dcsimg

automotive light/dielectric grease

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TopNotch 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #612076

    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

    Just out of curiosity…….

    I have a rear tail light on my truck the burns out every few months.

    I put grease on my bulbs by habit so I am wondering if too much grease increases conductivity thus additional heat burning out my light.

    Thoughts?

    Working Pro since 1993

    Tom M

    #612081

    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

    Not 100% sure, take a look at the bulb socket and see if it has burn marks where the bulb goes it. I could be the socket and needs replacing.

    #612082

    Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

    From an electrical perspective, increased conductivity will not increase heat.

    What increases heat is increased resistance, which is commonly caused by a loose connection.

    Delta

    Goin' Down In Flames........

    #612109

    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

    I would not think the greas would cause a problem, It does help prevent corrosion of the contacts. we use it on our snow plow harnesses

    #612127

    MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

    My neighbor’s car went through bulbs in one of the rear running lights almost every month. Since only one bulb was affected, we ruled out electrical surges.

    The problem was a loose socket. While the bulb had a good electrical contact, it easily moved in socket. A loose connection between the bulb base and the socket can allow the bulb to vibrate more than usual. This is not good for the filament and it can break when the right combination of heating and vibration occur.

    After bending the tabs a bit, the bulb fit snug in the socket and it’s been over six months since the last bulb was changed.

    #612130

    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

    The grease won’t hurt. I use it on household bulbs. All outdoor fixtures, ceiling fans, and can lights. Those are the ones that always seem to be hard to remove. Not so with a light coat of grease

    #612142

    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

    My rear cargo brake lamp as well. The socket even looks melted.

    That and the rear right never the left.

    Working Pro since 1993

    Tom M

    #656419

    rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

    Just out of curiosity…….

    I have a rear tail light on my truck the burns out every few months.

    I put grease on my bulbs by habit so I am wondering if too much grease increases conductivity thus additional heat burning out my light.

    Thoughts?

    Have you tried to measure voltage of your tail light? Most likely the burn out is caused by over-voltage in long term

    #656423

    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

    Just out of curiosity…….

    I have a rear tail light on my truck the burns out every few months.

    I put grease on my bulbs by habit so I am wondering if too much grease increases conductivity thus additional heat burning out my light.

    Thoughts?

    Have you tried to measure voltage of your tail light? Most likely the burn out is caused by over-voltage in long term

    No but not sure that would tell the whole story.

    Working Pro since 1993

    Tom M

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.435 seconds