dcsimg

Beginner Welding Setup

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Yup, I have a big Miller 252 mig with shield gas set up with a tri-mix for mild steel and argon for AL with a spool gun. I also have an old 110V miller 130 with flux and shielded gas with Co2.

We also have a miller 210 at the farm on gas and a hobart Champion Elite welder/generator on the service truck.

I also have a Lincoln 255 tig with argon.

For cutting/heat we use O2 and propane, not acetylene, doesn’t cut quite as nice but it is a lot cheaper.

I also have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 80 plasma cutter. (now Victor)

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Welding anything with a galvanised coating can cause Zinc exposure. Also called Metal Fume Fever. If you like shaking and feeling like a refried piece of dog doo, for a day.

NEVER weld zinc coated metal. BAD stuff.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I’ve always wanted to learn this but keep researching as I’m about to pull the trigger on a cheap Princess Auto (Harbor Freight) or Canadian Tire special and realize it seems to be go big or go home so I put it off. Need to check out some courses first, thanks for the good info guys.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welding anything with a galvanised coating can cause Zinc exposure. Also called Metal Fume Fever. If you like shaking and feeling like a refried piece of dog doo, for a day.

And cutting it with Oxy/acet sucks too

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good luck on the welder and getting it OKed with the wifey.
    JohnS time for a new profile pic that one making me sick.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

JohnS time for a new profile pic that one making me sick.

Did his tool budget run dry already ?

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@mattryyc

I took welding in high school. One instructor was a complete prick, he would stick your hand in the cooling tank. Which was not cool.( Now he would be in jail)

After HS I took a night class. We did gas and arc. No MIG at that time. That instructor was absolute gold. We even did overhead gas welding. Brazing etc.

Cowtown should have lots of night classes. Money well spent.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Welding zinc coated metal is something I try to stay away from. Zinc oxide is some nasty stuff – foul green fumes that make you sick and it is hard to get a nice weld without a lot of spattering and blobs. If you do have to weld zinc coated metal here is a little trick I was taught by a friend of my dads who has been welding full time since the 60’s. Drink lots of whole milk before and after welding or cutting zinc coated metal – something in the milk (I have never bothered to find out what) helps to counter-act the zinc oxide poisoning.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think stick welding is about the easiest to learn and you can buy a stick welder for less than $250 couple that with a auto-dimming helmet and you can try it out. Go to youtube for the technique and get you some scrap metal plates to practice your stitches on.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah no joke.

JohnS time for a new profile pic that one making me sick

lol I am sorry my face offends you haha

@chadm
    – really interesting tips of welding.

Anybody else take a welding class in high school?

John S

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah no joke.

JohnS time for a new profile pic that one making me sick

lol I am sorry my face offends you haha

@chadm – really interesting tips of welding.

Yeah I did, I took metal classes for 4 years 9-12 grade. Learned how to do all kinds of things, rebuild engines, operate lathes, Some forge/foundry, sheet metal, brazing, soldering, welding, Although we did more smoking in the welding booths than welding LOL. In fact I still use a sheet metal tool box I made in 1972, It’s on a shelf in my shop I keep my grease guns in. Has a lid and everything, And I also still have a 2 dimensional eagle I made out of aluminum

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think stick welding is about the easiest to learn and you can buy a stick welder for less than $250 couple that with a auto-dimming helmet and you can try it out. Go to youtube for the technique and get you some scrap metal plates to practice your stitches on.

I hate stick welding and wish I had a wire feed, Although my welds hold they just don’t look the best LOL. I’d really like to get a wire feed and get good at that, Everyone tells me it’s easier and I know the welds look a lot better. With practice of course……

Do ya know why they call it a stick welder? It’s not because you use sticks, It’s because the sticks stick 🙂

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I signed up for welding classes in high school but before I started they dropped the class because of budget cuts.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve always thought welding would be great to know, but it seems I was always so busy I didn’t want to take the time to learn.

Here’s an informative video put out by the University of California at Irvine.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/lzBGZaS1apw?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

@hgonzalez7
    Thanks for the video. Welding is something I really want to learn.

Doobie

There’s some basic welding I did years ago. and while I seemed to be good at it, after having a welder friend who explained a lot to me, welding is not for amateurs or DIY guys like myself. It’s a highly technically specialized field and unless you want to get your head really wrapped around it which I’ve always chosen not to do, get a pro. FWIW.

sergey061478
    Blocked

i am not a welder, but always interested in learning new things. thanks everyone on this thread

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I think getting a pro is great advice for any welds that can cause harm or injury if they fail, like trailer frames and hitches etc. I’ve seen some homemade trailers with horrendously bad welds. For other projects that failure isn’t so bad, i think home welding is a fantastic way to learn new skills and build projects and tools. Welding and meatallurgy can be as complex or simple as you want to make it, welding mild steel projects together with a mig or stick is simple. Weld 2 pieces of scrap together, then try to beat them apart with your bfh, if they fail, adjust your temp, speed etc and try again. Can’t break your joint? Congratulations, you’re learning to weld mild steel!

Not true. Like playing a musical instrument you can teach yourself if your very dedicated and put in the time

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I appreciate this thread. My son is taking a class now to get certified and this is a good thread to refer to on what to get him for Christmas. Lol

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.364 seconds