dcsimg

BATTERIES THE STRAIGHT DOPE!!

This topic contains 148 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 141 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Now after that we can no longer send batteries in the US mail

Makes it a pain to buy tools from overseas that have batteries. Can’t do it have to buy bare tools only.

That’s true, it’s definitely changed the way we use to buy tools with batteries over the Internet.

Not just US mail, also no air mail anywhere in the western world. Serves as a reminder that lithium batteries are little grenades held in check by the design – scary reminder why they aren’t a place to cheap out

I’ve travelled by air with tool batteries. You can only bring them in your carry-on and you have to show that the ends are taped off going thru the security check.

It sure makes it all seem like a marketing strategy, not actual safety responses. It’s probably just a bunch of rich guys sitting in a board room somewhere thinking up how they can convince the masses that they’re still safe after some big media storm about the one item that had a bad run and gets plastered all over everyone’s media intake. Then they make up a rule to ensure everyone’s “safety” so that we all calm back down and go back to spending money to them. It’s not about making things better, just creating a safety facade that keeps people spending money in the right places.

Charlie

Instagram

jaftwo
    Pro
    San Diego, California

I’ve been reading that it’s best to store lithium batteries at half charge. I have several Ridgid 18v batteries, 4, 5, & 6ah and use them on a rotating basis.

I’m retired now and don’t use my tools every day. It’s difficult while working to get them a “2 bars”, stop and change the battery, and repeat. Then when you’re done working, do you I charge a couple fully for the next use, and which ones (depends on what tool… a battery eater like my Ridgid compressor or low amp one — work light). So a charging strategy is not easy.

You know what would be a great smart battery charger feature? Make a option to charge/discharge to 50%. If the battery has 3/4 charge, it discharges down to 50%. If less than 50%, it charges up to 50%.

Since manufacturer’s ship their tool batteries at 50%, I’m sure they have an automated way to do it.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve been reading that it’s best to store lithium batteries at half charge. I have several Ridgid 18v batteries, 4, 5, & 6ah and use them on a rotating basis.

I’m retired now and don’t use my tools every day. It’s difficult while working to get them a “2 bars”, stop and change the battery, and repeat. Then when you’re done working, do you I charge a couple fully for the next use, and which ones (depends on what tool… a battery eater like my Ridgid compressor or low amp one — work light). So a charging strategy is not easy.

You know what would be a great smart battery charger feature? Make a option to charge/discharge to 50%. If the battery has 3/4 charge, it discharges down to 50%. If less than 50%, it charges up to 50%.

Since manufacturer’s ship their tool batteries at 50%, I’m sure they have an automated way to do it.

thats an interesting thought, i’ve never had any problems with storing the batteries full so far. I mean my milwalkees have been sitting for a few years and the charge doesn’t seem to really die, i haven’t charged them as i have no idea where my red charger went.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Funny, that has never been a concern for me. I do try to rotate batteries so that they all get close to the same use but that’s all. Sometimes they sit for a couple of weeks before use, always at full charge. Never had a problem doing that.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Funny, that has never been a concern for me. I do try to rotate batteries so that they all get close to the same use but that’s all. Sometimes they sit for a couple of weeks before use, always at full charge. Never had a problem doing that.

Same here Peter, since switching over to the lithium, it’s even better,
    But I try like you to rotate batteries.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve never worried about the batteries. I just grab whats easiest and fully charge when dead.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jaftwo
    Pro
    San Diego, California

The documentation from Ridgid when I bought my two Octane 9ah batteries says “if storing over 30 days, store at a 30% to 50% charge.”

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The documentation from Ridgid when I bought my two Octane 9ah batteries says “if storing over 30 days, store at a 30% to 50% charge.”

I have heard this about all the Li-ion batteries,

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

That’s what I’ve read also, and I remember the older ni-cad, it was best to store them basically near empty / dead. Something to do with the chemical building up dentrites? In between the cell film Not sure about the spelling

Viewing 9 posts - 141 through 149 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.356 seconds