dcsimg

Back pain What's Your Secrets?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I take a large amount of Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) and probably more then I should.

I also try to stretch a little in the morning as well. I get really bad muscle spasms in my lower back. Just wondering how many of you guys have back pain, and what’s your secret for dealing with it?

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’ve always been one to lift heavy loads, and I was able to do it because I had practiced body building for many years.

Here’s some things I learned that protect the back:
    1. Never lift with your back. Lift with your quadriceps – the thigh muscles. When dead-lifting something, I bend my knees and focus on putting the load stress on my quads, not on my lower back.
    2. Never reach to the side for something. Think of your navel as the ‘big eye’. In other words, make sure you are directly facing what you’re going to lift. This way, you maintain equal distribution of the load on your back, which will cause it the least strain. It also keeps you from overworking one set of obliques, which can really do damage to your lower back.
    3. Always lift loads close to your body. Don’t reach out to lift something heavy. Bend your knees, pick up the load in your arms with elbows snug to your sides as much as possible. This action prevents overstraining your lumbar region and evenly distributes the weight of the load through your entire spine and shoulders as well as your legs. The farther out you reach, the more you compromise your muscle groups and fatigue them, resulting in strains.
    4. Practice deep knee bends after proper stretching. This will help warm up your glutes, your quads and your obliques, thus allowing you to move more freely and reduce the possibility of a cold strain to your lower back.

Hope this helps to begin with. I have more, but start with these steps and you should notice an improvement.

You might remember that I had posted how I had hauled a 300 pound boxed desk years ago when I was only 125 pounds soaking wet. It’s because I practiced body building and safe lifting.
    If you’d like some references to some good books on the subject, let me know.

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man CD what timing! My back is killing me! Sometimes I just do almost nothing a wamO The right side allways right side like kinks up. Like becomes very tight.
    Then it hurts for days. I put the heat stuff on it, The IcyHot powergel or what ever I have on hand. What I really need to do is go see my Thai massage girl Noi. Noi can work magic on the back, extremely talented!

Great thread!!!

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Wow Pat thanks for that advice. I don’t have any structural back issues however muscle spasms are very painful. It’s amazing how painful it can be. There are times when I’ve stretched in the morning and the stretching caused spasms. So sometimes I’m not sure what to do.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Wow Pat thanks for that advice. I don’t have any structural back issues however muscle spasms are very painful. It’s amazing how painful it can be. There are times when I’ve stretched in the morning and the stretching caused spasms. So sometimes I’m not sure what to do.

It may be due to your stretching technique. Sounds like it to me. When your back is sore, use cold treatment. When your back is healing you can then begin to apply heat.
    Stretching MUST be done very carefully and slowly. Most guys I’ve seen in the gyms like to look macho and snap through their routines, even their stretching. I’ve seen guys bounce fast through their heel stretches. BIG MISTAKE. You need to do it SLOWLY. Once you feel the first sign of tightness in your stretch, back off slightly, hold it for a few moments, then ease on to the stretch again – never holding it at max stretch.

For you I would strongly recommend taking a warm shower before starting your stretching. Then, walk. After you warm up your muscles with the warm shower and walking, only then should you start stretching.

More to come…

Edit: I’ve added a photo of my 3 favorite body building books. Arnold’s is the one I would recommend for you.

Pat

I went through some significant back pain on and off for a year.

How is your overall flexibility in your hips and upper legs?

I have always had poor flexibility (until now) and a PT told me that could be a cause or at least a contributing factor and recommended some stretches.

Pain free now….at least in my back.

Drink water! Lots!

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I have scoliosis and my back twisted. The scoliosis is like 37 degrees upper and 35 lower so it was never caught. I find out everything when I bent over to out a dish in the dishwasher and my mom freaked out on me. The spine twisting caused me to look like I have a hump on my back but in reality it’s just my back.

So aleve and a back drub from my wife. Besides that I just tolerate the pain as it’s a daily thing. Sometimes I don’t sleep because of pain. I really should seek alternative ways to make it feel better.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

A lot of times back cramps and spasms are from dehydration. Some can be from a lack of potassium. Most of the time your body is telling you it needs something.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Sometimes the best solution is a good chiropractor. Hard to find a good one, most just wanna get you in for as many appointments as possible to make some money off you.

