dcsimg

Back to the future

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

They did look good at the time they were released. I was disappointed in the choice of engine to power the car. Not like I could afford one anyways but they could have chose a better engine.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I thought I read that they were going to be making some new ones, I just can’t remember where.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Didn’t the guy who designed them go to jail for something ?

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

There was one featured on Pawn Stars the tv show that a guy rebuilt to look just like the one on Back to the Future. It was cool, an exact replica with the flux capacitor and all. He was trying to sell it for like $50k or something like that. I thought it was a small price for a time machine!

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

John DeLorean, yes he did. He was convicted of drug trafficking which he claimed he was only doing to keep the car company afloat. It takes massive amounts of money to start an auto manufacturing company and was way under financed. On another note Tesla has been in business over 10 years and still has not made a penny.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

KenW
    Pro

John DeLorean, yes he did. He was convicted of drug trafficking which he claimed he was only doing to keep the car company afloat. It takes massive amounts of money to start an auto manufacturing company and was way under financed. On another note Tesla has been in business over 10 years and still has not made a penny.

A video about DeLorean said he tried to mass produce his cars like the big three did. If he hadn’t over reached the company might have stayed afloat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Used to see them for around $5k in the want ads. Now it seems $25k is more common.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Used to see them for around $5k in the want ads. Now it seems $25k is more common.

5k in the want ads BEFORE Back to the Future!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used to think they were cool and I’d like to have one now, But they were a bit troublesome. It’s too bad he couldn’t keep it going cuz like any car the first production year always has hidden bugs that have to be worked out, This one didn’t get that chance.

The sad thing is he really got screwed by the FBI, They didn’t have anything on him but knew he needed money desperately so he was an easy target. they set him up in a sting operation and offered him an easy way to a quick money making deal that he couldn’t refuse, He never even possessed the coke. He just agreed to putting up the money, The good thing is he was found innocent of the charges but by then his name was so tarnished his car company didn’t have a chance

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I’ve always wondered whether it would be a practical business model to buy old worn out cars and completely remanufactured them. Specializing in just a few popular yet common models, it seems you could get pretty fast at it. I’m thinking complete frame off restorations in just a couple days. The key is to find models that people would buy.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

I’ve always wondered whether it would be a practical business model to buy old worn out cars and completely remanufactured them. Specializing in just a few popular yet common models, it seems you could get pretty fast at it. I’m thinking complete frame off restorations in just a couple days. The key is to find models that people would buy.

Have you ever seen the show Graveyard Carz? They specialize in restoring old Mopars. Don’t think they can rip something out in a couple of days though. When I watch the show I’m amazed how they can take something that’s ready for the crusher and make a full car out of it.

I’d like to do something like that when I retire but for my enjoyment.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Have you ever seen the show Graveyard Carz? They specialize in restoring old Mopars. Don’t think they can rip something out in a couple of days though. When I watch the show I’m amazed how they can take something that’s ready for the crusher and make a full car out of it.

Hadn’t heard of that show but I just looked it up. They do OEM restorations. What I picture is a factory that builds like new cars out of old ones. Instead of only doing 1 car, I envision going out and buying up all of a particular model I could get, say a 6th or 7th gen F150, and rebuilding them all on a production line. That’s why finding popular models is important.

There are a lot of people that don’t want all the electronic crap that’s mandated by law on modern vehicles. Rebuilding the old ones is a way I see around that.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I, for one, am not a fan of the electronics. It’s great when it’s working, not so much fun when it isn’t.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hadn’t heard of that show but I just looked it up. They do OEM restorations. What I picture is a factory that builds like new cars out of old ones. Instead of only doing 1 car, I envision going out and buying up all of a particular model I could get, say a 6th or 7th gen F150, and rebuilding them all on a production line. That’s why finding popular models is important.

There are a lot of people that don’t want all the electronic crap that’s mandated by law on modern vehicles. Rebuilding the old ones is a way I see around that.

One step even better and what I’d love to see is someone/company buying or making all the old body stamp dies and whatever else they need to completely build new but old cars, Wouldn’t it be cool to go out and buy a completely brand new 68 Vette stingray or whatever

Anonymous
    Inactive

I, for one, am not a fan of the electronics. It’s great when it’s working, not so much fun when it isn’t.

I know what ya mean, But I’m a bit torn on that too. There are some great things that I wouldn’t want to give up now, Distributerless HEI was a great improvement. No more points, condenser, rotor, cap, timing advance weights LOL,

For the most part things are getting better with it all now a days, But it does suck to work on. My trucks check engine soon light came on two days ago and I have no idea what’s what or why UGHH!!..

I remember back in the 70’s-80’s when they were first trying out all the new stuff? Man it was a nightmare, I remember trying to work on a carb that had a throttle position sensor. It was on a Ford and was for advancing the ignition timing, Well the computer wasn’t exactly up to par on that yet and it still had a distributer LOL….

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

One step even better and what I’d love to see is someone/company buying or making all the old body stamp dies and whatever else they need to completely build new but old cars, Wouldn’t it be cool to go out and buy a completely brand new 68 Vette stingray or whatever

The problem with that is since it is a “new” car without a VIN, it would have to meet current emissions regs. By reusing the old bodies, you preserve the VIN and thereby get to only meet emissions regs when it was originally built,

Oh now I see. Actually Nissan did that a few years ago with the 240Z. They bought back a lot of old cars and restored them as new and sold them off.

I know this is not really the same but here is one company making “new” Mustangs.

http://revologycars.com/

Doobie

He got arrested, but never got convicted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeLorean#Arrest_and_trial

He basically got screwed over by his neighbor.

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.538 seconds