dcsimg

Bathroom Remodel @tonyg

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

jponto07 wrote:
    Nice work Tony! Demo is always fun, but a back breaker. Are you going to do anything with the giant window in the shower? I’ve seen them many times before, but I’d feel a bit weird showering there.
    I am thinking about replacing it with a more energy efficient one but that is about it. It will stay in the same place and the same size and everything.

Frosted glass or something right? Nobody wants to see that…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I am going to try to explain this as best I can.
    So I noticed that the shower floor butted up against the walls. I would think that it would make more sense for the wall to butt up to the floor.

What is the right way to do it?

Edit: I added a picture

Attachments:
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is that drywall on the walls?? If it is , it needs to go.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

No that is concrete/foundation

So I noticed that the shower floor butted up against the walls. I would think that it would make more sense for the wall to butt up to the floor.

What was the material on the walls before you ripped them down, I saw the tiles , but was it jip , cement board , or could it have been that orange Kerdi board stuff, Im guessing it was the old jip.

I would defenitly use the kerdi system , or schluter if you may, the orange water proofing system. this way it over laps the floor and you should never have problems either way. coming along Tony. maybe @AndyG will tune in and he will for sure give you sound advice. or you could go to his thread Good Tile Techniques by Andy some great info in the thread

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No that is concrete/foundation

Oh,,,Ok it stays then…..

AndyG
    Pro

Am I looking at the old work or new set up? Also, what size is shower and is there a curb?

We’re there furing stripes on the concrete walls .

Always willing to learn .

AndyG
    Pro

If you ll get me up to speed, I ll tell you how to set that job up.

The window appears vinyl, is it new construction or replacement , and can it be pulled and reinstalled?

Trust me, and I ll show you how to make it water tight.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Am I looking at the old work or new set up? Also, what size is shower and is there a curb?

This is all old. I have not done anything but demo the walls.

We’re there furing stripes on the concrete walls .

Yes there were 2×4’s I was wondering if I can put 1×4″s back to gain an extra inch??

If you ll get me up to speed, I ll tell you how to set that job up.

The window appears vinyl, is it new construction or replacement , and can it be pulled and reinstalled?

Trust me, and I ll show you how to make it water tight.

The window is vinyl, it is also existing but going to get replaced. So yes it can be pulled but a new one will be installed.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

What was the material on the walls before you ripped them down, I saw the tiles , but was it jip , cement board , or could it have been that orange Kerdi board stuff, Im guessing it was the old jip.

I would defenitly use the kerdi system , or schluter if you may, the orange water proofing system. this way it over laps the floor and you should never have problems either way. coming along Tony. maybe @AndyG will tune in and he will for sure give you sound advice. or you could go to his thread Good Tile Techniques by Andy some great info in the thread

I am not familiar with any of the systems. I will have to google them to see what they are. I’m not entirely sure what the existing stuff was. It was normal sheetrock on the studs than a green type of sheet rock over that than the tile.

Which leads me to another question. Do I have to put the sheet rock against the studs or can I put the other stuff against the studs to gain another inch around the shower?

AndyG
    Pro

Is this on a slab ? Can’t make out pics , my apology if this has been covered.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Is this on a slab ? Can’t make out pics , my apology if this has been covered.

No worries it has not yet because I have not yet demoed the floor. I need to let my trash service catch up with my work. My can is already full and I have several large bags full on the side of my house.

I will take some better pictures when I have daylight and post them.

AndyG
    Pro

OK. Just wondering if this is on a slab or crawlspace . I’m about so sign off for the weekend , but here’s the big picture …choose a system , a total system, like Schluter , that you are comfortable doing . get me dimensions and I ll show you how to lay out the material to avoid seams and leaks. Plan on the window coming out, the rough opening being waterproofed completely , and new window going in prior to tile . forget waterproofing to the window , any connection will ultimately fail, as well as the window itself . you want to go beyond the window with waterproofing. If it were mine , id still shield it during use with a curtain .but waterproof it like a divers watch.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Here are some pictures I will add the dimensions I just have to measure. I am going to use a Bosch bulldog to demo the tile on the floor today

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Dimensions:
    Floor 45″x30″
    Side walls 41″x95″ (each)
    Back wall 46.5″x95″ minus the window 36″x35.5″

I plan on putting tile all the way up to the ceiling.

Here is the floor after demo.

Attachments:
    AndyG
    Pro

OK. First you need to check all framing for plumb and alignment and plan the plumbing …I ll check in later today if able .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks small?? Should it be made bigger. Bigger is sometimes better.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Took the weekend off I will get back at it tomorrow after work and demo the rest of the sheet rock to the ceiling and around the window. Than check for plumb and alignment.

It looks small?? Should it be made bigger. Bigger is sometimes better.

It is small and I would like to go bigger but would involve moving walls. I am going to gain a couple inches all around by redoing it though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Now is the best time to move the walls. It’s a great time to move the walls. Moving walls can be easy.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.345 seconds