A good chiropractor should only need to see you once or twice a week to start, then decrease from there to no visits within a few months.

A bad one wants to see you three or four times a week for half a year then twice a week for the rest of your life.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

A lot of times back cramps and spasms are from dehydration. Some can be from a lack of potassium. Most of the time your body is telling you it needs something.

That is very true ! I get a lot of cramping and after taking potassium pills for a few days it usually goes away .I also have lower back pain everyday
    and it really makes it hard to walk . I have been told for years now that there is nothing the doctors can do about that .

My knees are shot from sports primarily. They will need to be replaced some day but I take a prescription of Meloxicam which is a NSAID. One little pill a day and I am almost pain free. Check it out if you have chronic pain. It might work well for you too.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

for back pain i will stretch it when i feel it tighening up. and take robax platinum when its really bad

as for proper lifting technique from a deadlift perspective, using your quads alone greatly limits what you can lift and places more strain on the knees. some of those here now my weightlifting background so im well versed in both fitness, bodybuilding and powerlifting techniques. a standard deadlift should incorporate you hamstrings, glutes and quads this way your getting everything into it. if you want to help loosen up your back lightweight stiff leg dead lifts will help stretch it out but DO NOT stand on blocks.. some think its better thats entirely wrong it puts you at more risk of injury. .the other thing is to never start a dead lift from the ground.. speaking from experience by doing this i was able to go from deadlifting 135lbs and bringing my lift up to 405 in a period of 6 months doing so injury free

also lots and lots of abdominal work keeping your abs strong will protect your back

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

redwood
    Pro

I’m on Cali’s diet, sort of. Ibuprofen in the morning.

Surprisingly, for as old as I am and all the dang stuff I’ve lifted, in poor positions, my back is probably the most pain free part of my body. I often wake up with lower back pain, but I think that has something to do with how I sleep. It goes away within a hour of getting up.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Ibuprofen and stretching, throw in an occasional visit to the Chiropractor to get things back in alignment.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have a couple bad disks in my back that give me some problems. I take a couple ibuprofen in the morning and do some stretching before I leave the house. I also do some stretching at lunch time and see a chiropractor once every other month or so.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just had back surgery and I still need to take pain pills, I start physical therapy next week. Hopefully that will cure the same pain I still have. But it’s only been 6 weeks now since the big cut.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Being nearly 70 years old with spinal cord compression in the neck, I’m still able to deadlift up to 65 pounds without causing myself harm. I used to have back pain, but bodybuilding sure cured that.

The difference between weightlifting and bodybuilding is that weightlifting emphasizes maximizing weights being lifted. Whereas, bodybuilding emphasizes flexibilty, toning and maximizing all muscle groups for optimum health.

Kirk: sounds like you’re talking about very, very heavy lifting when you’re speaking of knee injuries. Of course when you lift with emphasis on the quads, you’re absolutely going to be getting secondary emphasis on the other muscle groups as you mentioned, as well as on the back muscles.

The smart thing is to keep all loads as close to the body as possible, maintain proper posture with knees bent and not locked, and not to lift more than your body should take. My philosophy is to listen to the body when lifting.

When something weighs more than 85 pounds, it typically should be a 2-man job. However, I do know that many contractors ignore this and just want to get the job done. A one-time lift of a very heavy object is one thing, but contractors typically do repetitive lifting throughout the day, and this is where they encounter strains and tears.

Pat

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

My dad does a few sit ups and crunches daily, along with stretching. One of the docs told him a strong core will ‘hold’ your muscles where they’re supposed to be.

Works well, as he can just about out work me still at 74..

--Steve

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

My dad does a few sit ups and crunches daily, along with stretching. One of the docs told him a strong core will ‘hold’ your muscles where they’re supposed to be.

Works well, as he can just about out work me still at 74..

Right on! Doctor’s right with that advice!

Pat

No secrets here, but I do like TimelessQuality’s advice!

But just don’t go googling for all sorts of remedies for your back… This is the sort of thing that happens:

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.410 seconds