dcsimg

Beginner Welding Setup

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Be aware of the material clothing that you wear while welding. Non-natural fibers can catch fire very easily.

Bert

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have an auto-darkening helmet from HF that has been flawless, It’s lightweight and works great. When I did my trailer widening project last winter I started with my old old old flip down helmet that used to be the thing to have years ago. It went in the trash after my first bead with the new one

JohnS, Are you going to do some welding?

If I can convince my wife to let me take a class, I would absolutely love to try it. I gotta ask some of my friends if they have much experience and could see if they would teach me a few things as well…. I know one definitely has the skill, but I doubt he has the time.

It seems like the desire to build things crosses over into metalworking, and it also seems like woodworking and metalworking together can make some pretty neat projects…

It would be another lifelong skill I’d love to start to work towards.

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think it’s a great skill to have. I was self taught, took a course, and continue to really enjoy the metal working side of things.

It’s funny that you mention crossing the two disciplines, wood working and metal working. After a pretty good day working on the Land Cruiser yesterday, I needed to cut out a couple pieces of Oak for a project I want to start on the weekend, I can tell you mixing the two disciplines in the same shop SUCKs!! Welding is a dirty job. Woodworking does not take well to the metal dust and sparks. I can’t wait until I have two separate shops.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

John S. first of all figure what kind of welding you want to do. If you need to weld, braze and cut then Oxy-Acetelene is what you need. If you need to join pieces of metal to fab stuff or repair then arc/stick welding will work. That would be the first step. Start small work up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

…. add to the list
    Clamps ! C-clamps, vice grip clamps, magnetic clamps

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I can convince my wife to let me take a class, I would absolutely love to try it. I gotta ask some of my friends if they have much experience and could see if they would teach me a few things as well…. I know one definitely has the skill, but I doubt he has the time.

It seems like the desire to build things crosses over into metalworking, and it also seems like woodworking and metalworking together can make some pretty neat projects…

It would be another lifelong skill I’d love to start to work towards.

Ok then, Take a class…… first. Before ya worry about buying all kinds of welding gear, Ya might have to buy a helmet or whatever to take the class but I would find out first what ya need to take the class and go from there. Unless of course you like spending money on stuff you may not ever use LOL, Btw, How ya going to plug in a welder in your basement anyway??

John S. first of all figure what kind of welding you want to do. If you need to weld, braze and cut then Oxy-Acetelene is what you need. If you need to join pieces of metal to fab stuff or repair then arc/stick welding will work. That would be the first step. Start small work up.

Great response one thing I will add is the thinkness of material you will be using most .

Always willing to learn .

Btw, How ya going to plug in a welder in your basement anyway??

🙁 lol I will cross that bridge when/if I need to

Woodworking does not take well to the metal dust and sparks. I can’t wait until I have two separate shops.

Noted – good point.

Thanks for the thoughts all. Even if I don’t take the class for months (or even in a year or two lol), I am already really glad I know I can come back to this thread and get a refresher on the must haves for a basic welding setup.

John S

Woodworking does not take well to the metal dust and sparks. I can’t wait until I have two separate shops.

That is a real good point Brad. You would be the man with 2 shops! Go for it!!

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Interesting article about the emerging technology with metal 3d printers.. The future looks bright 🙂

http://gizmodo.com/this-3d-welder-could-bring-metal-3d-printing-to-the-mas-1659919589?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

A Working Pro since 2004

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Dabbs wrote:
    lol I will cross that bridge when/if I need to

The fumes from welding could be an issue in your basement too.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Here’s an informative video put out by the University of California at Irvine.

Bert

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Dabbs wrote:
    lol I will cross that bridge when/if I need to

The fumes from welding could be an issue in your basement too.

I would never store welding gas in my house either. And you would NOT want to weld in a basement.

Brad T

I would never store welding gas in my house either. And you would NOT want to weld in a basement.

Noted and noted… ideally it would be outside and I would have a real garage (or even a shop, imagine that) where I could store things

@hgonzalez7
    rocking the video post as usual lol – thanks!

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is a real good point Brad. You would be the man with 2 shops! Go for it!!

Yep very good point. It is why I do my woodworking outside.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Oxy acte is nice but the price of renting tanks is huge. Refills are getting way out of hand.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Oxy acte is nice but the price of renting tanks is huge. Refills are getting way out of hand.

Isn’t that the truth, and they are always telling me they won’t be filling our own tanks much longer (they’ve been telling me that for years) but the tank rentals and refills can get expensive.

Brad T

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Brad

You have a Mig ? If so do you use sheild gas or flux core.

Got a used Hobart 180 and it came with a regulator. Never have tried to use it.

If you are around here, beer and food for a lesson.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@Supermiester

Noted and noted… ideally it would be outside and I would have a real garage (or even a shop, imagine that) where I could store things

Welding anything with a galvanised coating can cause Zinc exposure. Also called Metal Fume Fever. If you like shaking and feeling like a refried piece of dog doo, for a day.

A welding instructor was talking about ventilation. He said he worked in a place were they repaired tanker cars. A fellow went in and did some welding. When he came out he was never the same since.

SO weld outside.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.308 seconds