dcsimg

Belt Sander

This topic contains 91 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Belt Sander

Hey Dirty,
    I’ve got the same Makita sander and everybody on the crew loves it

Yes I agree, it’s a kickin sander!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

This is a rather impressive testimony about a makita belt sander. Looks like it has gotten a good it of use.

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2015/02/warhorse_makita_belt_sander.php

John S

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

have to wonder if the newer models work as well. Makita makes some pretty good tools and since bosch no longer makes them and PC has been ruined id give them a shot.

Unless of course PC sanders are still the old make. I am not sure as I have not looked lately.

I run the PC 3×21 and a ryobi for work where the weight would be an issue “vertical sanding”

Unless of course PC sanders are still the old make. I am not sure as I have not looked lately.

The reviews sure make it sound like they are still pretty solid:
    http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-352VS-3-Inch—21-Inch-Variable-Speed/dp/B0000222XA/
    http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-362V-4-Inch-24-Inch-Variable/dp/B000RFT5YA

John S

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I really dislike the newer Porter cable belt sanders. In my option they have just about ruined the entire line of the Porter Cable power tools.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve got a old 3X24″ Makita made in Japan. can’t kill it sander!

I have the 4×24 version of this sander. It’s a beast!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I use the Rotex and since getting it, I no longer used my belt sander so I sold it. No regrets.

Orange County, CA

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

3x sander ate my hand while I was trying to use it in a stand.
    Switched to a 6×48 and use it for what it was designed for.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I really dislike the newer Porter cable belt sanders. In my option they have just about ruined the entire line of the Porter Cable power tools.

The PC brand has been geared for the HO or DYI guy. For those guys they could be fine tools.

Dirty

Not sure why the made the move to make PC homeowner grade…they used to be “the” tool or one of them back in the day. Sad.

Orange County, CA

staker
    Pro

I have the makita 3×24 and use a 4×24 belt on it, great sander.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Not sure why the made the move to make PC homeowner grade…they used to be “the” tool or one of them back in the day. Sad.

I’d blame it on the acquisition of Dewalt. Both brands were trying to sell to the same set of customers, so it makes business sense to aim one brand toward a slightly different market.

Jon P.
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have the makita 3×24 and use a 4×24 belt on it, great sander.

How does that work? Why not just use the correct size belt?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’d blame it on the acquisition of Dewalt. Both brands were trying to sell to the same set of customers, so it makes business sense to aim one brand toward a slightly different market.

I believe Dewalt discontinued making belt sanders

Which then explains why the PC belt sanders are still quality – not competing with Dewalt.

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Which then explains why the PC belt sanders are still quality – not competing with Dewalt.

No I think they are junk. Where did they move the manufacturing to??

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

In my option they have just about ruined the entire line of the Porter Cable power tools.

They were bought by somebody (forget who)(Just checked B&D) and they took the line down scale. Used the name to market it to DIYers & HOs. They used to have the standard of the industry polisher for paint. It’s now junk compared to what it used to be.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

No I think they are junk. Where did they move the manufacturing to??

I have to agree junk. The new Porter Cable belt sanders are not that they used to be. Everything the make is HO grade now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think anyone who ever used a Dewalt belt sander would tell you they are crap. The tracking mechanism is pure trash…meaning no matter what you do, they shred belts in seconds. I think that’s why they aren’t on the market anymore.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I think anyone who ever used a Dewalt belt sander would tell you they are crap. The tracking mechanism is pure trash…meaning no matter what you do, they shred belts in seconds. I think that’s why they aren’t on the market anymore.

Thanks, I didn’t know that. I’ll cross that off my list if I ever come across a used one for sale. Something that’s odd, of all the name brand tools I see at yard/garage sales and flea markets one thing I never see are belt sanders.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.214 seconds