dcsimg

Are the Bosch vacs worth the cost?

This topic contains 142 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 143 total)
  • Author

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’ve always run hoses on BOTH ends of the shop vac, the inlet AND the outlet. I pipe the outlet air outside, or away from my work area, so the exhaust air doesn’t kick up any settled dust,

CB that is a great idea. Never thought of running a hose on the exhaust as well.

That is a neat idea!
    Just the other day I was doing masonry work and didn’t have a blower on site so I plugged the hose in the exhaust and blew out all the masonry dust before relaying.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just the other day I was doing masonry work and didn’t have a blower on site so I plugged the hose in the exhaust and blew out all the masonry dust before relaying.

I have done that before as well. Nice to have that option at times.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes, they’ve already made dust extractors. That was already established prior to the original poster’s observations. I guess his point, and now my point, is where to strike a balance between both near term and long term costs to get the job done… and with that, is the job getting done commensurately better?

Where does one draw the line? The single phase, 120 volt, portable/wheel mounted, S26 HEPA dust extractor at my local White Cap (now HD Supply, and this branch specializes in concrete work) is around $2,699.00. Have a look at the link immediately below:

https://www.whitecap.com/shop/wc/p/s26-hepa-dust-extractor-vacuum-120v-erma-pullman-200900059a

Sporting 258 CFM, and 100″ of water lift, operating on single phase current with the ability to switch between 120v or 230v operation, what’s not to like? Is THAT worth the price? If not, then why not?

For those who feel that the Bosch is good enough, gets the job done, and paying 5 times more for the Ermator Pullman just isn’t worth the price premium… please dwell on that thought for a moment longer. If you are completely satisfied with your VAC140a, or VAC090a, what would motivate you to put out another $2,700.00 for something that, as far as you can see, can be accomplished with what you already have.

Still dwelling on this thought? I hope so, because if you are, you are now once again wearing the same shoes that the original poster and I are wearing.

Thats a leap CB – and there is no need to go down that slippery slope. The question isnt whether its better to go to a different vacuum despite a price increase, its whether it is worth moving from a wet/dry shop vac to a dedicated dust extractor vac.

Within each, there are varying degrees of performance, and price points, but what we are largely discussing is a change of type, much as an extractor vac is not a Dust Collector either. All perform the job of “sucking up the dust” but do so with different focuses, whether air movement/CFM (The big DCs) or Static Pressure (the Vac form factor) and achieve different results.

I have never heard of the extractors you listed, but it looks cool. Assuming it is better than the Bosch/Festool/Fein I still see it as a question of a $50,000 car vs a $100,000 car. The more expensive one may be better, but very likely I start getting into diminishing returns, and dont see as much of a difference in doubling the price as I would get from a $25K car to that $50K one.

Wow, I like my VAC090A, it does what I need and it is a lot less expensive, and where I work mostly in my shop I can also afford a dedicated DC.

Will

CB
    Pro

The more expensive one may be better, but very likely I start getting into diminishing returns, and dont see as much of a difference in doubling the price as I would get from a $25K car to that $50K one.

Ah… then you DO understand my dilemma.

Hangman
    Pro

Big Yes! The Bosch Airsweep Vacuums are worth the value without a doubt. There are many different types of bags you can use with it also. Since mainly I’m doing carpentry and sanding, I have the reusable fleece bag which enhances and prolongs the HEPA Filter. They also have disposable fleece bags, disposable paper bags, and plastic bags for liquids and other types of mess. THe Airsweep is much quieter than anything Ridgid though I do have both.

As mentioned I use it with my jigsaws, sanders, table saw and also my miter saw. For more control my preference is the semi-auto filter because it has a controler on the tool end of the hose. As others mentioned it does also have L-Boxx integrations and no mar wheels for delicate surfaces. Also the tool power up activation and auto shut off is such a benefit. If taken care of it’s easy to see the unit last decades, in the long run that’s savings too! A HEPA dust collection strategy is a benefit to you health, clients health and the environment in general.

Such a great investment so if you can don’t thing twice, you’;ll never regret it in my opinion.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The more expensive one may be better, but very likely I start getting into diminishing returns, and dont see as much of a difference in doubling the price as I would get from a $25K car to that $50K one.

Ah… then you DO understand my dilemma.

if you want an onsite and slightly portable dust collector, look no further the oneida will fit your bill. For a smaller less powerful but quieter vac the bosch will fit the bill.

CB
    Pro

r-ice, I looked at Oneida online just now, at your suggestion. Oneida has dust collection systems that range from $99.00 to around $9,900.00 fully outfitted, and that’s just their portable systems. Their fixed systems stretch the bill to $99,000.00 and beyond, installation depending.

So their metaphorical garage has everything from Honda Civics to Rolls Royce Phantoms, and everything from Porsches to semi trucks in between. Wow.

