dcsimg

BATTERIES THE STRAIGHT DOPE!!

This topic contains 148 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Author

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My experience with knock off batteries has been less than positive. From fitment issues to run time issues they have all missed being just like what they were replacing, although they did cost a lot less than OEM. In this case you get what you pay for.

This is true Bill, good points about the fit and quality.

I’ve had NiCad batteries rebuilt but they were never close to as good as OEM

I wouldn’t dare go random no-name for lithium given the fire hazard. Lots of 3rd parties buy batteries that failed quality control and so the market is flooded by batteries with problems.

Some companies have multiple standards that they use, so a cell can fail at Dewalt but still be above the minimum for Black and Decker. But those that fail completely are sold in bulk and end up in cheap knockoffs mostly.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have been seeing more and more of these knock off batteries being used by coworkers in the last few years. This company seems to have a battery for almost everything. Has anyone here tried them out yet?

https://www.vanonbatteries.com/

Never heard or seen those batteries

What kind of aftermarket batteries have you used in the past?

None! I don’t use aftermarket batteries. only the original ones

And when the original ones die what do you replace them with?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I have been seeing more and more of these knock off batteries being used by coworkers in the last few years. This company seems to have a battery for almost everything. Has anyone here tried them out yet?

More original ones. I can still easily get OEM NiCad batteries from any of the manufacturers and lithium has been out and dominant for about a decade. When the lithium batteries are due to be replaced , either there will be better new ones out or lithium tech will be so old there will be no replacement. No concern for another 10 years or so for my current lineup

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I purchase OEM batteries when they are on sale, but I got way to many, so I should be ok for quite some time.
    I also get extra bats when I purchase tool kits.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I purchase OEM batteries when they are on sale, but I got way to many, so I should be ok for quite some time.

So you never had a battery go dead, or have a tool battery style get changed? I have 30 year old 14.4v drills that the aftermarket is just easier to come by.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

More original ones. I can still easily get OEM NiCad batteries from any of the manufacturers and lithium has been out and dominant for about a decade. When the lithium batteries are due to be replaced , either there will be better new ones out or lithium tech will be so old there will be no replacement. No concern for another 10 years or so for my current lineup

So when your car battery dies is OEM only or have you ever considered a aftermarket battery?? Just wondering?

Dirty

So when your car battery dies is OEM only or have you ever considered a aftermarket battery?? Just wondering?

Yes, I have. I will only go OEM or a decent name brand though, no no-name or store-brand generics.

Its a bit different with Lead Acid car and marine batteries since they are a shared standard – you just buy the size you want/need

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Reference car batteries, I have bought the cheaper brands like the Auto Zone or Advance brand batteries. But more times than not I stick with an OEM brand like Motorcraft, or AC Delco. The best batteries out there though are Interstate, they are well built. Bosch also makes car batteries but they are tough to find. I think Pep Boys may carry them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Reference car batteries, I have bought the cheaper brands like the Auto Zone or Advance brand batteries. But more times than not I stick with an OEM brand like Motorcraft, or AC Delco. The best batteries out there though are Interstate, they are well built. Bosch also makes car batteries but they are tough to find. I think Pep Boys may carry them.

NAPA in Canada also has Bosch car batteries. My old Honda Civic got a Bosch when it’s original battery died. No idea how it did, since I sold that car a couple of years later.

My Volvos still run OEM batteries. Price is similar But they install for free at the dealership so it’s a drive in, drive out. No savings doing it myself and the dealership is 5 mins from home

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Price is similar But they install for free at the dealership so it’s a drive in, drive out. No savings doing it myself and the dealership is 5 mins from home

I guess that’s the difference between the top and bottom. I have always put in my own batteries and have never been to a dealership.

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro

Price is similar But they install for free at the dealership so it’s a drive in, drive out. No savings doing it myself and the dealership is 5 mins from home

I guess that’s the difference between the top and bottom. I have always put in my own batteries and have never been to a dealership.

I used to do that. Then one time I went to replace one in a minivan I had. I soon realized it was tucked and orchestrated in a spot that was really a challenge to deal with. I could see there was a ton of work involved.

Called Costco and asked if they installed the battery I had just bought there themselves. They said they did and it was only some menial fee like 15 bucks so I went and brought it there. Came back four hours later and it still wasn’t done. Turns out that I found out years later when that first swap battery died that Chilton clocked it at 3 hours or more from another place.

Glad I never went and actually tried it myself. Costco had since no longer offered to replace batteries….Geee…..I wonder why?

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

So you never had a battery go dead, or have a tool battery style get changed? I have 30 year old 14.4v drills that the aftermarket is just easier to come by.

