dcsimg

At a Standstill

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m going to breakdown and say I don’t know what I’m doing at this point. Built this deck, then went back and did concrete work for an under deck shed. Will be installing an underneath drainage system, then the walls for the shed. The customer is telling me he wants a roll up door for the entrance, immediately as you walk out of his basement doors. #1 I don’t know what he means by roll up door other the metal storefront or hurricane shutters you can pull down. #2 Do I need to add a header or beam to hang this door. I’m at a mental block right now, and husband is not able to help. Been stuck on this for a week now. Trying very hard to not tell this guy I don’t know exactly what he means by roll up door.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@tarac This might be something that @svensshutters could point you in the right direction.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ya might talk to @svensshutters about this too, He’s the expert as this is what he does

Anonymous
    Inactive

@tarac This might be something that @svensshutters could point you in the right direction.

Haha, Posted at the same time. GMTA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok guys thank you! Will send him a PM. Appreciate it

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs that’s exactly what I was thinking, but roof will be flat and not have that much clearance though

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs that’s exactly what I was thinking, but roof will be flat and not have that much clearance though

Ok Hmmm, Wonder if it’s possible to have the track curve at the top and continue on flat like a regular panel garage door. So rather than it actually ‘roll’ up it would just continue up flat on the track?? This is definitely a good question for Sven, He’ll know. Good luck

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs That’s a thought, and would seem logical. I did send him a PM. Thanks again

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs That’s a thought, and would seem logical. I did send him a PM. Thanks again

I really think something like that does exist, Seems like I’ve seen them at some storage facilities. Would that solve the problem?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really think something like that does exist, Seems like I’ve seen them at some storage facilities. Would that solve the problem?

yes, something like that would. Don’t think I can make it as tall of course or even a regular door heighth. It’s all after the fact and was added on after my framing was up. I’ve got 96″ at my highest elevation, then I’ve got decking, under that there’s 2×10 joist at 16oc, then will have the drainage system under joists. Everything I’ve drawn up looks like a hobbit door to me because I’ve been worried about something “rolling up on a big roll and not having clearance.

I’m sure if you get in touch with a garage door installer in your area, they can give you all the information you will need, I have worked in the garage door industry for a couple of years, and we do have some roll up steel doors for sure. And yes they do need a little more support for header, but as Dabbs mentioned, a standard door might be a cheaper and more feasible option. If I understand correctly, the roll up door would be underneath the decking right. And not directly accessible from the basement, in other words, he can’t be into the storage from the basement?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sure if you get in touch with a garage door installer in your area, they can give you all the information you will need, I have worked in the garage door industry for a couple of years, and we do have some roll up steel doors for sure. And yes they do need a little more support for header, but as Dabbs mentioned, a standard door might be a cheaper and more feasible option. If I understand correctly, the roll up door would be underneath the decking right. And not directly accessible from the basement, in other words, he can’t be into the storage from the basement?

I didn’t mean a standard door, If you’re talking about a sectioned panel garage door type thing. I meant to stay with a metal roll up door but instead of it being stored in a ‘roll’ when it’s up it just goes up staying in tracks like a standard sectioned panel garage door does. That way it wouldn’t require more than a couple inches. Hmm, Hope that made sense LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s something like I’m talking about, Basically a coiless roll up door. Notice in the pic the far door that’s open is up tight against the ceiling http://www.obrieninstall.com/content/rytec-spiral-lh-steel-door

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes! @Dabbs….something like this would work. @BoschmanBrian thank you for the info and tips. I did call about 3 and have yet to hear back. That’s why I brought this question to the forum. I’m sure they’re busy with everyone wanting to have things sealed and secure before winter. I also PMed @svensshutters and when he can, he said he would help me as well.

My overhead door guy calls roll up doors any kind of garage door like that. Not just the ones that roll up on them selves but also the panel ones that use tracks. Maybe this guy is the same way. Bring him both types and see what he likes.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My overhead door guy calls roll up doors any kind of garage door like that. Not just the ones that roll up on them selves but also the panel ones that use tracks. Maybe this guy is the same way. Bring him both types and see what he likes.

You might be right on that, At least we can hope. That would solve the problem

Tara:

This is what you are looking for I think.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/exterior-doors/garage-doors/shop-all-garage-doors/c-12358.htm?Spec_Style_facet=Roll-Up+Door

I already tried that, She doesn’t have the headroom. That one says it needs 15.5″

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

They have a 4×6, that would give her enough. Hope they like the hobbit look.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank all of you gentlemen for your input and help. I ended up sending him every link that everyone provided, and @Warren6810…that was what he was talking about exactly. Will get the drainage system installed then go from there. I’ve banged my head in the wall for a week now, trying not look like a lunatic, and it just took one day on here. I owe you! Thank you guys very much!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.571 seconds