dcsimg

Awesome doors!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I was looking at ThisisCarpentry earlier and saw this article. Awesome!

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2014/04/04/out-of-sight-exterior-pocket-doors/

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That is a great set up. Creating wode open spaces like that is always a challenge from a cost and structural aspect.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Those are sweet doors. I wonder how well they seal.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Those are sweet doors. I wonder how well they seal.

I suspect they seal pretty well now. The test will be if they seal holds up over time. In there prime, old single pane windows sealed pretty good, Deterioration over time is what caused problems. The weatherproofing techniques used are similar to what I see in old windows.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

great concept.

redwood
    Pro

Dang that’s a lot of work. I think that I would be just as happy with some really nice french doors.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

kurt i was wondering the same thing about how they seal, there is a video that goes along with that article on youtube.. i find the best sealing doors are standard style doors with and outswing.. the windier it gets outside the harder the door is pushed into the weather stripping making a tighter seal

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Dang that’s a lot of work. I think that I would be just as happy with some really nice french doors.

That definitely looks like a ton of work, but it is a pretty neat project and I imagine he saved some cash still doing it himself. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing it himself.

I really appreciated the huge warning label at the beginning of the article showing transparency about his relationships w/the manufacturers of the products he used

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

the windier it gets outside the harder the door is pushed into the weather stripping making a tighter seal

I would have thought this too but we often get a wind that goes over our shop and creates a vacuum on that side that actual pulls the door outwards, off the seal. We switched it around to an inside swing and it performs much better.

Either way I think a tight seal is a good way to go.

Those doors are super cool, but I don’t think they would perform well as -40.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I imagine like any door, they will require maintenance and minor adjustments to keep them sealed and operating smoothly. It looks like he spent some time and thought on his weatherstripping placement and style.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

That was a sweet set-up but… I wasn’t sure about screens at first view which would be an absolutely necessity where I live. Too many insects to deal with. Mice are common here and with any gap they are in, let alone keeping them open like that. Just not practical here.

RSG
    Pro
    Niles, OH

Very nice set up but seems like a lot of work and I am thinking there is going to be a lot of maintenance to keep them working the way they should

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Very Awesome doors indeed.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Amazing but man is that a lot of work! Lol

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like the doors.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I myself prefer to have some kind of barrier between me and Nature such as mosquitoes and such. but very nice doors. I bet it is a real pain to keep the tracks clean.

wow…pretty bad ass. You’d want to get the details right that’s for sure

SamM
    Pro

Super cool. I could see it being nice for a summer cabin on the ocean.

WoodDoc
    Pro

Ya must be alot of work.

Reminds me of rule #1

“The rich get what they want”
    Lol

Interesting….I’ve never seen this

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man I’d love to have the shop and craftsmanship to pull that off!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.603 seconds