dcsimg

Bar Top Resin

This topic contains 30 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Irish_Red 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

On the third coat, I concentrated on making sure the resin flowed somewhat over all the edges, as well as a even layer on the top. Remember, this material is self leveling, so the surface needs to be pretty level or it will not be even. No bubbles showed up on this coat, but the gnats didn’t learn their lesson. For about a hour I stuck around and picked them off with a shim. This morning the table looked great, no dimples, the sides looked and felt much better. There are a lot of hard drips off the bottom edge of the table that I will need to sand off.

Total cure time is about 3 days, though it is pretty hard in 8 hours.

Mark,
    It looks awesome. Great job.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Well now you folks have me worried. We don’t have huge humidity swings like some areas, but just in case, when I flip the top to sand off the drips, I’ll spray a coat of polyurethane on the underside.

That’ll do it. It would just stink to have done all that beautiful work just to have the top delaminate or start to cup.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Well now you folks have me worried. We don’t have huge humidity swings like some areas, but just in case, when I flip the top to sand off the drips, I’ll spray a coat of polyurethane on the underside.

Good idea. As others mentioned, sealing the top side of the wood doesn’t really protect the piece to the extent that you’d like it to.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

What kind of wood is it Mark?

Call the manufacturer and ask them what they think about sealing the underside.

West Systems has great technical support on something like that. Maybe you should call them. I’ve called them quite a few times over the years, but I do use their products.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

redwood
    Pro

What kind of wood is it Mark?

This table, like all my furniture has come out of the unit of 2×6 Port Orford Cedar, I bought awhile back. Oh, and little dose of ipe for good measure.

I’m surprised I didn’t even think about West Systems for this resin, considering I use their epoxy products.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’m surprised I didn’t even think about West Systems for this resin, considering I use their epoxy products.

So am I Mark. They’re the kings of the resin/epoxy world and I do recall you were a fan of them. They’re typically a bit pricier than other alternatives/brands, but they make good stuff imo and have superb tech support.

I was just on their site lloking for an article I read some years ago that I thought was relevant to what you were doing, but they have so many of them I couldn’t find it.

This one was somewhat close, but not the one I was looking for.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/sealing-and-priming/

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

@redwood I really like that table you did a great job.I see the vac090 too great dust extractor.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

That looks great! I’ve bookmarked this for future projects

I missed this thread @redwood . I love what you did there . Very cool looking design . Resin is so cool and lasts forever .

Always willing to learn .

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

When I do my bar I may do this. Thanks @redwood.

Boy am I glad I read this thread and got to see the pictures. I asked a guy who said he’d done a lot of resin/epoxy work in his life about the tourch/heat gun technique. The guy told me “no no Tyler that would dry the piece unevenly” but then I look at his work and find bubbles. We also ruined a nice brush that day putting polyurethane on the outer edge of the underside of a counter top (for feel if gripping the edge of the counter) instead of flipping the piece and sealing the entire bottom like you guys suggest. Absolutely beautiful work Mark!

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.855 seconds