dcsimg

Behold! The TrackWorm!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

After much playing around with the options, I was able to get the FSN140 rail (the older Bosch track that works with the CCS180) and the FSN Rail Adaptor to work with my SHD77M Skil WormDrive saw.

As there is an offset, the saw cannot ride on the rail – the height of the saw’s shoe raises the adaptor cup off the rail. But, placing it beside the rail still works well, and unlike most guides, the saw is held in line on both sides.

Cut is clean and straight

In the video, I didnt clamp down, so the rail shifted, but it still cut well. Did it again with clamps and it went like butter and stayed on line

I find that the power of the worm means I have to clamp down the rail, which I havent had to do with the CCS180. Good practice either way.

Its not perfect, and I lose the ability to use the rail edge as my cut line, but I can use the same rail now for the 18V CCS180, the plug-in Skilsaw, and my 1617 router. I’m getting a lot of mileage from these rails!

Pretty cool!! Does it bind up at all or is it pretty smooth?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Smooth when the rail isn’t shifting sideways – important lesson is to clamp down the rail.

I also still want to fiddle a bit more with the adaptor alignment. Its a bit off, so the blade is coming in on a slight slant. Not a big deal to fix though, since I can use the edge of the rail to define “true”

Smooth when the rail isn’t shifting sideways – important lesson is to clamp down the rail.

I also still want to fiddle a bit more with the adaptor alignment. Its a bit off, so the blade is coming in on a slight slant. Not a big deal to fix though, since I can use the edge of the rail to define “true”

How many attachment points do you have from the adapter to the saw?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

How many attachment points do you have from the adapter to the saw?

Two slots for the adaptor’s rail, and one screw to tension

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That’s pretty neat. There’s a whole set of generic tracks with replaceable sacrificial strip in the last LV catalog, might be a better option for anyone who doesn’t already have the Bosch rail.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

wow, thanks, good work,,

It sounds like there is truth to the saying “Necessity is the mother of invention.” Good job there Eric.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That’s pretty slick. Nice job. I might do the same…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

That’s pretty slick. Nice job. I might do the same…

Truly the highest praise

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Awesome! What was the motivation for using a worm drive over a sidewinder?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Awesome! What was the motivation for using a worm drive over a sidewinder?

When I bought the track, I thought I would need the adaptor to run the 18v circ saw. The adaptor rail was too thick to fit in the 18v, but I noticed it might fit in the skilsaw.

Plus, anything too tough for the 18v will require the big worm. Standard sidewinder is now obsolete for my needs

redwood
    Pro

How’s the dust collection? JK. Is that the track that is used for the Bosch track saw?

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

How’s the dust collection? JK. Is that the track that is used for the Bosch track saw?

Nonexistent.

Its the older track. The new one is a Mafell clone and is sold as the 800 and 1600. This is the 70 and 140 series of FSN rails

The Ccs180 rides on it very nicely- I think of it as almost a track saw, especially since I got the dust extraction port for the 18v saw

monman1
    Pro

Neat idea, and it looks like it works good.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Why not just clamp down a level??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

innovative use of the track, too bad it can’t sit on the track.

That’s the usual way, but since I have the pieces to do this…

The big henefite it that the saw is held to the edge. So it can’t drift off the clamed edge

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s the usual way, but since I have the pieces to do this…

The big henefite it that the saw is held to the edge. So it can’t drift off the clamed edge

Too many parts to deal with for me..

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Interesting idea you came up with for track saw guide .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.595 seconds