So with all that variety, I’m thinking that you had a specific Oneida model that came to mind with your recommendation. Which one would that be?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I use the Oneida Dust Deputy in front of a shop vac to eliminate a lot of the larger particles that get into the Vac. With the dust separator, you can keep 95% or more of the particles out of your vac or bag which speeds dumping and saves a lot on bags.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Oneida bucket maybe the ultimate solution for the Bosch vacs. Other that that unless they come out with a different design I’m not putting that on my vac

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Big Yes! The Bosch Airsweep Vacuums are worth the value without a doubt. There are many different types of bags you can use with it also. Since mainly I’m doing carpentry and sanding, I have the reusable fleece bag which enhances and prolongs the HEPA Filter. They also have disposable fleece bags, disposable paper bags, and plastic bags for liquids and other types of mess. THe Airsweep is much quieter than anything Ridgid though I do have both.

As mentioned I use it with my jigsaws, sanders, table saw and also my miter saw. For more control my preference is the semi-auto filter because it has a controler on the tool end of the hose. As others mentioned it does also have L-Boxx integrations and no mar wheels for delicate surfaces. Also the tool power up activation and auto shut off is such a benefit. If taken care of it’s easy to see the unit last decades, in the long run that’s savings too! A HEPA dust collection strategy is a benefit to you health, clients health and the environment in general.

Such a great investment so if you can don’t thing twice, you’;ll never regret it in my opinion.

So, you have no trouble with plugging your miter saw into the autostart plug on the unit? I’ve seen it discussed here before, and I’ve heard some say a miter saw is too much amps for it.

So, you have no trouble with plugging your miter saw into the autostart plug on the unit? I’ve seen it discussed here before, and I’ve heard some say a miter saw is too much amps for it.

With a followup being, does it have its own breaker to pop, or is the amount based on an assumption of a 15A circuit? My shop is pretty much all 20A, so that is a relevant difference

CB
    Pro

The Bosch 15 amp glide saw (GCM12SD) will consume up to 1 amp of current in the first second of trigger on, up to 3 amps of current in the second and third seconds of trigger on, and up to 10 amps of current after about 3.5 seconds of trigger on, diminishing to between 8.5 amps and 9 amps of current beyond the fourth second of trigger on time, and this is all with no load and the .071″ thick blade that ships with the saw.

And the foregoing testing applies to the North American version of this saw, without the Euro spec “soft start” module in the motor housing (I opened the motor housing and checked for it after measuring the current draw).

So, depending on the time delay to trip of either the circuit breaker in the genset or fixed service panel supplying the power on the job/property, any over current protection in the plug or distro box the tools are plugged into, and/or whatever current protection time delay strategy is in the Bosch AirSweep itself, there might exist a sort of “staggering” of loads on the shared circuit, where the Bosch vac fires up, stabilizes, then the glide saw fires up slowly, peaks to 10 amps, and stabilizes at around 8.5 amps… AT NO LOAD.

Now, though, to the purpose. Some wood has to be cut. That’s the entire idea, right? I’ve not yet tested the amperage load on dripping wet heavy 4×6’s of douglas fir… but I imagine that current will easily jump to 13 amps when the chips are flying, and spike at 15 amps if I push the blade fast. So call it 14 amps, plus what? 7 amps? for the Bosch vac? 14+7 equals 21 sustained amps in operation… which would seem to me to cause an issue.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I routinely run my table saw on the auto start plug on my VAC090A…no issues whatsoever.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

CB
    Pro

Jon… what is the rated amperage of your table saw?

Hangman
    Pro

It’s never been an issue with my Airsweep to plug the 12″ Glide into the auto plug. Crazyilly enough I have plugged the mitre into the vac and run the both off the Dewalt Portable Powerstation. There is video of that on my Instagram!

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I stopped running my vac on bigger tools like the miter saw and stuff it broke the switch… twice. I wish I would’ve gotten the full auto because it’s rated for higher amps. I was a little disappointed in that. I knew it was rated for less amps but ran the tools any way. I do this all the time on the festool back and never have a problem. They are rated for around 5 amps and yet made to work with their track saw which is 10 amps.

Hangman
    Pro

Well are you running a 12″ Bosch Glide Miter Saw? They promote that the two work together but my Airsweep is from last year, would have to look at the Amp specs. Also I’ve run my 15amp Skilsaw Portable Table Saw on it too, pushed both very hard and no troubles whatsoever.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Jon… what is the rated amperage of your table saw?

@cb, I have the Bosch 4100 table saw. Its rated at 15 amps.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Hangman
    Pro

The Bosch 4100 table saw may be more robust than mine. The Skilsaw Worm Drive Portable Table Saw has a soft start which may make loads of difference. Must say it’s great model considering my space, the worm drive cuts through anything. Skil engineers took a lot of advice from Bosch since they are connected. The Skilsaw Table Saw also has a larger 25″ inch cut capacity than to equivalent Bosch model. Serious outside of it not being battery operated it’s amazing!

Attachments:

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.588 seconds