dcsimg

Bathroom switching

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

On all of the baths I remodel I have 4 sometimes 5 switches.

Im not a fan of switch gangs. I tend to put main lighting or vanity on a single switch but then use duplex switches for fan controls.

Wondering what you boys do?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Depends. On remodels I tend to run into box capacity issues. Older homes with metal boxes and EMT conduits is what I see 80% of the time.

In those cases I have to find room. Existing boxes too small to fit in the newer boxy GFCI receptacles and multiple controls, and sometimes enlarging the finished wall hole for a bigger box is a challenge. Hate to cut old ceramic tiles laid over 2″ thick cement base with metal lath.

Given a choice I tend to size the box according to maximum devices – overhead light, wall scones, exhaust fan, receptacle…I would probably put in a three gang at least. Although I prefer to rough the GFCI receptacle away from it, if I can do it.

Box size is even more important now since newer switches are big. Timer control with exhaust fan, motion sensor for lights, and since you can’t just do a switch loop on the hot conductor anymore, you have more neutral conductors to take up more room. From that standpoint I think bigger boxes give more room and flexibility, and that means more ganged switches.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I favour a 3 gang box near the door for fan, overhead and vanity lighting and the GFI separately near the sink. Code here requires a fan timer which can tax the capacity of some 3 gang boxes when retrofitting.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I usually need 4 gang or 3 with a double rocker.

Although I could stop giving that extra switch option and link up the fan with the shower lighting but then the crapper……..

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

In bathrooms I tend to stay away from duplex switches simply because if it’s wet and steamy after a shower or older folks feeling for switches in the middle of the night…in my opinion the bigger switch the better.

I once used a quad switch – legrand makes one – to control four sets of recessed lights in a living room with only a one gang box. It works but just not very well, probably a 50% chance of hitting the wrong switch even when switch locations and ceiling locations are arranged logically.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.548 seconds