Actually no. Not a single battery died on me so far, but I am not as long as you on this planet 😛
    Perhaps when you started to use power tools, I was still liquid haha.
    But I totally understand you, for older bats or style it might be better to go with aftermarket batteries.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

It just so happens that the least expensive mechanic who works on my models of car is the dealership. Both cars are over 15 years old and mechanics always charged a pile of hours just figuring out what was going wrong. The dealer already had it narrowed down from experience and has the same hourly rate. Ends up cheaper to go to them every time.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

NAPA in Canada also has Bosch car batteries

Never thought to ask NAPA, I’ll check there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I just replaced the battery in my car last winter, I did it myself, the dealer offered to replace it for a small fee, but it was the darn waiting time I can’t afford, to many headaches leaving the car, and trying to figure out how to get about my day, just took the battery home, and twenty minutes later I was good to go.

I also fiddled around with replacing some ni-cad batteries that died in my Bosch ni-cads battery packs, it’s just a pain to cut the old tabs and then solder the new ones in, it works, but in my opinion, to much time wasted, I even replaced one from the ni-cad to the li po flat packs, I definitely don’t recommend doing this, they are potentially dangerous for fires, I had one catch on fire while charging.

Personally I’d rather pay a few more dollars and get the original battery packs.

I just replaced the battery in my car last winter, I did it myself, the dealer offered to replace it for a small fee, but it was the darn waiting time I can’t afford, to many headaches leaving the car, and trying to figure out how to get about my day, just took the battery home, and twenty minutes later I was good to go.

I also fiddled around with replacing some ni-cad batteries that died in my Bosch ni-cads battery packs, it’s just a pain to cut the old tabs and then solder the new ones in, it works, but in my opinion, to much time wasted, I even replaced one from the ni-cad to the li po flat packs, I definitely don’t recommend doing this, they are potentially dangerous for fires, I had one catch on fire while charging.

Personally I’d rather pay a few more dollars and get the original battery packs.

Surprised there is a waiting time. At my place, I was told that so long as I got it in between 7 and 8 am, they could take care of it on the spot. I drove into the garage area, walked in to pay and walked back out to the car to leave. Timewise, it was faster than going to a store and buying the battery since they already knew I was coming and had it out. Probably 10 minutes between when I arrived there and when I left.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Surprised there is a waiting time. At my place, I was told that so long as I got it in between 7 and 8 am, they could take care of it on the spot. I drove into the garage area, walked in to pay and walked back out to the car to leave. Timewise, it was faster than going to a store and buying the battery since they already knew I was coming and had it out. Probably 10 minutes between when I arrived there and when I left.

Yeah, this was last winter when we had that cold spell, I guess it’s like spring and fall with changing tires, when their is a high demand, you have to wait or leave the car.

They had numerous batteries being sold and replaced that day.
    I’m sure it would have been slightly different if it was on any other day,

I have replaced batteries in my older vehicles like the old Ford 150 and that was so straightforward that it was not worth having someone else do it, in the more modern vehicles with space being such a premium I can see paying someone else (I only replaced one headlight bulb in my wife’s Honda civic before I determined it was cheaper/easier to have the dealership do it). Also going forward into hybrids and electrics, it will likely require certification to it.

Will

CB
    Pro

The segue from tool batteries to car batteries reminded me of the impact that battery chemistry can have on battery buying decisions.

I put high end “aftermarket” batteries in my truck, which is a diesel, and requires at least two batteries in good condition just to power the glow plugs and turn the high compression, large displacement motor.

Previously, I had replaced the batteries in this truck with the highest level of OEM branded batteries offered by the OEM dealer. They only lasted 3 and a half years. Prior to that, the original batteries only lasted 3 years.

So I decided to give these aftermarket batteries a shot. That was 10 years ago, and the truck is still starting everyday on those same batteries that I installed back in 2008. Not just the same type and brand of batteries… but the exact same physical batteries, still robustly working without issue.

Sometimes, aftermarket batteries can be better than OEM. In the case of my truck batteries, the lead acid chemistry was the same as an OEM flooded wet cell battery, but the electrolyte in this particular aftermarket battery was absorbed into a fiberglass mat. And the lead in the battery had 99.99% purity. The manufacturer of the battery is the same company that outfits fighter jets, submarines, and army tanks with batteries, all applications which really benefit from a reliable battery, even when upside down.

Finding such a parallel with tool batteries would be interesting. I was a late adopter to Lithium Ion tool batteries, so I have yet to experience a battery failure that would send me seeking alternatives. But man did I ever go through a slew of NiMh and NiCd tool batteries in the ’80’s, 90’s, and ’00’s.

I was tempted to try aftermarket tool batteries at that time, but then found that it was cheaper to buy a duplicate tool kit on sale that shipped with two batteries, so that I could also get an extra charger for the simultaneous charging of multiple batteries, in addition to the two new batteries that shipped with the kit. Nevermind the tool that was included.

But I wouldn’t necessarily condemn all aftermarket batteries. In the example of vehicle batteries, aftermarket has worked out quite well for me for the last decade, saving me three typical battery changing cycles so far.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.697 seconds