dcsimg

Belt Sander

This topic contains 91 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 92 total)
  • Author

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Whats everyone’s favorite 3×24 belt sander? I have been using a Porter Cable 504 sander for many years. But today the armature decided to let go. Parts are really hard to come by for it any more.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have used mostly Makita and they well built and heavy duty sanders .

woodman_412

I have a Porter Cable as well that I’ve used for years and I’m very happy with it. I also use a Makita and I like it too. I think the Makita is a little lighter weight than the PC but the PC has variable speed which is nice as well as better dust collection that can easily be hooked up to my vac.

Dan

danpattison.com

redwood
    Pro

I don’t seem to use belt sanders that often any longer, with the bigger and better orbital sanders, as well as portable planers. With that said, I have a Bosch that has stuck around a long time.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a 4x 24 craftsman and a 4 x 24 PC. The craftsman is probably 30 to 35 years old, the P C is only a couple. We use them mostly for scribing or cleaning up plywood joints on floors before installing floor finishes.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

It’s too embarrassing to say what kind of belt sander I have . But it was really cheap and does what I got it for. I very seldom use it.

kzcarp
    Pro

I don’t think I’ve ever used a 3×24. I have a Bosch 4×24, and a PC 3×21. Scribing and cleaning up rough spots in subfloor, easing transitions. Not so much for finish wood working anymore with the better orbitals available.

Did you go to harbor freight Brian ? Nothing to be embarrassed over.

kevin

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

It’s too embarrassing to say what kind of belt sander I have . But it was really cheap and does what I got it for. I very seldom use it.

I will say it. Mine a Chicago tools from Harbor freight. Works when I need it which about every other month.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

In line with this discussion—
    I need to remove paint from some large cedar beams and have had pretty good success with a 36 grit ceramic belt.
    Can you suggest any other product or method?

I seldom use a belt sander but own the small Porter Cable shown below and a DeWalt 3×24.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Mine is a Skil from Lowes…

I used to use a PC 3×21 and it was good…loud, but sanded well. I sold it when I went with the dual-mode random orbit sanders. Bosch makes one that gets high reviews and of course Festool has a couple of versions in 3.5, 5 and 6 inch sizes. They work really, really well and the orbital action is pretty aggressive, less dust and just about as quick as a belt sander (at least that has been the case in my experience).

Orange County, CA

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I used to have a Makita that I burnt out but now that I’m mostly woodworking I use my big Bosch ROS, OMT and 1/2 sheet sander. To be honest, I don’t even miss the belt sander now.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve got a old 3X24″ Makita made in Japan. can’t kill it sander!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I will say it. Mine a Chicago tools from Harbor freight. Works when I need it which about every other month.

Nothing the matter with using an economical tool when you only use it occasionally.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Mine is a Skil from Lowes…

Skil actually has a few good tools . I use to use their table saws for years until they started using cheap motors in their saws .

It is my understanding that Skil is owned by Bosch. Never owned anything from them but never heard anyone unhappy with their stuff.

Anonymous

I need to go buy one as I keep having a need for one and I’m getting tired of borrowing a friends. His is an old Craftsman with an odd size belt that’s almost impossible to find, Great thread btw. This will help in my search

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Hey Dirty,
    I’ve got the same Makita sander and everybody on the crew loves it…No I really mean everybody… cause I haven’t seen it in three years, Hey WAIT A MINUTE!

You know…this post is telling me “where the hell is my belt sander?” I have no idea where it is!

I don’t use it anymore. I use the festool RO150 buzz saw.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.605 seconds