dcsimg

Attracting labor to the Industry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Our insurance carrier who focuses mainly on construction is in the process of creating an advertising / public service campaign to attract new people to the industry. This is similar to what Mike Rowe does but with a more local Minnesota connection. As more comes out about it i will share it. I thought this would be a good place for all to share what is going on in their areas to attract additional people to the industry.

For starters I just saw this promotion from Norboard “Thank A Framer” and thought I would share it.

Clev08
    Pro

Thanks for sharing this, I’m all about promoting the Industry as a whole. I’m In school to be a High school shop teacher and that’s all I will be doing I a few years!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Thanks Kurt! We are the unsung heroes!!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

My response, on behalf of all of the framers thanked………….

Your welcome

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

im surprised they don’t do this more, there are huge vacancies up here in toronto. My cousin has to work pretty much every weekend because they are so short. he likes the money but is getting burnt out

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Construction is a hard sell when “Sorry no paid day off – We do not have any paid holidays, sick leave or vacation”. Is the response when asked if your birthday is a paid day off.

Dirty

That was great Kurt,
    I’m definitely not a framer, nor pretend to be,
    I have framed quite a few basements, and small renos, but never built a new home, I have lived in a few new houses and other places,
    One thing I can be very grateful for, especially when the weather is freezing cold and very windy and storms,
    When I’m nice and comfortable in our house
    I can appreciate the skilled professionals that put up my roof walls and so on, knowing we are dry and warm.
    To bad more people would not recognize the base foundation and structures of the houses they buy,
    Most people just look at the finish product,

That being said, thanks for the great video Kurt

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great video Kurt, Thank you for sharing.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Great video, agreed we need more of these. Thanks for sharing Kurt

A Working Pro since 2004

This is great for your local community and industry nice to see people caring about it .

Always willing to learn .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Through our builders association at the state and national level, the lack of manpower is one of the main concerns of builders and subcontractors out there. It is a problem that will only get worse as people age out of the work force and there are few coming in at younger ages.

Lately it seems like I spend most of my time in the field working with the crew instead of in the office where I should be. A guy just has to do what it takes to get it done i guess.

Wow, that brings back some memories. I remember stomping through the mud wrestling those gluelams.

I come from the south. I don’t know if there are apprenticeship programs back east or up north. I’ve always thought there were. I just know it’s not something we had in Texas or Louisiana. I was fortunate enough to cut my teeth framing custom homes with some experienced men.
    When I was framing I would run into folks everywhere that mentioned they used to frame…. When I asked how long? Most answered less than six months. I stayed in framing for 4 years before I moved on. And I carried that experience with me.

I have treated every bit of work like school over the years. It has led me to be a man of experience and pretty good precision. Every day I learn something new. I try to pour it all into every cut, screw, and nail. I’m not the greatest, but I try hard.

The point of my rambling is this: I don’t find this mentality in any young people I work around. If I show them something, the next day it’s a blank slate all over again.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

If I show them something, the next day it’s a blank slate all over again.

I got a guy on the site like this now. I show and explain something and the next day it’s gone.

Dirty

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If I show them something, the next day it’s a blank slate all over again.

I got a guy on the site like this now. I show and explain something and the next day it’s gone.

Been there also, made an offer to a guy today, not a lot of experience, but appears to be willing to learn. He is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

This shortage of good help seems to be across the board, from framing, to electricians, plumbers, HVAC, and everything in between. I talked to a surveyor on a flight I was on awhile back, he was telling me statistics of how many of them are retiring in the next 10 years, and how few new guys are coming on. I have 2 sons of my own,in highschool now, and would love to get them on board in a trade of some sort. Seems the schools here push them to go through college, and many of them have no clue what they want to do in life.

I wish I had more opportunities to show my boys how to do the work I do, but until they’re out of school I don’t get many chances.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good help is very hard to get over here.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This shortage of good help seems to be across the board, from framing, to electricians, plumbers, HVAC, and everything in between.

It is because very few people are selecting the trades. When I went to college in the 70s, 17% of the high school graduates went to college now it is 70% of the high school graduates go to college. See a problem here? There are two; fewer people to go into the trades and an over supply of white collar workers. The wages in the white collar industry are falling for entry level while the wages in the blue collar sector have stagnated. What needs to happen and will happen is blue collar wages will rise to cure the shortage of workers. Once people can make as much or more with their hands without incurring tons of college tuition debt the worker shortage will end.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Until the parents out there realize that there are great careers in the trades and there is the ability to make a good living, there will be a shortage of labor. I read a study that said 80 or 90% of parents would be disappointed if their children ended up in a blue collar job. With that, it really shriothe pool of candidates.

With all the push for high tech jobs and careers and high tech manufacturing, who will build the factories and maintain the equipment in them if we do not have the skilled labor to do it.

Until the parents out there realize that there are great careers in the trades and there is the ability to make a good living, there will be a shortage of labor. I read a study that said 80 or 90% of parents would be disappointed if their children ended up in a blue collar job. With that, it really shriothe pool of candidates.

With all the push for high tech jobs and careers and high tech manufacturing, who will build the factories and maintain the equipment in them if we do not have the skilled labor to do it.

Definitely agree with that Kurt,
    I’m in the manufacturing side, and definitely see a problem with new employees getting into the trade
    And also, many manufacturers are not hiring full time employees, but rather on contract,
    I see around 1 to 2 out of a dozen workers coming into the shop that actually have the capacity and capabilities to do the job properly,
    It’s very sad,

Definitely need to get more people trained and interested in the trades,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I read a study that said 80 or 90% of parents would be disappointed if their children ended up in a blue collar job. With that, it really shriothe pool of candidates.

That’s a problem too which is driving the oversupply of white collar workers an a shortage in the trades. Wages though will need to raise in the trades in order to balance it out. Once the point is reached where it takes so long to get anything because of a labor shortage in the trades, wages will go up (supply and demand) then more people will enter because the financial reward will exceed what they can make in a white collar job.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.464 seconds