt discontinued making belt sanders

I think anyone who ever used a Dewalt belt sander would tell you they are crap. The tracking mechanism is pure trash…meaning no matter what you do, they shred belts in seconds. I think that’s why they aren’t on the market anymore.

Thanks, I didn’t know that. I’ll cross that off my list if I ever come across a used one for sale. Something that’s odd, of all the name brand tools I see at yard/garage sales and flea markets one thing I never see are belt sanders.

I never see them either. I wonder if they just aren’t that common. I think a lot of people avoid them because of the potential for ruining a piece.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How about the Festool beltsander?? Is it any good??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

That tool is NAINA – but from reviews I have read and posts from FOG it is pretty good and a large tool.

Orange County, CA

That tool is NAINA – but from reviews I have read and posts from FOG it is pretty good and a large tool.

And apparently the MFT base insert is quite nice to have as well.

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

And apparently the MFT base insert is quite nice to have as well.

Well that’s no good!
    How about the Bosch belt sander?? Is it any good??

Dirty

How about the Bosch belt sander?? Is it any good??

I obviously haven’t used it extensively, but I am impressed so far by the one I got the other day. Haven’t given it much more than passing a couple of pieces of wood over it and seeing just how fast it works through material

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-belt-sander-standfence-1273dvs/

John S

I have had the best of luck with this sander. I build custom clocks so I only use it when I am sanding veneer. Of course, this is only light duty sanding. I use the DeWalt sander for heavier work.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have had the best of luck with this sander. I build custom clocks so I only use it when I am sanding veneer. Of course, this is only light duty sanding. I use the DeWalt sander for heavier work.

I have a old heavy Makita that is a monster. I love it.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have a old heavy Makita that id a monster. I love it.

I used to have an old Craftsman all metal unit that was a beast as well. Used it to do body work instead of an air file. It was great for flattening stuff in a hurry then finessing it with the air file.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have an old Craftsman and a Porter Cable. They do not get used a lot, mostly for flattening floors that have gotten rained on to much or sanding larger curves on exterior projects. Once in a while for scribing something.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have an old Craftsman and a Porter Cable. They do not get used a lot, mostly for flattening floors that have gotten rained on to much or sanding larger curves on exterior projects. Once in a while for scribing something.

Since getting my 1250DEVS, my Makita belt sander isn’t seeing much action either. It’s a great sander, but there is always a risk that it will ruin a piece as its SOO aggressive. It is still my go to tool for scribing though.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I use a big 4×24 belt sander for all my scribing. I have gotten good at finessig it even for fine stuff.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Those old all metal units are practically indestructible, I used mine for a lot of years doing body work and it always kept going, noisy and had those sparks sometimes coming from the motor but reliable as heck.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I went looking for my old PC belt sander two days ago and couldn’t find it anywhere. Hadn’t used it in a long time. Resorted to my Festool Rotex instead in aggressive mode. Did the job fine, but I really wanted to use my belt sander instead.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I still have a Craftsman from 20 years ago. If I used it more, I would certainly update to something better.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

is it just me but i don’t see the belt sander on the bosch website, did they discontinue them?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think it was Dustin who recently posted a picture of an old belt sander that looked like a rocket ship, what style those old tools had.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

is it just me but i don’t see the belt sander on the bosch website, did they discontinue them?

Yes. It was discontinued a couple years ago.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

It seams that they have gone the same route as festool saying that an aggressive ro is better that a belt sander. But I rather use a belt sander. Its much more predicable.

It seams that they have gone the same route as festool saying that an aggressive ro is better that a belt sander. But I rather use a belt sander. Its much more predicable.

Interesting, I have almost enough points for a 1250DEVS, but I think I’d still like to keep my old belt sander, but I will try them in some head-to-head tasks when I get a chance 🙂

Will

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.691 seconds