dcsimg

Barn Door Help

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We made the mistake of going with a barn door as our main (dual) door for the bathroom and closet, which created an interesting problem to solve.

CAN I put a soft close in the middle of the track but still have it close all the way? This way, the door (no matter how hard you open it) will slow down mid way? is there such a think as an oversized elongated soft close?

The problem we are trying to solve is, in case there is someone on is on the other side of the barn door, they dont get hit.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Not that I have seen. I have installed soft close that works both ends, but not in the middle. Not sure how that could be done.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

thank you! maybe I’m looking for an entirely new closing system with the entire rail is a slow closer, or closing assist.

We made the mistake of going with a barn door as our main (dual) door for the bathroom and closet, which created an interesting problem to solve.

CAN I put a soft close in the middle of the track but still have it close all the way? This way, the door (no matter how hard you open it) will slow down mid way? is there such a think as an oversized elongated soft close?

The problem we are trying to solve is, in case there is someone on is on the other side of the barn door, they dont get hit.

Looks like a beautiful place and door , I’m definitely not experienced in this area , but I wouldn’t mind finding out what you decided , and figured out , please let us know.

Absolutely @Boschmanbrian.

What I have so far.

I have not gotten samples nor have I gotten my hands on this equipment yet, but I am going to try these two options.

1.dampening system, basically the entire track is a soft close, and you can also automate this for ADA requirements. this could be very expensive though, its a who new system and a whole new fit.

2. extra long heavy duty soft close. the one in the photo is 5 times larger than the one I have, this is a very viable solutions, but requires removing structural hard because it is in the way

Doobie

I womder if Blum makes something like this, but instead where most commonly seen of their superior soft close slides for drawers and such, they have some specifically for barn doors.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

the more I look at it and think about it, the more I think it’s a design flaw.

while it seems a neat idea to have a dual door for the closet and bathroom, it doesn’t function quite that way. The two spaces have no relationship, in other words, the opening of the closet requires the closing of the bathroom door, and vice versa. They cannot be both closed or both opened.

One option, is to use an extra long overhead track, and move the door to the left, so that it can be in three positions, all the way left to leave both open, closing the bathroom door, or closing the closet door. Still doesn’t cover the case of wanting both closed though, and still will bump into someone, just less frequent.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.217 seconds